Only deaf for a month now!

SilentFairyGirl

Reaction score
I have only just become deaf. I live in a house of all hearing ppl. I have starting teaching my self to sign but I just want to know will I feel alone for ever? I have been placed into a world and culture I know nothing about. I feel like I don't belong in either world. How do I meet other deaf ppl? How do I become more out going? Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

:welcome: to AllDeaf and what state do you live in so I can help you ?

Welcome to AD. I hope you will find what you are looking for and enjoy your stay with us.. Happy posting away! :)

Herzlich Willkommen zu AD

Come and share your posts here with us...

I got very sick and had a very high fever. When The fever left so did my hearing. They say nerv damage. Can't be fixed. So I got to live, but at the cost was my hearing. So when I look at the whole picture I guess I am lucky to just be here you know. I just miss hearing and wonder if I will get passed the deprestion.

You can contact the Deaf school that uses ASL as the primary mode of communication in your state and ask for where to go to ASL classes and you can also contact this Deaf organization http://www.nad.org and explain that you are slowly going Deaf and want to know where to learn ASL and they will probably tell you where ASL classes are. Your best best is the Deaf school that uses ASL as they usually have ASL classes which is alots better than going to university ASL classes usually run by a well meaning somebody teaching ASL but has no real background with the Deaf community or unless that university teacher does happen to be Deaf and does teaches ASL classes then you are lucky. In the meantime you can learn online for free at: http://www.aslpro.com and welcome to the Deaf world with all its ups and down of everyday life. God Bless !!!!! :angel:

In addition, I would suggest joining SHHH. I know I complain a lot about the Hearing Health monotone focus that they have, but for sudden deaf folks, I would strongly strongly suggest SHHH.......especially since most people here have been deaf since a very early age. You're welcome to hang out here....

SilentFairyGirl said:
I got very sick and had a very high fever. When The fever left so did my hearing. They say nerv damage. Can't be fixed. So I got to live, but at the cost was my hearing. So when I look at the whole picture I guess I am lucky to just be here you know. I just miss hearing and wonder if I will get passed the deprestion.
Welcome to AD.
There are a lot of people here to help you. Search the messageboard and see if you can find similar people / posts.

If you don't mind me asking,
You said you had high fever resulting in nerve damage.
Can you tell us more about that?

Welcome aboard, SilentFairyGirl! Do you live in a community where deaf resources are immediately available?
:grouphug:
You have come to the right place.

SilentFairyGirl said:
I have only just become deaf. I live in a house of all hearing ppl. I have starting teaching my self to sign but I just want to know will I feel alone for ever? I have been placed into a world and culture I know nothing about. I feel like I don't belong in either world. How do I meet other deaf ppl? How do I become more out going? Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

I'm so sorry you are going through this right now! Is there any way you could get hearing aid to hear some?

I know this is very difficult for you...I had a great friend who grew up hearing until the age of 15..He was paralized half of his face and lost his hearings. He used to sing and play instrument beautifully. Many years later, he passed away because of brain tumor.

Anyway, I'm here for you if you need to talk. Feel free to PM me and I want to give you a big :hug:

:welcome: TO ALLDEAF! I THINK BY BEEN WITH THE REST OF US YOU WON'T FEEL SO ALONE. READ, POST, LEARN, LAUGH, CRY, WITH THE REST OF US. :angel:

To all

Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome. It is very nice of all of you to take the time to send a welcome out to a new person on the site. Lot of love and hugs go out to all of you.

Back