Ok, What's Out There?

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
I am soooo insanely tired of having to relay on other people to make personal phone calls for me ( like medical, banks, etc) I am HOH, what are my options for services? I don't have a TTY nor a home phone, just my cell.

I'm asking because for so long I have been living from a hearing person's perspective and now I'm becoming annoyed with the fact that I can't carry on a important conversation on the phone. I would like to know options out there for HOH/Deaf since I've never heard of anything other than a TTY. Any advise would be helpful thanks :)

Perhaps PM DieHardBiker....Sorenson rep....have you heard about VP's (Video Phones?.....But you will have to have Internet for a VP........Or contact Independent Living in ur city....they have TDD's also (at least they still do in my city). Then again, you have to have phone service in ur home for a TDD. There are also services you can acquire if you cannot afford a phone in ur home....Independent Living might be able to help you with that or give you some info. as to who to contact. I have both, a VP and a TTD....they should give you a lot of info. also about other gadgets for the deaf....

I noticed on my cell the other day that it has a TTY option....under the "Accessibility Options" - never tried it out though.

Videophones rock. Please don't go Sorenson.

(im not sure if you use ASL or not, if so, this method is very empowering.)

When you say you just only have your cell, what services do you have on it? data? what type of phone? iphone? andriod? blackberry? etc. Since you use alldeaf website I assume you might have a computer?, do you have high speed internet? webcam?

Just asking whats out there is kinda very generic question. It really depends on what you have. what do you want to do? use new tech like videobased relay? or stay old fashioned like text relay?

It all boils down to 2 types of relays. text or video. The catch here is what do you have for internet access or for voice communication. You could use pc, mac, cell phones, landline phone, cable internet, DSL, FIOS, aim, mirail based videophone, hardware base videophone like vp200, or ntouch, etc.......

Many of us don't have access to all of these things, but we have accounts or something setup so when needed, we can use that feature or service.

I am sorry for being vague, but as I type this, I realize I need to start a spreadsheet of alllllll the relay services available and what requirement they need.

Wirelessly posted

Since she using cellphone and she is HOH, she might need voice-carry over(VCO) where she can use her voice and can see sign language interpreter or text message. I am not sure if ConvoRelay have VCO service, but I know ZVRS has the best VCO service. SorensonVRS had to use telephone in
order to make a VCO call. However, you can use Z4 or Z340 that you can use your voice instead of using the telephone. they already have microphone set up for you. I use Z340 it worked well for me so far and I still use VCO. I am HOH and can use sign language.

WebCaptel? You can use either a keypad to type, or your own voice (VCO).

I noticed on my cell the other day that it has a TTY option....under the "Accessibility Options" - never tried it out though.

Funny that you mention that I got curious and I do have the TTY option on mine as well. Never tried it either. Wholeee new world for me there.

Videophones rock. Please don't go Sorenson.

(im not sure if you use ASL or not, if so, this method is very empowering.)

I'm not yet fluent with ASL but I am learning and I can understand some of it.

When you say you just only have your cell, what services do you have on it? data? what type of phone? iphone? andriod? blackberry? etc. Since you use alldeaf website I assume you might have a computer?, do you have high speed internet? webcam?

Just asking whats out there is kinda very generic question. It really depends on what you have. what do you want to do? use new tech like videobased relay? or stay old fashioned like text relay?

It all boils down to 2 types of relays. text or video. The catch here is what do you have for internet access or for voice communication. You could use pc, mac, cell phones, landline phone, cable internet, DSL, FIOS, aim, mirail based videophone, hardware base videophone like vp200, or ntouch, etc.......

Many of us don't have access to all of these things, but we have accounts or something setup so when needed, we can use that feature or service.

I am sorry for being vague, but as I type this, I realize I need to start a spreadsheet of alllllll the relay services available and what requirement they need.

My phone is a android, Metro PCS, I do have a TTY option I just found but I don't know how to use it.

So you have an Android smartphone? Do you have Internet access from Metro PCS? You don't need to use a mobile TTY if you have Internet access, but if you don't have Internet access, you will need a mobile TTY connected to your cell phone via a 2.5mm cable.

I think this might be interesting:
The Hearing Loss Help Co.

Do note that I'm afraid that TTY over mobile may or may not work over wireless because I think it's unreliable and can lead to garbled text.

If you cannot afford to pay for Internet access for your Android phone, then text messaging whether you go will be your only option. That is, if your loved ones, friends, and businesses out there support communication through text messaging.

So you have an Android smartphone? Do you have Internet access from Metro PCS? You don't need to use a mobile TTY if you have Internet access, but if you don't have Internet access, you will need a mobile TTY connected to your cell phone via a 2.5mm cable.

I think this might be interesting:
The Hearing Loss Help Co.

Do note that I'm afraid that TTY over mobile may or may not work over wireless because I think it's unreliable and can lead to garbled text.I do have to disagree with this as the only time I found it a problem was when the device itself was malfunctioning not the unreliability of the technology

If you cannot afford to pay for Internet access for your Android phone, then text messaging whether you go will be your only option. That is, if your loved ones, friends, and businesses out there support communication through text messaging.

I am still learning all the ins and outs of an Android phone (in my case the Droid 2).

If you do have internet access with you plan from Metro PCS you probably want to look at this site Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel: What is Mobile CapTel?. It is kinda hard to find but if you are not in an area where you have voice and data at the same time or if your particular phone model does not support it you need to look here Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel: Android OS Browser: Placing Calls for an alternate method to the app. It is my understanding that the Android phone can be used for the captions and another phone for you to talk from. I am just at the exploratory stage with this.

