Only deaf for a month now!

Welcome to AD. I joined a few months ago because my tinnitus is getting worse. There are some days that I cant hear anything and there are some days that I can hear everything. It is frustrating but right now the hearing loss is not permanent.

It is a hard ajustment but you will over come it, try looking for groups around your house.

:welcome: to All Deaf!! I've been learning sign language for 4 years now. Its a new thing I started when I got together with my wife because she's deaf also. I'm hearing so are our 2 kids togeher. Its a little difficult to sign at 1st but have enjoyed learning it all this time. Still got a ways to go. But I'll get it down one day.

I have only just become deaf. I live in a house of all hearing ppl. I have starting teaching my self to sign but I just want to know will I feel alone for ever? I have been placed into a world and culture I know nothing about. I feel like I don't belong in either world. How do I meet other deaf ppl? How do I become more out going? Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks

Welcome to AD! :wave: Dave

P.S. This is my first week of learning to sign ASL. I am trying a free self-taught curriculum from ASL University (ASL - American Sign Language). I also have nerve deafness as well as other hearing problems brought on by a degenerative neurological disorder.

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf SilentFairyGirl!!! You will never feel alone once you take that small step into the Deaf community, and a giant leap into making so many friends. Check with your State Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, they will have so much information on different Deaf Organizations, events that are happening, where to go to meet the deaf and hard of hearing at social events.
I wish you the best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask any questions that may arise! Have fun posting, and welcome aboard!

Seeing that you posted it last year. How are you coping with your deafness now?
I tend to see that there are pros and cons to everything. Sure, there are cons to being deaf in the hearing world. There are pros to being deaf. I can think of few things now. We get our good night sleep in spite of noisy environment. (Once I fell asleep with my hearing aids on and the noisy radiator scared me so badly) Kids' screaming aren't going affect us. We can focus on what ever we are doing (reading, computer, etc) and not be bothered by the background noises. I am sure you can find more pros. That would get you out of depression.

from deaf tone elder - first nation, ontario

]I have only just become deaf. I live in a house of all hearing ppl. I have starting teaching my self to sign but I just want to know will I feel alone for ever? I have been placed into a world and culture I know nothing about. I feel like I don't belong in either world. How do I meet other deaf ppl? How do I become more out going? Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks[/QUOTE]:welcome:to the alldeaf.com. I am also new to the alldeaf forum and I just learn how to use the computer so now wow that you have a difficult time going from hearing to deaf after a very bad serious illness. If you are living in a different state, then try to look up for the information on the deaf organization or like someone said try the deaf school if there is one near you. For most deaf people it is important that we learn how to sign the asl because without asl we will get frustreated and angry when a person can not understand even with lipreading. With time you will get around with deaf people whether it is at a deaf club, or bowling and deaf camps like trailer camps for adults.

Welcome to All Deaf, enjoy and have a great time meeting these friendly peopl
one this truly great site.

supersonic

I was late deafened too. I know exactly how you feel. The best advice i can give you is to stay positive, make some deaf friends, and don't shut out the hearing world. Best of luck to you! feel free to talk to me. Thats what I'm here for.

Welcome to AD! I am sorry you suddenly lost your hearing. That must be pretty scary! However, I'm sure you'll do well in life anyway. :) Best of luck to you! You may also talk to me if you wish. I'm a hearing person who's fluent in American Sign Language and I have experience in the Deaf World. :)

Back