Old member here

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a member since 2006. Just popping in here to see how's everyone's doing. It has been a while and boy has a lot changed since 2006. My son was 1 year old and now he is 13. My daughter was 8 years old and now she is 22 years old.

Yes, still married to the same guy and yes, I am still a Deaf ed teacher but not at the deaf school anymore.

Hope everyone is having a great day! Really sad about the midwest with all these storms.

Welcome back, you beat me I'm ADer since 2010. :thumb:

Yeah, I heard news about that storm at Midwest. I always keep eye on weather news for early warning hurricane season. I just bought some survival kits. My first experienced 2017 hurricane IRMA during I moved in Florida for new life from California. My house has hurricane-proof. I'm alive and well.

Hello,

I have been a member since 2006. Just popping in here to see how's everyone's doing. It has been a while and boy has a lot changed since 2006. My son was 1 year old and now he is 13. My daughter was 8 years old and now she is 22 years old.

Yes, still married to the same guy and yes, I am still a Deaf ed teacher but not at the deaf school anymore.

Hope everyone is having a great day! Really sad about the midwest with all these storms.
Welcome back, There's always new people coming onboard and new conversations, some of which could use your input since you are a Deaf ed teacher.

Hello again...Thanks for the welcome backs. Yea, things are slow.

My family and I travel a lot in our RV. This summer I will spend 2 weeks in our RV near Ocean City, MD. Really excited about it.

Welcome back, There's always new people coming onboard and new conversations, some of which could use your input since you are a Deaf ed teacher.

Oh really? I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks!

Welcome back, you beat me I'm ADer since 2010. :thumb:

Yeah, I heard news about that storm at Midwest. I always keep eye on weather news for early warning hurricane season. I just bought some survival kits. My first experienced 2017 hurricane IRMA during I moved in Florida for new life from California. My house has hurricane-proof. I'm alive and well.

That meme is so popular on FB when news about strange people from Florida pop up! ha

Hello! I'm 16 and am going for a career as a Teacher of the Deaf and Hard -of-Hearing. Any advice?

Hello! I'm 16 and am going for a career as a Teacher of the Deaf and Hard -of-Hearing. Any advice?

Hello! Make sure you choose a program that will give you the right courses to be qualified for a deaf ed certification. I made the mistake of majoring in Special Ed at Arizona State University as it was the wrong degree to become qualified for the certification I needed to get. As a result, I had to continue my education at Gallaudet University in the Master's program for Elementary Deaf Ed.

I have worked both in a deaf school and a public school with a deaf/hh program. If you are not up for fighting against the prejudices, stereotypes, and ignorant administrators, working at a deaf school or a public school with a LARGE and established Deaf ed program is highly recommended. I went from working at a Deaf school to working at public school with a weak deaf ed program and I had to fight hard with so many ignorant people to get the appropriate accommodations that myself and my students needed. There were several times in my first two years that I wanted to quit and walk out but I stuck through it and now things are better. Not perfect but MUCH better than 5 years ago. Still so much ignorance out there and people unwilling to approve the budget needed to meet the needs of deaf/hh kids in the mainstreamed setting.

Good luck!

Back