Older HOH in Vermont

podiecat

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a woman, about 60, quite hard of hearing and can't use hearing aids. My sweet service dog and I have no trouble communicating with each other but communicating with most people is almost always a struggle these days. It's exhausting!

I'm determined to continue learning and practicing ASL and would really like to find more people to sign with in Vermont. Anyone in the greater Burlington area? I feel like I must greatly improve my signing before I tip toe into any Deaf group, which are very limited in this area anyway.

Any older HOH or D/deaf who would like to practice in person with me? Barnes and Noble Cafe???

:wave:...welcome aboard....I'm Not in Vermont...but have a good time around here.

Not in Vermont either, but good luck with your quest, and welcome to Alldeaf. :wave:

Thanks so much! What a warm welcome!

I actually posted here a few times a year or two ago but never introduced myself.

Too bad you're not in the white river junction area. I know a hearing asl fluent woman who would love to teach you asl.

And ur user name is a winner!..."Podiecat"...along with ur doggie's pix...Seems to be smiling....perhaps thinking...."I thought I saw a Podiecat"!

Too bad you're not in the white river junction area. I know a hearing asl fluent woman who would love to teach you asl.

Hi deafdyke, White River Junction is about two hours from me. Does the woman you know go across to the western side of Vt? Maybe we could meet sometime.

Every Wednesday I meet up with a wonderful Deaf ASL teacher and a hearing woman who he tutors. It is a short session but means so much to me. The woman is paralyzed on one side so she can only sign one handed. She is a pretty good interpreter although I have lots of trouble hearing her. So we mostly sign, which is great. I have been trying to learn ASL for so long it seems. One class with a Deaf teacher, and many different online sites. I am finally making headway with Bill Vicars (lifeprint) new online courses, ASL.tc. I highly recommend them! It seems to bring together all of the various bits and pieces of ASL I had almost but not quite learned. However, even though I get top grades in those courses, signing in real life is way more challenging. Many signs are different in this area and fingerspelling especially tends to become one big blur. But it still usually feels less stressful than hearing. Yes, I need more ASL time face to face with extremely patient native signers or hearing people who sign with the Deaf community.

And ur user name is a winner!..."Podiecat"...along with ur doggie's pix...Seems to be smiling....perhaps thinking...."I thought I saw a Podiecat"!

Hi rockin'robin,

Thanks for your sweet words. Podie was my beloved 19 year old polydactyl Maine Coon cat who died last December. Using her name helps keep her close to me.

Tess is my smiley, multitasking service dog; a great pyrenees/aussie mix who I rescued from death row four years ago. So challenging with lots of stories, but we trained each other and she is my life.

I have an extremely rare disease called systemic mastocytosis. It is not fun and is life threatening at times. It also gives me right-sided stroke-like symptoms, cognitive issues and more.

My hearing loss is complicated with that disease but I believe it is also from 106+ degree fevers four times in my life as well as a small genetic factor. After my last dog died at 13 years, totally heartbreaking, there were breakins on my rural road and I felt incredibly vulnerable. I could not really hear unless I knew what I was supposed to hear. I read Martha Hoffman's great book about choosing the ideal hearing dog candidate and realized I would not be able to stand being partnered with the ideal hearing dog candidate! Tess and I are perfect for each other but she would not be a good match for a profoundly deaf person. Gosh I love my dog!

I was admiring your beautiful avatar picture also! What kind of dog?

Hi, Podie...my dog is a Pomeranian, 5 years old, named "Anita"....bought her from a litter of 4 at 8 weeks....and a few months after my beloved doggie "Buffy" died of breast cancer, (she was 14)....I also have a Cat named "Mr. Sid" who is a year or so old...who is totally "a mess"!...but love him regardless, he was a stray....

I've had many dogs to come and go of old age...and each time swearing I will not get another one, but I always do!

You will find many, many members here who are true dog lovers!....Along with Cats also!....Look forward to seeing you around the Board.
rockin'robin

Maybe you could get in touch with the Vermont Association of the Deaf.

Here is their web site address and contact information:

Vermont Activities for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Email :admin@deafvermont.com
VP: 802-787-1449 Call and leave a message after you see "recording".
Mail: VTAD, PO BOX 254, Underhill, VT 05489

Hi DeafBadger,

Thanks for your post. I have been on the DeafVt yahoo group for a few years now. Most of the activities are too far away or I'm too chicken to go with my limited ASL. I'm hoping that all of the work I'm doing to improve my signing now will give me some needed confidence so I can try going to a Deaf chat meeting or other activity. I really am more interested in non-group activities though. One-on-one has always been my preference.

Some good news.... I just found out that HLAA is trying to get a group going in Vt. That would be great if not too far. I'm not sure if it would be focused on adaptive equipment and I hope not. After working with an audiologist for two years, too much money and way too much frustration, I have come to peace with my hearing loss and the inability to use hearing aids.

Hi Rockin'robin,

I thought your pup was a pom! I really love that picture of you two. And yes, my life has always been filled with my animals, always sagas, always heart break, but I can't live without my dog and cat. Tess is my first Service Dog. She helps me so much and has given me life.

I was wondering... even though I have health issues in addition to hearing loss, how are service dogs viewed in the Deaf community?

Back