Opinion survey; isolation in mainstream oral only schools

Hi Rick, thanks for your post. I appreciate it and hope that we can find a common ground to be buds. Rock on, and I hope you and yours are well and happy.

Me too!

and rick............it's awesome that your daughter did really well being mainstreamed. There are some kids who really do THRIVE in the mainstream.
However, it's pretty much a given that even kids who do well in the mainstream often have significent social-emotional issues. I know for example that social-emotional adjustment seems to be a perennial at the Clarke Mainstream conference as well as AG Bell conferences.
We're not anti-mainstream at ALL. More like, anti-mainstream as always the best educational setting.
It really does seem like organizations like AG Bell etc see mainstreaming as some sort of glorious utopia, with NO downsides.
It can be an appropreate setting for some kids.......but NOT all.And don't even get me started on the downsides. Its great that you had a great experiance.
Heck if mainstreaming was so good, then how come sped student acheivement hasn't risen as a whole in the thirty years that its become the norm?

and rick............it's awesome that your daughter did really well being mainstreamed. There are some kids who really do THRIVE in the mainstream.
However, it's pretty much a given that even kids who do well in the mainstream often have significent social-emotional issues. I know for example that social-emotional adjustment seems to be a perennial at the Clarke Mainstream conference as well as AG Bell conferences.
We're not anti-mainstream at ALL. More like, anti-mainstream as always the best educational setting.
It really does seem like organizations like AG Bell etc see mainstreaming as some sort of glorious utopia, with NO downsides.
It can be an appropreate setting for some kids.......but NOT all.And don't even get me started on the downsides. Its great that you had a great experiance.
Heck if mainstreaming was so good, then how come sped student acheivement hasn't risen as a whole in the thirty years that its become the norm?

Morning, Happy Sunday to all. Can you tell me where I can cite the data about the sped student achievement test? I forgot to mention when I started this thread that I am doing a research assignment for school about the emotional effects of mainstreaming. I am trying to represent all sides and then come to a conclusion in the end of what I think. If you want to give me a quote it would be cool. Thanks... And, yes I am too am glad that Ricks daughter thrived in mainstream school and that her CI works so well for her. She obviously had a lot of support from home etc. Many parents can't be that involved in their childs schooling, one from ignorance, two from money problems, other siblings, and having to work all the time. Some jobs will fire you if you miss for an IEP meeting. And of course, if the IEP is insufficetnt,, THe parents don't really even know it.

THanks for all... Forgive my typos,,, I am inundated with homework and just trying to hurry through everything I do... :)

I forgot to mention... Please wiegh in

I posted a thread this week asking for opinions about mainstreaming and the emotional affects it has on Deaf children if they feel isolated.

I forgot to mention that the survey if for a shool research project. So any and all opinions are welcome. I need enough responses from the Deaf community to be able to use the data.

Like I mentioned, I don't want to base my paper on the experts only, because most of them are hearing and don't have a personal view based on experience. That is why I was asking for your help to tell your story. Both sides of the issue will be represented in my paper to the best of my ability.

I will post the paper when it is done.

I hate to post two posts about the same issue, but I don't think my first post was very clear about the nature of the quesiton .. Thanks guys,,, :) still chasin the dream for a better tomorrow...

I posted a thread this week asking for opinions about mainstreaming and the emotional affects it has on Deaf children if they feel isolated.

I forgot to mention that the survey if for a shool research project. So any and all opinions are welcome. I need enough responses from the Deaf community to be able to use the data.

Like I mentioned, I don't want to base my paper on the experts only, because most of them are hearing and don't have a personal view based on experience. That is why I was asking for your help to tell your story. Both sides of the issue will be represented in my paper to the best of my ability.

I hate to post two posts about the same issue, but I don't think my first post was very clear about the nature of the quesiton .. Thanks guys,,, :) still chasin the dream for a better tomorrow...
Mod Note: Threads merged.

There's nothing wrong with bumping a previous thread to state your intentions. Posting a new thread that's similar to an old thread will likely make members think that it's a repeat and is likely to be ignored. Bumping it with a new message will still be read and more response will likely be made. :thumb:

There's nothing wrong with bumping a previous thread to state your intentions. Posting a new thread that's similar to an old thread will likely make members think that it's a repeat and is likely to be ignored. Bumping it with a new message will still be read and more response will likely be made. :thumb:

Thanks,,, :) you rock!

I agree. The IEP does not help with psychosocial issues, or with socialization. And, quite often, the IEP is not even sufficient to help with the educational issues. The mainstream is guilty, in the case of the deaf.hoh student, of not including services that are appropriate or sufficient for education. The majority of IEPs for deaf children do not even include input from a TOD, but are completed by a team including a general education classroom teacher, a generic special ed. teacher, a counselor,( if you're lucky!), a principal, and a very confused parent. And the teams are known to be very coercive in getting parents to sign off on the IEP with as few services as they can get away with providing.

