One good thing out of the AGB.....

Yeah it's surprising that ASl would even be mentioned as far too many hearing blame ASL as factor in low reading among deaf - nvm the fact that the majority learned ASL in their late teens and as young adults. BTW, the link you gave us didn't work. You should be able to find the link here.

Tried clicking on your link, and got the blog, but it says "Sorry, no items match your search criteria." Does that mean the answer is "nothing", or that the link isn't working? LOL.

Tried clicking on your link, and got the blog, but it says "Sorry, no items match your search criteria." Does that mean the answer is "nothing", or that the link isn't working? LOL.

same thing happened to me too. :dunno:

Thanks, deafskeptic. Agreed, it is a step in the right direction. At least they are beginning to recognize the need for visual information. Maybe in another 100 years, they will actually realize the value of ASL.:giggle:

Hmmmm, dunno what's going on but go to deafdc.com and read the article by Aaron

Deafskeptic, there's something therein that's even more telling than the absence of mentioning ASL.

Hmmmm, dunno what's going on but go to deafdc.com and read the article by Aaron

Deafskeptic, there's something therein that's even more telling than the absence of mentioning ASL.

Oh yeah, I clearly didn't read the whole article but now that I have, it's surprising that an AVT therapist would refuse to cover her mouth during AVT sessions. It's very telling that one or two people at the AGB conferrence there would start to recoginze deaf children's (and adults) need for visual input.

Oh yeah, I clearly didn't read the whole article but now that I have, it's surprising that an AVT therapist would refuse to cover her mouth during AVT sessions. It's very telling that one or two people at the AGB conferrence there would start to recoginze deaf children's (and adults) need for visual input.

And also very telling was those statements tumbled from the mouth of the world's only deaf AVTer!! The hush in the audience was deafening!!!! LOL!!

This is a perfect example of why deaf or hoh people know better than hearing people when it comes to appropriate approaches for language development and literacy skills.

I am glad that AGB is looking into taking ASL and cued speech into consideration instead of the oral/aural approach only.

This is a perfect example of why deaf or hoh people know better than hearing people when it comes to appropriate approaches for language development and literacy skills.

I am glad that AGB is looking into taking ASL and cued speech into consideration instead of the oral/aural approach only.

Shel, I dunno about AGB but this was obviously a bombshell in their midst, more powerful than the protestors outside.

Shel, I dunno about AGB but this was obviously a bombshell in their midst, more powerful than the protestors outside.

Gots to sneak one in every now and then! Distract them with the protestors, and slip one into the fold! I love it!

Let's keep firing those bombshells!!! :)

Oh the irony. I know they yap on and on about how blocking the mouth is only ONE small part of an AVT approach, but they tend to make a HUGE deal about how dhh kids who were AVT'd don't read lips.
For crying out loud, there are "sounds" which are only discrinable by being read on the lips.
Besides, it's the LANGUAGE that's the problem. Not the fact that a dhh kid can hear or not.
A dhh kid could be able to go "boo be bah" really well, but still have a poor language level.

Oh the irony. I know they yap on and on about how blocking the mouth is only ONE small part of an AVT approach, but they tend to make a HUGE deal about how dhh kids who were AVT'd don't read lips.
For crying out loud, there are "sounds" which are only discrinable by being read on the lips.
Besides, it's the LANGUAGE that's the problem. Not the fact that a dhh kid can hear or not.
A dhh kid could be able to go "boo be bah" really well, but still have a poor language level.

Agreed..the whole practice of covering the mouth is just simply denying language access to the children and wasting their time when they could be learning different things instead of practicing to hear the same word or phrases over and over again. It is ridiculous!

Tell me about it! I know they push the fact that "oh AVT'd kids are very high acheiveing"
but how do we know that it's b/c of AVT? It might be b/c the parents who are attracted to AVT tend to be the type who are VERY high powered. Like they have their toddlers in "enrichment" classes to give them an "edge".
(and not just normal enrichment.......................like the type that claim to produce three year olds who can talk about artists)

Back