Oklahoma Considering Chemical Castration For Violent Sex Offenders

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Oklahoma State Senator Mark Allen is supporting a bill that proposes chemical castration of violent sex offenders. California and Florida have already implemented similar laws.

The proposal would allow first time violent sex offenders the option of voluntary castration in return for an early release date from prison. Chemical castration would be mandatory for second time offenders.

David Slane, an attorney who has represented more than 500 sex offenders, thinks chemical castration would help in rehabilitating sex offenders

He explained, “I remember one in particular who told me he went to his doctor voluntarily. He used this hormone therapy and, as he said, 'It cured me. I no longer have the thoughts. I no longer have the sex drive.' For years afterwards he had never reoffended. So to me, that was proof in the pudding. There may be something here."

However, Slane also realizes there are shortcomings to the proposed law. He said, “On the other hand, the idea that we would force drugs on people that have not been approved by the FDA would subject the state to lawsuits, and I feel like that part needs to be taken out.”

Senator Allen also has seen the results from other states. He said, “The inmate has to go through counseling before going through the process. I think they've had about a 90 percent success rate. If somebody wants an early release from prison they can go through the process."

Similar to Oklahoma’s proposal, Florida and California have mandatory castration for repeat sex offenders. If passed, the law could take effect in November.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/poli...ing-chemical-castration-violent-sex-offenders

I thought sexual violent crimes was a case of control, the violent side no go so castrate the sexual act then leave him to rot in jail for being violent or at least finish jail sentence

Sorry but they need to rot in an insistution for the criminally insane for life. The rape/ sex issues aren't the problem. They're a symptom of a LARGER problem....usually severe personality disorder issues. They need to be kept under lock and key so they cannot prey on anyone.

Back