JeepGirl

Reaction score
Olive Oil May Prevent Ulcers
Virgin Olive Oil May Prevent and Treat H. pylori Stomach Infections

By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News

Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Feb. 13, 2007 -- Olive oil may be good for your stomach as well as your heart.

A new Spanish study suggests virgin olive oil may help prevent and treat H. pylori infections, which are responsible for millions of cases of gastritis and peptic ulcers each year.

Preliminary laboratory tests show the antioxidant compounds found in virgin olive oil are effective against several strains of H. pylori bacteria, which infects the lining of the stomach.

Researchers say these results must now be replicated in humans. But if future studies confirm the findings, incorporating virgin olive oil into your diet may help treat or prevent painful stomach ulcers.

Virgin Olive Oil Good for Stomach

Researchers say previous studies show that other natural products rich in a class of antioxidants known as phenolic compounds -- such as red wine, green tea, and cranberry juice -- may inhibit the growth of H. pylori.

But until now the antibacterial properties of olive oil haven't been evaluated.

They say virgin olive oil is unique because it is one of very few edible vegetable oils with high phenolic content.

In the study, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, researchers used laboratory experiments to simulate conditions found in the human stomach in order to evaluate olive oil's ability to fight H. pylori bacteria.

Researcher Conception Romero and colleagues of the University Hospital of Valme, in Seville, Spain, found that the healthy phenolic compounds in virgin olive oil remained stable for hours in simulated acidic conditions of the stomach.

These phenolic compounds also had a strong antibacterial effect. The results of the lab studies showed olive oil's phenolic compounds were effective against eight strains of H. pylori, including three that are resistant to some antibiotics.

Yes I aware about it...

Olive oil reduce bad cholesterol...

Olive oil is good and healthy fats.

Did you know about olive oil dip? I tell you it's really sssoooo supppeeerrr

I don't like to eat olives but lovvveeee to dip hot rustic bread or Italian bread in olive oil mixture ... mmmmhhhhh

We talked a bit about olive oil in class a few weeks ago. Interesting topic!

I love to cook with olive oil, such as for cakes and cookies.

If any children got bite from poisonous snake or spider then use olive oil in mouth and suck to get venom out from body then spit in bowl but not 100% to remove all of venom out from body but need treat by vaccine at ER.

I heard that oilive oil is healthy when it isn't cooked. Like for salad dressing oil, dip bread in it, etc. I forgot why can't cook but when olive oil is cooked to high temp, it isn't healthy anymore. I use canola oil for cooking, olive oil for not cooking.

I use Olive oil all the times! I haven't try with salad...but I should try. :) I rarely use Veggie oil (only for a cake or something that needed with Veggie oil). Other than that I just use Olive Oil. :)

I love Olive oil with my breads and salads especially when it is mixed in with a variety of seasonings. :) Yummy!

Longest years.. I still stick w/Olive Oil... "EXTRA EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL" for any cooking foods... purpose!

Super!

I love to cook with olive oil, such as for cakes and cookies.

If any children got bite from poisonous snake or spider then use olive oil in mouth and suck to get venom out from body then spit in bowl but not 100% to remove all of venom out from body but need treat by vaccine at ER.

Is that what they use to suck the venom out by using olive oil? That's a first.. never heard.. that's interesting!

Yes I aware about it...

Olive oil reduce bad cholesterol...

Olive oil is good and healthy fats.

Did you know about olive oil dip? I tell you it's really sssoooo supppeeerrr

I don't like to eat olives but lovvveeee to dip hot rustic bread or Italian bread in olive oil mixture ... mmmmhhhhh

Do you have a recipe for Olive Oil Dip? I love olives!!! so you dip it in rustic or Italian bread? that sounds good! yummy

Ooo I love olive oil , I haven't use that in my salad for quite a long time...

Serious? Where did you hear that from? This is the first time I ever heard of using olive oil to suck out the venom...

I love olive oil! Hey we Italians know what we are doing!! LOL!! ;) Healthy and good subsitute. Forget the butter. Use olive oil instead for your bread, pasta, salad, and much more! Even for french toast and waffles.. I tested it and it takes slightly different than you use butter on it. But tastier, I think. And its my opinion that it is good! Yummy!

I like and use olive oil, too. About the sopping bread in it, I use extra virgin olive oil and add a little balsamic vinegar to the olive oil. Notice how the balsamic vinegar stays as one spot, roughtly, whe you do that? Yum!

i love cook with olive oil but sometimes cook with cooking spray this olive oil very fats! im tell you cooking spray little taste than olive oil

Back