Hey Jillo, what is a TOD? I know about an IEP, but not a TOD. Thanks, THe Problem Child

Copied from another thread

During my early years at school, I didnt notice that I was different and there was no "one time" that occurred to make me realize that I was different. It started subtle around 5th grade. I think that was when the kids I knew since kindergarten started rejecting me for no reason. At first, I didnt understand it and then the bullying came next. That was when I started realize that I wasnt like them. It really hurted a lot cuz those kids were my neighborhood and school friends since I was 5 years old and all of sudden, I am not good enough for them. Middle school was pure pure pure hell...trying to fit in but couldnt understand why I wasnt able to fully fit in with any groups. Yes, I had friends but even with them, I felt different. During high school, things got better for a few reasons...my best friend who is deaf finally was able to go to the same school as I did, the student population was triple the size of my elementary and middle school population so it was easy for me to blend in, and the maturity level. However, the void feeling still grew bigger and bigger because I started worrying about my future and what kinds of job I could get since I had never been exposed to any Deaf role models..just hearing only.

I hated feeling different...I was the kind of person who needed to fit in.

I was the opposite run away from deaf school when I was in h.s.

Did you feel like running away when you were little or just after you got old enough to want to experience the world a little more? Do you think that having a base education and culture in Deaf school was key in making you confident as a Deaf person, so you could then chance running away?

Was there a defining reason that you left?

Note: this is a survey for a research paper at school. THe subject is the emotional affect on mainstreamed or oral only taught kids.

Thanks for participating. :)

Hi I Was Born With A Hearing Loss And Now Its Severe To Profound Unfortunality I Was In Mainstreamed Class Had Speech Therapy Everyday I Was Pulled Out Of English And Math Just Basics Classes. I Never Had What I Have Now In College. When I Went To College Back In 2004 For The 1st Time Iw As Put In Non Credit Courses For 3 Years Bc When I Took The Test.. I Didnt Know Wut It Was Bc I Never Learned Anything. They Treated Me Like Crap, I Was Isolated, Made Fun Of Etc. Being Pulled Out In Mainstreamed Classees Sucked. And Now Till This Day I Wish Iw As At A Different School A Deaf School And Now That I Just Learned Asl 2 Yrs Ago And Im Not The President Of The Club For 2 Yrs Also Its Just A Better Life For Me. And I Wouldnt Change This For The World Bc Now Im Fluent. I Can Hear Somewhat Still But Nothing Like I Used To. Also In Mainstreamed Class I Had 5 People In The Class And I Had An Aid With Me And A Hudge Speaker On My Desk And The Teacher Had Microphone Bc They Thought That Would Help Me. I Struggled Growing Up But Now That Im 22 Yrs Old I Am Happy That Im Me And I Know Asl And I Love The Deaf Communtiy.

Hi I Was Born With A Hearing Loss And Now Its Severe To Profound Unfortunality I Was In Mainstreamed Class Had Speech Therapy Everyday I Was Pulled Out Of English And Math Just Basics Classes. I Never Had What I Have Now In College. When I Went To College Back In 2004 For The 1st Time Iw As Put In Non Credit Courses For 3 Years Bc When I Took The Test.. I Didnt Know Wut It Was Bc I Never Learned Anything. They Treated Me Like Crap, I Was Isolated, Made Fun Of Etc. Being Pulled Out In Mainstreamed Classees Sucked. And Now Till This Day I Wish Iw As At A Different School A Deaf School And Now That I Just Learned Asl 2 Yrs Ago And Im Not The President Of The Club For 2 Yrs Also Its Just A Better Life For Me. And I Wouldnt Change This For The World Bc Now Im Fluent. I Can Hear Somewhat Still But Nothing Like I Used To. Also In Mainstreamed Class I Had 5 People In The Class And I Had An Aid With Me And A Hudge Speaker On My Desk And The Teacher Had Microphone Bc They Thought That Would Help Me. I Struggled Growing Up But Now That Im 22 Yrs Old I Am Happy That Im Me And I Know Asl And I Love The Deaf Communtiy.

Thanks so much for sharing...:)

Dreamchaser:

In my son's case, the answer is no. He has a nice group of friends since kindergarten and they really look out for one another.

I was raised in mainstream at elementary school. I wasn't alone at school. I was with deaf and hoh group in classroom. I didn't like my first teacher. She was very mean! She slapped on my face for not use my speech. Our classmate used a SEE sign language and speak with voice both. I don't use my voice at all. I really frustrated to learn how to speech. I do like my old speech therapy. She was very nice to me. But My teacher was so mean! After She passed away. I got a new teacher. She was my favorite teacher. Then I transfer to other elementary school in Northern. My last teacher is hoh. She was okay to me. She told me to do use voice with sign languages. I like my other speech therapy teacher. She was so sweet! I do understand her and lipreading. I was in good grades at classes. My english level was 4 grader when I was 4 grader. My friend told me about go to Deaf School. I was alike what is it alike?? I made mistake for join to deaf school. My mom said no at me. I was so stubborn. I told her it was my decide to join there. After I joined to Deaf school in 5 grader. The staff were rejected me and put me into 1 grader on English and Reading. I was so pissed off @ her! The worksheet was so easy for me! I got good grader like A+ My old teacher was surprise that I'm so smarter than other students in my class. I transfer to 4 level on reading and English with smarter group! That's why I didn't like how deaf school rejected me and put in low level. I was so pissed off!!! It was not my faulted. I wish I could graduate from Mainstream High School in first place. If I graduate from High School. I would get a Diploma for sure! I would go to college so early. But Deaf school was stink education and screwed up! Just respect how I do feeling with Mainstream and Deaf School between.

Back