Opinions on Advanced Bionics HiRes Optima 120 softwares

Dr. Mario

Reaction score
Since I have one AB Naida CI Q70 BTE sound processor already, for left ear, and am getting it programmed, possibly at the same time I get another Q70 pair for right ear to replace the 7-years-old Harmony BTE that's gradually falling apart, I am deciding on the software options to USE in the newer BTE sound processors. And, yes, I like the newer BTE sound processor, just one problem: it's awkward removing the Lithium-ion battery off the CPU portion, even though I am sure I can figure it out.

I figured I will ask you guys for your opinions on the HiRes Optima before I proceed as I can't afford to sacrifice the audio quality that I already got with the original HiRes 120 strategy software. Both good and bad.

Optima gives varying results because it depends on the user. Ideally, you should notice little to no difference between Fidelity 120 and Optima. Some users notice a big difference because they just happen to have certain settings that the automatic adjustments done by Optima result in a different sound. Most people actually prefer Optima. You might notice a slight difference at first and then one day later really notice no difference. When I go from Optima to Fidelity 120, it mostly sounds the same now.. none of that shock (like going from hot to cold, for those that might read it as literal and run around going on about shocks from implants) that you get when switching strategies.

The main reason for sounding different is Optima automatically adjusts the pulse width you get with Fidelity 120. You'll just have to give it a shot.

Ah, gotcha. I will retune my mapping on both ears, so I will give it a try (it would be good for the large 230 mAh Li-ion battery to last long enough for my likings).

Back