On the defense?

MissMegTheBaker - do you have any deaf friend who know you well?

Wait how do we know MissMeg's trying to survey AD?

I looked at all her posts and didn't see anything in the slightest offensive, we're operating purely on conjecture.

I looked at all her posts and didn't see anything in the slightest offensive, we're operating purely on conjecture.

Or perhaps empathy?

See my 2-3 comments, sharing similar sentiments.

I see most people have already singled me out as an idiot hearing person who is here for a study....
I've also only seen a handful of people who read the original post react non-defensively.
My question was literally do you feel defensive. It has nothing to do with being deaf. If you feel defensive because of being Deaf/HOH then that's something else entirely. I'm curious about the people who are just defensive. Those are the people I want to talk to.
No, I'm not doing a study. No, I do not want to hear just what you think someone on the surface would want to hear. I've already passed my psychology courses in college thank you and I am not doing a paper on sarcasm in the Deaf culture. But thanks for showing your talents on running someone down before you figure out their intentions.
Several people read the first post defensively and assumed that I'm saying your defensive because of being Deaf/HOH.
I'd also like to say that I'm not studying the Deaf culture like I'm at a zoo. YOU have posts everywhere about what you "hate about hearies" or "do's and don't" for a hearing person in a deaf world. Why is it so hard for people to believe I have an open interest in this and that I'm actually not here for anything but to learn and make friends.
As individuals we all learn from one another. How do you plan on getting your voice heard or for people to understand what they should and should not do unless you also open yourself up. I can't believe how many close-minded people answered this who have also answered on other threads about how they wish people knew not to wave at them to get their attention, or to look directly at someone when speaking, or anything else.
I have an honest interest and love for languages. I've never really thought of Deaf/HOH people as any different until I came here and read all these posts and threads of it being a totally different culture. Since then all I've done is try to respect that. Take a look at any of my other posts and you can see that.

If your question have nothing do with be deaf...why first five words "as a deaf/HOH person"...?

As a Deaf/HOH person do you constantly feel like you're on the defense or that you automatically react defensively in any social situation?

You said you were just asking a question in general, and that it had nothing to do with being deaf.

And yet you seem to have concluded that HOH/deaf people react defensively in social situations and you want to know why.

So, yeah, you have jumped to conclusions.

We are evil people and we should be spanked. :booty:

Well, if my question was originally worded incorrectly then ok. I had no intentions of being negative about this thread and I just wanted to know about a few things. But that's fine. I'll close out my account and not talk here again. I've never had so many people act like this to a simple question about anything that wasn't offensive until you overanalyzed it and assumed things about me.
So have at it. Next time you get pissed at a "hearie" maybe think twice about their experiences too.

Aw, come on and lighten up. Come play in a fun thread for a while.

Well, if my question was originally worded incorrectly then ok. I had no intentions of being negative about this thread and I just wanted to know about a few things. But that's fine. I'll close out my account and not talk here again. I've never had so many people act like this to a simple question about anything that wasn't offensive until you overanalyzed it and assumed things about me.
So have at it. Next time you get pissed at a "hearie" maybe think twice about their experiences too.

You seem a little defensive. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

We're too offensive for her. She's getting all defensive!

You seem a little defensive. :hmm:

Ohhh, the irony!

Seriously, I do feel a little bad about this whole thing but then again, we have had so much experience over the last several years.......

It's entirely your choice to stick around or not. keep in mind that when you post something here, every person that looks at it interprets your meanings with their own history and personality. Some folks here over analize, some under analyze, some get defensive, some become offensive, some just think their finger nails need a really good trimming.

It seems to me that you came here with a pre-conception that deaf/HOH folks get defensive often, probably due to what you perceive to be rude hearies? Why not talk about your experiences with deaf/HOH and how you think some things should be different instead of thinking we as a group should act or think in a particular way. Drop your own pre-conceptions and allow yourself to see the full depth and variety that make up this very interesting group of people. We come from every culture, we did not sign up to join this group, not all of us identify ourselves as Deaf, not all of us put our pants on one leg at a time.

Have an apple, sit back and relax. the ride here gets bumpy sometimes, but it's the journey not the destination. :cool2:

damn. I posted in wrong thread :Oops:

Last edited:
I remember signing with a friend in Richmond and some lady stranger out of blue walks up to us and tells us she loves us in Christ in sign language many years ago.

I remember signing with a friend in Richmond and some lady stranger out of blue walks up to us and tells us she loves us in Christ in sign language many years ago.

Did that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? :rofl:

Back