Opening a docx file that was created in google docs

Jane B.

Reaction score
We have a new pastor and he has sent me an article for our church newsletter that he created using Google Docs but saved as a docx file. I cannot get WordPerfect Office X4 to open it even though I can open docx files that others have used Microsoft Word to create. Any ideas?

Below is a box I can pull up about the problem as shown in my Firefox browser.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: wpwin14.exe
Application Version: 14.0.0.755
Application Timestamp: 4a400e51
Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.6195
Fault Module Timestamp: 4dcddbf3
Exception Offset: 00008aa0
Exception Code: c000000d
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b6aa
Additional Information 2: b6aaf45ad86cc9d3cc56c956ab0fe00c
Additional Information 3: 794c
Additional Information 4: 794c1c475043ca64c39e3f4d0db8e266

Thanks for any help any of you can give.

Look like to me that your WordPerfect Office X4 is pretty old. It may not work well with later version of DOCX file. That's one possibility.

Ask him to save it as text. And again as PDF file so you can see specific formatting. Then you can recreate it from those (manually or cut & paste)

Have you tried renaming it to .doc to see if it will open that way?

Have you tried renaming it to .doc to see if it will open that way?

I don't know what would happen if I tried to save the file which it appears to me to be the only way to rename it. I was looking for a way to just open it and then copy and paste into the newsletter. Unless I discover a way to open it from what others know, I will just have him continue to send me his articles in Google Docs. I can copy and paste from there.

Thanks for trying to help.

Ahh yes... you'd have to save to your drive to rename. I do not recall if you can rename within Google docs (or Google Drive)- you'd probably need permissions. I haven't really used Google docs but am familiar with Google Drive and Google Sheets (aka Excel).

@Jane B. You could send this file and I will try to convert from docx file to doc file via apps.

Just upload to MEGA and send a link via PM.

@Jane B. You could send this file and I will try to convert from docx file to doc file via apps.

Just upload to MEGA and send a link via PM.

Thank you for the offer but this is not a one time thing. This will be something that is coming to me at least monthly for years. We are on the way working together to find what will work for both of us.

Thank you for the offer but this is not a one time thing. This will be something that is coming to me at least monthly for years. We are on the way working together to find what will work for both of us.

Ok, you can use Google Docs to check or work with this file, they are free.

Back