Ohio man excuted after vulgar last gesture

Please do not laugh at state sanctioned murder of the mentally ill.

And yet he was able to premeditate the murder of his 3 children.

Information was withheld during trial and sentencing regarding his mental status. He was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, suffered from PTSD, and psychogenic amnesia. I doubt that he "pre-meditated" anything.

No on is saying that he did not deserve to be imprisoned for his crimes. His mental illness made him a danger to others. But to execute the mentally ill is not the sign of a civilized society. All this accomplished was to confirm his paranoid delusions.

Seriously, you need to know a bit more about this man's history.

Information was withheld during trial and sentencing regarding his mental status. He was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, suffered from PTSD, and psychogenic amnesia. I doubt that he "pre-meditated" anything.

No on is saying that he did not deserve to be imprisoned for his crimes. His mental illness made him a danger to others. But to execute the mentally ill is not the sign of a civilized society. All this accomplished was to confirm his paranoid delusions.

I have read that he purchased a gun in advance and killed his three children in their sleep.

You do not agree with any type of execution, regardless of mental status.

A serial killer, or people that commit horrible crimes are not exactly in the right frame of mind.

Information was withheld during trial and sentencing regarding his mental status. He was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, suffered from PTSD, and psychogenic amnesia. I doubt that he "pre-meditated" anything.No on is saying that he did not deserve to be imprisoned for his crimes. His mental illness made him a danger to others. But to execute the mentally ill is not the sign of a civilized society. All this accomplished was to confirm his paranoid delusions.

Really, you doubt he "pre-meditated" anything? Did you read the article?

"Court records showed Brooks’ premeditated pattern beginning about 10 days prior to the murders when he obtained an advance on his credit card and traveled to North Olmsted where he bought the gun and ammunition.

A few days later, his wife, Beverly, filed for divorce.

After Beverly Brooks left for work on March 6, 1982, her husband used the gun he had purchased to kill all three of their sons in their beds. He turned up the stereo so the neighbors wouldn’t hear the gunshots.

Brooks then packed the gun in a suitcase, bought a Continental Trailways bus ticket, and left for Las Vegas. He was arrested in Utah with the murder weapon still in his luggage."

What about that indicates to you a non-premeditated killing? Sounds pretty well thought-out to me.

I thought courts were required to consider a person's mental state at the time a crime is committed.

I have read that he purchased a gun in advance and killed his three children in their sleep.

You do not agree with any type of execution, regardless of mental status.

A serial killer, or people that commit horrible crimes are not exactly in the right frame of mind.

He was a paranoid schizophrenic who believed his wife was poisoning him. Him purchasing a gun prior to the murders is not unreasonable to see given his illness and his paranoid delusions. That is not an indication that he premeditated the murders of his children.

That is like saying "Andrea Yates paid the water bill in advance of drowning her 5 children, so it was premeditated".

Really, you doubt he "pre-meditated" anything? Did you read the article?

"Court records showed Brooks’ premeditated pattern beginning about 10 days prior to the murders when he obtained an advance on his credit card and traveled to North Olmsted where he bought the gun and ammunition.

A few days later, his wife, Beverly, filed for divorce.

After Beverly Brooks left for work on March 6, 1982, her husband used the gun he had purchased to kill all three of their sons in their beds. He turned up the stereo so the neighbors wouldn’t hear the gunshots.

Brooks then packed the gun in a suitcase, bought a Continental Trailways bus ticket, and left for Las Vegas. He was arrested in Utah with the murder weapon still in his luggage."

What about that indicates to you a non-premeditated killing? Sounds pretty well thought-out to me.

Actually, I have been following the case for much longer than you seem to think.

Time lines to not show premeditation any more than correlation shows cause and effect.

Still walking around with the murder weapon in his luggage several days later is well thought out? Okay.

What indicates to me that it was not premeditated? If a schizophrenic were able to plan they would not be schizophrenics. He had been diagnosed long before the crime was committed. If he were able to keep track of his actions and his intents, he would not be diagnosed with psychogenic amnesia. He was psychotic when he was arrested.

Even a judge from the panel that recommended death said he woud NOT have recommended death had he known what was in the police reports regarding his mental status. That information, however, was witheld by the prosecutors.

Don't get me wrong. The man needed to be separated from society for the rest of his life. His mental illness was severe enough to warrant that. His execution was state sanctioned murder.

Why did he kill the kids? It can't be to punish the ex wife because she filed for divorce after he purchased the gun and ammo.

Actually, I have been following the case for much longer than you seem to think.

Time lines to not show premeditation any more than correlation shows cause and effect.

Still walking around with the murder weapon in his luggage several days later is well thought out? Okay.

What indicates to me that it was not premeditated? If a schizophrenic were able to plan they would not be schizophrenics. He had been diagnosed long before the crime was committed. If he were able to keep track of his actions and his intents, he would not be diagnosed with psychogenic amnesia. He was psychotic when he was arrested.

Even a judge from the panel that recommended death said he woud NOT have recommended death had he known what was in the police reports regarding his mental status. That information, however, was witheld by the prosecutors.

Incorrect diagnoses happen fairly frequently. I would say his actions prove that he was indeed able to keep track of his actions, he was taking actions in advance of a planned event, and he carried out that event.

If you want to argue that capital punishment is always inappropriate, no matter what, fine, that's a reasonable position to take and can be debated.

To say that someone who planned to get money, did indeed get money, bought a gun and ammunition, took those things back to where the children were living, turned up the stereo to drown out the noise, carried out the murders, and left, is someone "incapable of planning," rather boggles the mind.

This is sad. Hasn't everyone done things in their dreams that would have them locked away for good, if not executed? Who is to say this guy could not distinguish between dreaming and real life? It is just so sad.

its better to put him out of his misery anyways..if i had a dog that was attacking and killing other things, i would have him put down..and i wouldnt want this guy having even the slightest chance of getting out. keeping him alive in prison only wastes money and resources on someone who simply cannot be fixed. anyone that is at risk of killing/molesting people should be put down for everyone elses safety.

Why did he kill the kids? It can't be to punish the ex wife because she filed for divorce after he purchased the gun and ammo.

No one will ever know why he killed his children. He was a very sick man. He remained locked in a delusional state regarding the incident for the entire time following the incident until his death.

its better to put him out of his misery anyways..if i had a dog that was attacking and killing other things, i would have him put down..and i wouldnt want this guy having even the slightest chance of getting out. keeping him alive in prison only wastes money and resources on someone who simply cannot be fixed. anyone that is at risk of killing/molesting people should be put down for everyone elses safety.

So because the mentally ill have been struck with a disorder than is, indeed, misery, we should just kill them all?

There was no chance of him getting out. He needed to be removed from society. But executing the mentally ill who cannot even comprehend why they are being executed is inhumane.

You might want to look a little closer to home when assigning values to things that can't be fixed.

This is sad. Hasn't everyone done things in their dreams that would have them locked away for good, if not executed? Who is to say this guy could not distinguish between dreaming and real life? It is just so sad.

He couldn't. That's the whole point. He did not even have a clear understanding of why he was being executed.

You're twisting her words. She is talking about the mentally ill who commit murders. There are plenty of mentally ill people who are not violent.

Back