Odd Behavior

Jezie

Reaction score
I do not know why I cannot have a normal pet... birds that sleep on their back..rabbits that only eat vegetables cooked and loved steak... but I am at a compete loss about my cat, and nor clue how to correct it.
Gizmo is a shelter rescue I obtained about 3 years ago and he has a horrible habit of eating the handles off of all plastic bags... I have to be quick about getting them put away after shopping or he will eat all of them off.
I am curious what odd behaviors do your pets have and how did you correct them, or did you?

My dog love to eat rabbit poop ! This is more gross to me , I have to watch him when I take him out. Maybe the plastic bags handles smell like food to your dog, are they from your grocery shopping ?

Cat and no... The bag can be for anything and the handles are gone lol

My cat used to eat Christmas tree tinsel (then poop out the strands) and threaded needles (costly trip to the vet).

One of our Labs ate the fiberglass insulating blanket off the water heater; he also chomped thru venomous snakes and bit down on a dead porcupine (another expensive vet bill).

Both our Labs used to steal tomatoes from my garden. I know it was them because their poop had the undigested seeds in it.

My female Lab had a false pregnancy once. Her body swelled up and she "adopted" a plastic toy puppy that she constantly groomed and protected. The vet had to give her a hormone shot to get her back to normal.

OK , my dog will want to eat anything that smell like food , that is a bad habit your dog has . You'll have to keep the bags out of reach . I find my small dog will jump onto a chair and take food off the table so I have to remeber to be careful too. I would love to see a photo of your bird sleeping on it back ! I think I would had thought the bird was dead at first !

My cat used to eat Christmas tree tinsel (then poop out the strands) and threaded needles (costly trip to the vet).

One of our Labs ate the fiberglass insulating blanket off the water heater; he also chomped thru venomous snakes and bit down on a dead porcupine (another expensive vet bill).

Both our Labs used to steal tomatoes from my garden. I know it was them because their poop had the undigested seeds in it.

Oh my did your cat never learn? I am lucky that gizzy's bag eating as not resulted in surgery. I spoke with the vet and she thinks gizzy goes out and regurgitates the bag handles.

Oh my did your cat never learn? I am lucky that gizzy's bag eating as not resulted in surgery. I spoke with the vet and she thinks gizzy goes out and regurgitates the bag handles.
Nope, didn't learn.

Maybe your cat likes the texture of the handles.

My cat used to eat Christmas tree tinsel (then poop out the strands)

And if the strand was sticking out the butt, we knew not to pull but just cut it so as not to cut the kitty's insides.

Which is why I stopped using tinsel on our trees.

And if the strand was sticking out the butt, we knew not to pull but just cut it so as not to cut the kitty's insides.

Which is why I stopped using tinsel on our trees.
We stopped immediately, too. We used garlands instead.

OK , my dog will want to eat anything that smell like food , that is a bad habit your dog has . You'll have to keep the bags out of reach . I find my small dog will jump onto a chair and take food off the table so I have to remeber to be careful too. I would love to see a photo of your bird sleeping on it back ! I think I would had thought the bird was dead at first !
CAT not dog

Gizzy is my cat... i work very hard to keep hom out of the plastic bags.... i do not have a picture of my bird though... that was a childhood pet along with the rabbit. But I also thought I killed him the first day I had him lol ended up making him a bed until he learn to get out of the cage and then would sleep with me lol

Gizzy is my cat... i work very hard to keep hom out of the plastic bags.... i do not have a picture of my bird though... that was a childhood pet along with the rabbit. But I also thought I killed him the first day I had him lol ended up making him a bed until he learn to get out of the cage and then would sleep with me lol

WOW ! I never heard of a bird sleeping with a person that is sweet , what kind of bird was it ?

We had one too it was a blue one and my mom didn't let us know she was letting it out his cage and we didn't close the door fast enough . :( We left the cage outside with food and water but he never came back . He would land on my dad bald head ! I think the bird thought it was rock or something ! LOL !

Dogs eating rabbit poo is not that odd. Several dogs - or at least most of them- in my family have eaten different poop. They also like to try to eat dead birds and road kill (ew).

Like Reba- my aunt had one pet who once ate a small needlepoint needle- expensive vet bill for that. He also partially ate my purple flipflops (shower type I guess?). Pooped purple flecked poo for a while.

As for cats- I can't remember if my 2 and the one I babysat for 9 months had any aside from the usual- trying to catch the ceiling fan sort of thing.

Interesting pet behaviour thread! Growing up, our family dog was a terrier mix named Shorty (m, RIP). Shorty loved eating the petals off the tulips.

Not too long ago, had a rescue cat named Peewee. Peewee (m, ran away), would raid the bathroom garbage and take the dirty Qtips out and eat off the cotton and leave the stick.

Lastly, and most recent, another rescue dog, Cayenne (f, RIP) used to eat my wifes panties...lmao..sorry TMI on the last one, but that is common among dogs, eh?

When we lived in military housing we had a Siamese cat that was a street rescue. Our housing was rows of identical townhouses that didn't have screen or storm doors so many people left their doors open at times. Our cat liked to go upstairs in our house to the linen closet, which had louvered bifold doors. He could use his paw to pull open the door. He would climb up into the towel shelf, get cozy, and shut the door behind him for privacy. That was bad enough--he also would do that in neighbors' houses! Can you imagine opening up your closet and having a strange cat in there glaring at you for disturbing his nap? :lol:

Back