One Of those Days?

Pepsi

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got up at 5am this morning to go to work, when I pull into the parking lot it was empty, come to find out it was no work today and the boss made the announcement yesterday over the loud speaker and I miss out because I can't hear and no one told me what he is was saying on the speaker, so does anyone else have a deaf moment?

You better believe it!...All the time....Ask ur boss to "POST IT"! Even meetings, etc. ...that's what I did! Would stop a lot of confusion, even for the hearies too!....

I would ask ur boss to pay you anyway! (He probably won't)...but suggest he post it from now on....(bulletin board).

Ouch! That's gotta suck!

I hate when that happens.

I don't think it has ever happened to me... yet. :Ohno:

I would ask ur boss to pay you anyway! (He probably won't)...but suggest he post it from now on....(bulletin board).

I kind of doubt a hearing-orientated job will usually go out of their ways to do these things, especially an owner of one. That's just the way it works with hearing jobs.. If you go too gung-ho or rambo about unequal disabilities or whatever, it could end up costing you the employment which is no good.

I know what you mean Peps, I mean really. Back in college for my last degree, there were times the teacher or TA would decide to announce things instead of write them or make a note. The room was pretty big, big university lecture movie theater style for over 300+ students etc.

They would announce "oh, and no class next lecture". Or, "we'll change the test to next week. "

If I didn't hear it, I didn't know it. I then had to rely on keeping up with my friends to know, but once I did go to class expecting an exam only to find out there wasn't one.

At my last job, I was really lucky that everything relied on PDA docs and text/SMS messaging.

Pepsi, I am surprised your boss didn't notify you personally or another co-worker let you know about having a day off . I know how you must feel , could've slept in longer.

You better believe it!...All the time....Ask ur boss to "POST IT"! Even meetings, etc. ...that's what I did! Would stop a lot of confusion, even for the hearies too!....

I agree. Or at least put in a request to reimburse you for travel expenses and time. After all, it is your bosses responsibility to make sure that this information is accessable to ALL employees. He/she obviously did not do that.

I kind of doubt a hearing-orientated job will usually go out of their ways to do these things, especially an owner of one. That's just the way it works with hearing jobs.. If you go too gung-ho or rambo about unequal disabilities or whatever, it could end up costing you the employment which is no good.

I know what you mean Peps, I mean really. Back in college for my last degree, there were times the teacher or TA would decide to announce things instead of write them or make a note. The room was pretty big, big university lecture movie theater style for over 300+ students etc.

They would announce "oh, and no class next lecture". Or, "we'll change the test to next week. "

If I didn't hear it, I didn't know it. I then had to rely on keeping up with my friends to know, but once I did go to class expecting an exam only to find out there wasn't one.

At my last job, I was really lucky that everything relied on PDA docs and text/SMS messaging.

Actually, it is illegal to fire an employee for complaining that accommodations are not being made appropriately. That is a good way to find yourself in federal court as an employer and have to pay back salary.

If the employee doesn't stand up for themselves in these situations, and request the accommodations they need, or complain when the requested accommodations are not provided, employers continue to get away with violating the ADA and discriminating against employees with disabilities. The ADA laws are there to assist employees with disabilities. To not use them when you need to is silly. And it gives employers permission to ignore your needs.

Actually, it is illegal to fire an employee for complaining that accommodations are not being made appropriately. That is a good way to find yourself in federal court as an employer and have to pay back salary.

If the employee doesn't stand up for themselves in these situations, and request the accommodations they need, or complain when the requested accommodations are not provided, employers continue to get away with violating the ADA and discriminating against employees with disabilities. The ADA laws are there to assist employees with disabilities. To not use them when you need to is silly. And it gives employers permission to ignore your needs.
Given the scope of what happened here, it is not like they had to rewire the building, install VP, or provide an interpreter. All they needed to do is write "No work tomorrow" on a Post-It notepad and give it to Pepsi. This is more a case of inconsideration, than a case of discrimination. I guess employers are God now, since people are begging for $10 per hour jobs. I thank Bush every morning! I can sleep in. I can surf the 'net all day. I can walk my dog several times while it is light outside. I can avoid those difficult decisions at meal time. I will just have PB sandwiches every day.
Someone needs to call this to attention of management. This is stupid. I wonder if any coworkers thought about letting Pepsi know, and just shrugged. I would feel much dismay when work resumes on Monday.

