Odd questions from hearing people

green427

Reaction score
Bear with me, I am new here, and don't get to socialize with deaf much anymore, and need to vent.

I've been asked this many, many times over the years.

When my lunch break time comes, I usually get in my car and go to a fast-food restaurant, and sit in a corner of the restaurant looking out the window while eating.

That, or I bring my lunch and eat at my desk.

A few hearing people asked me this: "How can you eat in a restaurant all by yourself? I would never get caught eating alone!!"

They looked at me like I was on drugs when I said "I am used to eating alone, since no one usually invites me to lunch with them. Plus, I enjoy being alone most of the time, especially when I am around hearing people".

I've also been asked "Why don't you eat at the picnic table with the rest of us?"

"Because I can't keep up with what everyone is saying".

They still don't get it.

Any of you experience that too?

it's nonsense. they are trying to pin your behavior on your deafness. :bsflag:
it's like saying picking your nose is an inherited trait

Last edited:
I love this one...

"How can you drive if you cant hear?"

"Dont you wish you can hear music? I feel sorry for you!"

Many many more :roll:

OH, brother. It is all about pity on you and every one of us like Shel just said. :roll:

Bear with me, I am new here, and don't get to socialize with deaf much anymore, and need to vent.

I've been asked this many, many times over the years.

When my lunch break time comes, I usually get in my car and go to a fast-food restaurant, and sit in a corner of the restaurant looking out the window while eating.

That, or I bring my lunch and eat at my desk.

A few hearing people asked me this: "How can you eat in a restaurant all by yourself? I would never get caught eating alone!!"

They looked at me like I was on drugs when I said "I am used to eating alone, since no one usually invites me to lunch with them. Plus, I enjoy being alone most of the time, especially when I am around hearing people".

I've also been asked "Why don't you eat at the picnic table with the rest of us?"

"Because I can't keep up with what everyone is saying".

They still don't get it.

Any of you experience that too?

I have not had this happen , but I think the people are real jerks and are not worth the time of day! As for eating alone at a restaurant, I see this all the time, and the person is not deaf or HOH . Some people like to eat alone and it not a crime. I would not let this get to you.

How can you speak so well when you can't hear?

You can't be that deaf if you speak well...

Whats that on your ear *pointing at HA's*

I remember when I was little, a stranger came up to us and asked us for the football scores from my HAs! My stepdad said 'No, she's deaf and Hearing Aids isn't a radio' something like that.

Knowing that some hearies are really rude....but as for eating alone, and hearies inviting me to eat with them at their table, I usually do if I'm in the mood for company and have time on my hands and thank them for the invite. I've made a lot of casual friends that way and some do take the time to speak so I can read their lips.

I've encountered many older people, who were hearing all their lives, but now are severely HOH or deaf. It comes with age, too. They know no sign language, know nothing about the deaf culture. They become depressed over it and isolated, even suicidal. Compassion is needed.

In high school, I tried to eat alone all the time, but my friends would not have that. wherever I sit, they follow and sit with me. One time , Their feelings actually got hurt because they didn't understand. I didn't understand why they wanted to sit next to me, It's not like I can understand anything they are saying in the cafeteria. all I wanted to do is relax from all day from class (I usually feel overwhelm)

I've noticed that many of the hearing people that I've met ask such silly/stupid questions is simply because they're too ignorant to think about it or know ahead of time. All are surprised that deaf people can eat, drive, and text! I introduced my hearing friend to a deaf friend and they said, "she's deaf?! But she's so pretty!" I said, "what are deaf people supposed to look like?!" It's amazing how much can be misplaced due to some odd perceptions...

Thanks for reading,

iacobus

How about this classic......"What's it like being deaf?"

LOL....

Oh, and I forgot this one:

While waiting in line to buy a sandwich & drink, a big redneck guy behind me points at my CI and says "Hey, whaddat on your head?"

Me: Cochlear Implant.

Him: Oh, yeah, my niece has one of those things. What does it do?

Me: It helps me hear. Is your niece deaf, too?

Him: Yeah, my niece has that. She has seizures. That thing stops her from having seizures and shaking all over.

Me: That is a different medical device to prevent seizures. Mine is a Cochlear Implant. It helps me hear better.

Him: Oh yeah, same thing.

Me: Uh, not really. This is a hearing aid, she has a seizure controller.

Him: What did you say that thing did?

Me: It helps me hear better.

Him: Cool. Where can I get one of those?

Me: You need to be deaf in order to get one.

Him: What does it do again?

Cashier: IT HELPS HIM HEAR BETTER!!!!

Me: Thanks. Gotta go now.

:roll:

........ "she's deaf?! But she's so pretty!" I said, "what are deaf people supposed to look like?!"

:lol:

I still have a few people (especially backwoods rednecks) say the word "death" instead of "deaf".

Maybe they think we are the walking dead???

LOL....

While waiting in line to buy a sandwich & drink, a big redneck guy behind me points at my CI and says "Hey, whaddat on your head?"

Him: Yeah, my niece has that. She has seizures. That thing stops her from having seizures and shaking all over.

Me: That is a different medical device to prevent seizures. Mine is a Cochlear Implant. It helps me hear better.

This conversation is so awkward that it almost made me think he was mocking you. Somehow he thinks deaf is the same as seizure? he really doesn't get it, does he?

then again some people like details like how does it works, kinda like explaining engines in cars instead of just plain old "it help me hear better"

( Some rednecks love mechanical details. I grew up with Rednecks. my dad and brothers are mechanics and they call themselves rednecks too)

LOL....

:rofl: at the bold statement from a Cashier. Very funny when the guy did not get it about CI. Geeze! :roll:

I remember when I was little, a stranger came up to us and asked us for the football scores from my HAs! My stepdad said 'No, she's deaf and Hearing Aids isn't a radio' something like that.

I was at a doctor office and I was having a hard time understanding the doctor, so he leaned over and talked into my HA!! I am thinking WTF! I thought a DR. would know better than do than , I was not sure what to say to him. I never had a DR do that before.

Ever had your boss say "I KNOW you can hear".. ?

aaaaugghhh

"Are you sure you can't take the minutes from this board meeting?"

Back