Odd questions from hearing people

One time I was at the airport with my ex. He was helping me check in since it was an international flight which is a bit more complicated than domestic flight check in. The person I was checking in with was a moron. He asked my ex if he could sign my name on the X line? I grabbed the pen from the moron and signed it myself... Then he asked if I needed a wheelchair?? My ex gave him a very puzzled look and said, "Then how is she even walking right now? She's perfectly capable of it." Some people are really stupid.

I've gotten braille menus in restaurants. These people really have no common sense.

Stuff I've gotten:
Do you get headaches?
Sorry you can't hear the music, you're missing out!
Can you read braille?
I heard deaf girls are really loud when having sex.
How are you going to get married?
Are you even allowed to drive?
Why do you have a cell phone if you can't hear?

And the list goes on... :/

As a certified nursing assistant (CNA), I had to attend these type of meeting or I can lose my license. I rarely know what these people are saying, but I have no choice but watch and learn. Sometimes when there is a new technique and I didn't hear it at the meeting, my co-workers will take the time and teach me. I never found the point of going to these meetings either, but it is required.

Your company should provide you an ASL interpreter for the meeting. Did you ask your supervisor about your request?

I Googled it, I found it and here is:
Must Employer Provide Sign Language Interpreter During Team Meetings?

I was on a date with a guy one night...it was our fourth date and I told him I was deaf. He was shocked because we had been using spoken language, and he said there was no indication I had any kind of hearing loss. So I go on to explain to him about deafness.

He blurted out, "Can deaf chicks have sex?" *buzzer sound*

Needless to say, that was the last date I agreed to go with him on.

"Oh. You're deaf? Um, where is your mother?"

- Bank Teller

(I was trying to withdraw my money from the bank...I was 28 years old.)

One time I was at the airport with my ex. He was helping me check in since it was an international flight which is a bit more complicated than domestic flight check in. The person I was checking in with was a moron. He asked my ex if he could sign my name on the X line? I grabbed the pen from the moron and signed it myself... Then he asked if I needed a wheelchair?? My ex gave him a very puzzled look and said, "Then how is she even walking right now? She's perfectly capable of it." Some people are really stupid.

I've gotten braille menus in restaurants. These people really have no common sense.

Stuff I've gotten:
Do you get headaches?
Can you read braille?

That makes me wonder do they have Deaf People for Dummies yellow book? Lol.

That makes me wonder do they have Deaf People for Dummies yellow book? Lol.

you could have made alot of money making that book.... how about this, we all give a list, Alex publish it and call it "AllDEAF book for dummy" i believe there is a website that let you publish books for charity cause.

You have to being joking ! A person asked if you need a W/C!! some people are really dumb. Someone ask me if I sleep with my HA on, I guess they thought I needed to so I could hear in my dreams! LOL!!

Never really had been asked stupid questions.

Only thing I can think I was asked was "what is it like to be deaf?" *shrugs*

Never really had been asked stupid questions.

Only thing I can think I was asked was "what is it like to be deaf?" *shrugs*

Wow, seem like your country did something right. Of course, this doesn't mean they don't have a medical view of deaf.

Back in our NTID days, my buddy and I stopped in a McD's to order lunch.

When my buddy speaks, he is understandable, but has a monotone/nasal voice that is obviously different, but it is understandable.

I ordered my food without incident. He orders his from the same teen girl. The girl's face turned into that usual "deer in the headlights" stare. She was frozen in place, could not move. After 2-3 tries, I finally approached her and said "QUARTER POUNDER MEAL".

No response. She was still in shock. The manager heard all this, came over, and had to physically push her away to complete the transaction. Manager apologized profusely.

We sat down and ate. Looked over to the counter, the girl is still visibly upset by the whole thing and kept staring at us. Poor thing must have thought we were doing it on purpose.

Curious as to what airport that incident happened at.

Friends of ours went to France, and were treated like this throughout the whole trip. Restaurants were totally put off by their efforts to communicate.

Curious as to what airport that incident happened at.

Friends of ours went to France, and were treated like this throughout the whole trip. Restaurants were totally put off by their efforts to communicate.

It was in Boston on my way to Italy.

As a certified nursing assistant (CNA), I had to attend these type of meeting or I can lose my license. I rarely know what these people are saying, but I have no choice but watch and learn. Sometimes when there is a new technique and I didn't hear it at the meeting, my co-workers will take the time and teach me. I never found the point of going to these meetings either, but it is required.
You're a nurse? Wow! I tip my hat off to ya then. Cause just from watching them work in hospitals when visiting sick relatives and so forth, I know it ain't easy.

No I am not a nurse. I more like an orderly. I give people food, drinks, monitor their pulses,blood pressure ,input(food and drinks) ,and output(bm ),make beds, give baths, dress them ,help them go to the bathroom ( most of the used undergarment so I have to take of that too) and so on. I'm not a LPN or RN (nurses)

And yes it is a busy job. At worst I had to take care 60 bed ridden residents (30 rooms)
In one shift. All because workers won't show up for work. Which is why I think requiring deaf to use a manual blood pressure is ridiculous. We need more people because of the high turnover rate.

Stuff I've gotten:
Do you get headaches?
Can you read braille?

I rarely encounter most strangers saying/asking those things......

Back