I got up at 5am this morning to go to work, when I pull into the parking lot it was empty, come to find out it was no work today and the boss made the announcement yesterday over the loud speaker and I miss out because I can't hear and no one told me what he is was saying on the speaker, so does anyone else have a deaf moment?

You are taking this far too lightly. I would be angered about this. Your time is valuable. Not only did you get up early and drive to an empty parking lot; you also spent last night preparing to work today. Maybe you have special wardrobe for work. Maybe that now needs to be cleaned because you wore it today. The only plus side to this is that you were up and alert early today. Maybe you got some things done that had been put off. This angers me to see this, sorry.

Given the scope of what happened here, it is not like they had to rewire the building, install VP, or provide an interpreter. All they needed to do is write "No work tomorrow" on a Post-It notepad and give it to Pepsi. This is more a case of inconsideration, than a case of discrimination. I guess employers are God now, since people are begging for $10 per hour jobs. I thank Bush every morning! I can sleep in. I can surf the 'net all day. I can walk my dog several times while it is light outside. I can avoid those difficult decisions at meal time. I will just have PB sandwiches every day.
Someone needs to call this to attention of management. This is stupid. I wonder if any coworkers thought about letting Pepsi know, and just shrugged. I would feel much dismay when work resumes on Monday.

Well, since this falls under the scope of making available auditory information (i.e. an announcement made over the speaker system) available to deaf employees in an alternative format (i.e. written), then it really does fall under the scope of the ADA and reasonable accommodation. I agree that it was most likely due tothoughtlessness...but then most failures to accomodate are the result of thoughtlessness moreso than intentional discrimination. The point is, whether it was a failure to think, or whether it was intentional, it still resulted in the same effect. And the effect is what the ADA seeks to resolve. I agree. Calling it to the attention of management will probably prevent it happening again. Sometimes, however, management needs to be reminded that what might seem minor to them could have serious consequences under the law.

Well, since this falls under the scope of making available auditory information (i.e. an announcement made over the speaker system) available to deaf employees in an alternative format (i.e. written), then it really does fall under the scope of the ADA and reasonable accommodation. I agree that it was most likely due tothoughtlessness...but then most failures to accomodate are the result of thoughtlessness moreso than intentional discrimination. The point is, whether it was a failure to think, or whether it was intentional, it still resulted in the same effect. And the effect is what the ADA seeks to resolve. I agree. Calling it to the attention of management will probably prevent it happening again. Sometimes, however, management needs to be reminded that what might seem minor to them could have serious consequences under the law.

Yeah, agreed. My point? Consideration should not need to be legislated.

Sometimes it might be better to let it go.

Employers can find a reason not covered by ADA to fire an inconvenient or demanding employee.

Pepsi, that is just so wrong. Have u ever informed your boss and coworkers of needing a visual representative of any announcements? If so and they didnt comply, u can file a complaint.

Sometimes it might be better to let it go.

Employers can find a reason not covered by ADA to fire an inconvenient or demanding employee.

I dont find requesting stuff be posted as demanding or inconvenient... I'm hearing and when they make the rare announcement over our intercom I don't always hear it... either b/c I have headphones on trying to drown out all the other LOUD people I work with or b/c I'm engrossed in a claim and don't hear anything...

Here they Email us most of that info... it's annoying sometimes getting a bunch of emails about this or that but it's a better way to communicate.

I can't believe none of your co-workers said anything to you or let you know... I'd be hurt by that alone...

Maybe if they closed short notice like that they'll be paying everyone anyway...

What if they gave a war and nobody showed up? ;)

Thanks for the post guys, Well I was real piss off this morning and embarrassed. The workers and bosses most of the time let me know what is going on, I found out this morning the announcement was made a few minutes before we got off work, so I think everyone forgot to tell me.

I'm going to let it go this time.

Pepsi, that is just so wrong. Have u ever informed your boss and coworkers of needing a visual representative of any announcements? If so and they didnt comply, u can file a complaint.

Shel, everyone in the office and the factory knows that I'm deaf. I am the first and only deaf employee they have, I guess they are not use to me yet I only been there a month.

Yes, I have them all the time, sometimes cause I just plain don't hear and other times cause I am lipreading incorrectly and think someone said 'do it' instead of 'don't do it' or think they just gave birth when they were talking about the earth, you know, stuff like that.

Sorry about your bad day Pepsi.. Hope your weekend is a lot better. :)

Back