Odd texting grammar

I don't remember seeing that phrase there... I must be interacting with the wrong people.

LOL. My nephew lived with me for awhile about 4 years ago. He was a WOW addict, and I would hear the little servant guys saying, "Yes, sire. Ready to serve." over and over and over again!:giggle:

I hate long posts/email without paragraph breaks. It's difficult for me to read them and I tend to lose focus.

There are alot of people who do this on one of the bipolar disorder message boards I frequent. I obviously can't read long posts visually, but they disrupt my concentration and make me feel like I'm reading a neverending story.

One thing that does irritate me greatly is when people write posts or e-mails that are devoid of punctuation. It makes their writing very difficult to read.

I agree with you on that. I loose focus on what the topic even is. It becomes nothing more than a bunch of words in a line! And I have several hearing friends that do that.

But, you know, come to think of it, e.e. cummings' poetry never used capitalization, and it annoyed me to read his poetry.

I agree with you on that. I loose focus on what the topic even is. It becomes nothing more than a bunch of words in a line! And I have several hearing friends that do that.

But, you know, come to think of it, e.e. cummings' poetry never used capitalization, and it annoyed me to read his poetry.

Same here. If I come across a post written this way on the bipolar message board I mentioned and find that there are no paragraph breaks, I stop reading after the second sentence.

You have a good point about e.e. cummings. His lack of capitalization used to annoy me too -- especially when all of my English teachers were nagging me about using proper punctuation. :giggle:

If e.e. cummings is a published poet and can get away with not using correct capitalization, why can't I? :lol:

LOL. My nephew lived with me for awhile about 4 years ago. He was a WOW addict, and I would hear the little servant guys saying, "Yes, sire. Ready to serve." over and over and over again!:giggle:

Did he play on Alliance side? I mostly play Horde. I sure don't remember mobs (short for mobiles which refers to any character that isn't controlled by a player) saying that. I do recall some saying "praise the shadow" or "how may I help you?" (sometimes at pretty inapporate moments i.e while fighting someone) or God bless you...

Did he play on Alliance side? I mostly play Horde. I sure don't remember mobs (short for mobiles which refers to any character that isn't controlled by a player) saying that. I do recall some saying "praise the shadow" or "how may I help you?" (sometimes at pretty inapporate moments i.e while fighting someone) or God bless you...

I think I know what reference the speech is coming from, it comes from those Warcraft III unit workers.

Either Humans or the Undead.
peasant.gif

Yes mi'lord! What is it! Wot? More work!?

acolyte.gif

I am bound to your will. My life for Nerzul (sp?). Where shall my blood be spilled?

Back on topic with the grammar thing: There was this study done about how a lot of people revolutionized by the internet are see and read words without having to type out the whole thing, namely due to common spelling mistakes while chatting.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Aoccdrnig to a rseearchr at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit any porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe."

[/FONT] I am typng here to see mybe u can undrstnd how ths intrstng mthod of chttng can actlly mke snse to you evn tho the spllng is ttlly incrrct.

wre u abl to undrstd how the prvius prgrph cld make snse?

I think I know what reference the speech is coming from, it comes from those Warcraft III unit workers.

peasant.gif

acolyte.gif
I am bound to your will. My life for Nerzul (sp?). Where shall my blood be spilled?

Back on topic with the grammar thing: There was this study done about how a lot of people revolutionized by the internet are see and read words without having to type out the whole thing, namely due to common spelling mistakes while chatting.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Aoccdrnig to a rseearchr at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit any porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe."

[/FONT] I am typng here to see mybe u can undrstnd how ths intrstng mthod of chttng can actlly mke snse to you evn tho the spllng is ttlly incrrct.

It is readable by people who read by word shape. :)

I think he did play on the Alliance side.

peasant.gif

acolyte.gif

That is known as top down processing, and has been a well known concept in cognitive psychology for many, many years. I have discussed the fact that we all use top down processing when we are reading in other discussions on literacy, and the implications it has for literacy in the deaf population in several other threads.

I read mostly by word shape so it's understandable to me.

I didn't have any difficulty understanding either. When I learned Braille, I was taught to look at words in terms of their prefix and suffix. This helps me recognize words as a whole instead of reading individual letters. I do the same thing when I read fingerspelling tactually.

I didn't have any difficulty understanding either. When I learned Braille, I was taught to look at words in terms of their prefix and suffix. This helps me recognize words as a whole instead of reading individual letters. I do the same thing when I read fingerspelling tactually.

That is very interesting.

That is of interest to me.. I hadn't thought about how the blind are taught to read.

That is of interest to me.. I hadn't thought about how the blind are taught to read.

Agreed. I thought it was very interesting that top down processing is used whether one is looking at the word, or feeling the word. I have seen studies that indicate that the deaf use top down processing when they process words that are finerspelled, or process a sign that has two or more movements to complete it, but I never considered the same concept when reading braille.

Agreed. I thought it was very interesting that top down processing is used whether one is looking at the word, or feeling the word. I have seen studies that indicate that the deaf use top down processing when they process words that are finerspelled, or process a sign that has two or more movements to complete it, but I never considered the same concept when reading braille.

When a blind child or adult learns Braille, they learn various contractions or short form words. Examples of contractions are "prefixes" like "dis" "st" and "ar" while word endings include "ing" "tion" and "ation."

If I read the word stationary, I "see" the word in the following way:
"st" "ation" "ary."

The same is true for short form words like "the" "that" "can" "do" "people" "knowledge" and "have."

Short form words are one way of making Braille alot easier (and faster) to read because instead of words being spelled out individually, they are given specific signs that allow a blind person to read them as one character rather than several individual letters.

Another thing blind people are taught when they learn Braille is not to "scrub" the dots. (i.e. move their fingers back and forth across the Braille dots from left to right or up and down) When reading Braille, it should (if possible) be done with both hands and several fingers at a time (usually the first 3 fingers of each hand) in a continuous left to right motion. This is to make reading easier so that a person can read Braille in the way I described to Jillio in my previous post.

Back