The page that GraysonPeddie linked to shows a device that is no longer manufactured. I did have one in the analog days that did not have the cord but strapped to the earpiece of the larger phones that were in use then. It worked well for use with VCO but was not compatible when digital cells came out. They then developed a device that was – The PocketComm which was a very slightly larger device with a full keyboard but still fit in one hand after connecting to the headphone jack on the cell phone via a cord.

I found the PocketComm to work will when in good shape but much more delicate than a cell phone. I think it must have been designed by a man that kept it in a case clipped to his belt rather than in a purse as a woman would and thus not subject to the additional bumps and bangs and more likely hood of being dropped if in a purse! I am not sure when I got my first one but have had to repair or replace most years. I had gotten a second one as a backup and am having trouble with both at the present time. Putting about $100 yearly into keeping a working one is what led me to exploring for an alternative. I do not know how durable the Compact/C Ultratec » Products » Text Telephones » Portable TTYs » Compact/C by Ultratec is. I first came to AlDeaf when I was trying to get feedback about that and did not find anyone with experience with that particular unit.

I am still learning all the ins and outs of an Android phone (in my case the Droid 2).

If you do have internet access with you plan from Metro PCS you probably want to look at this site Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel: What is Mobile CapTel?. It is kinda hard to find but if you are not in an area where you have voice and data at the same time or if your particular phone model does not support it you need to look here Hamilton CapTel: Mobile CapTel: Android OS Browser: Placing Calls for an alternate method to the app. It is my understanding that the Android phone can be used for the captions and another phone for you to talk from. I am just at the exploratory stage with this.

The page that GraysonPeddie linked to shows a device that is no longer manufactured. I did have one in the analog days that did not have the cord but strapped to the earpiece of the larger phones that were in use then. It worked well for use with VCO but was not compatible when digital cells came out. They then developed a device that was – The PocketComm which was a very slightly larger device with a full keyboard but still fit in one hand after connecting to the headphone jack on the cell phone via a cord.

I found the PocketComm to work will when in good shape but much more delicate than a cell phone. I think it must have been designed by a man that kept it in a case clipped to his belt rather than in a purse as a woman would and thus not subject to the additional bumps and bangs and more likely hood of being dropped if in a purse! I am not sure when I got my first one but have had to repair or replace most years. I had gotten a second one as a backup and am having trouble with both at the present time. Putting about $100 yearly into keeping a working one is what led me to exploring for an alternative. I do not know how durable the Compact/C Ultratec » Products » Text Telephones » Portable TTYs » Compact/C by Ultratec is. I first came to AlDeaf when I was trying to get feedback about that and did not find anyone with experience with that particular unit.

I was able to find the Hamilton app on the android market, but then found out its not compatible with Metro PCS :( sooo, I contacted them letting them know hey, metro customer wants them too lol.

I've looked and looked and no luck finding something.

I would really hate the idea of using a third party to carry my personal info to another person. So I want to avoid that if possible.

How is Purple? Are they strictly VRS? Is there a text relay i can work with from my pc? that has "voicemail" if i miss a call
I do have internet

just an fyi... for anyone thinking about using tty on a mobile... from what i was told... it requires an actual tty device to be pluged into it... or at least on verizon...

just an fyi... for anyone thinking about using tty on a mobile... from what i was told... it requires an actual tty device to be pluged into it... or at least on verizon...

That is correct. I used the Krown PocketComm for a number of years and it did fine unless there was a problem with the TTY itself. Please see further description closer to the start of this thread at post #10.

That is correct. I used the Krown PocketComm for a number of years and it did fine unless there was a problem with the TTY itself. Please see further description closer to the start of this thread at post #10.

Yeah I read that, but I was trying to clarify for other people... because when I first got my droid, and it said it was TTY capable, I was under the impression that it was TTY capable standalone... unfortuantely verizon, att and the other big brands don't tell you it requires a specific device unless you ask for the information...

Well thats a pain... I heard a portable tty is expensive as hell too.

I am trying to learn asl and learn to be more fluent with it because at one point I would love to try VRS I think thats a great idea (which was why I was asking if anyone has Purple or if theres a better VRS out there) I would eventually like to have a VRS on a cell but the metro pcs phone I have doesn't have a facing camera so I'm waiting til metro comes out with a better phone. Right now I just have the Ascend.

I don't mind texting my messages back as long as I can get incoming calls as well with voicemail if I can. I hate having to try to listen to medical offices information on my appointments and I can't hear, blah lol.

Yeah I read that, but I was trying to clarify for other people... because when I first got my droid, and it said it was TTY capable, I was under the impression that it was TTY capable standalone... unfortuantely verizon, att and the other big brands don't tell you it requires a specific device unless you ask for the information...

They are very similar in spelling but the box that my Droid 2 came in says "TTY compatible" meaning they can be used with each other. Rather than capable in the sense of being able to do it itself. Not sure if I have said this in a way that is any clearer.

I like purple. I have used them for a long time. They have text, vco, nice terps and a pretty good customer service. I still use the old purple netbook for VP and will be getting the flasher in the mail soon. I do have friends who use convo and Z. They do like it.

Just browse around the web and check out the company sites till you find what you think will work for you. Check your VR or independent living center.. they have access to lots of info and catalogs for you to look through. Harris communication catalog is one I think of but there are lots of others.

Good luck and I hope you find something that suits your needs.

Back