Obsession on deafness or disability?

As to ongoing intermural discussion re DEAFness a "disability" re: state "benefits" a never ending circle.
Does the reaction how one deals with the fact of DEAFness have any meaning?

More discussion in Sociology re: "cultural vs disability"- DEAFness.

And magically the exact type of person the OP was asking about on this thread appears in the flesh and gives the perfect example of the obsession over their disability that no one els gives a $hit about.... well except other disability obsessed folks. But I am sure u can take just about any type of disability and find the same type of obsessive folks..

deaf Militants reactions? Is this an instance of "steamboat era regression"?

deaf Militants reactions? Is this an instance of "steamboat era regression"?

why are you so stupid at times? of course we're NOT in the steam boat era, why you think deaf culture is somewhat born from there. it has been around since Jesus times or further back caveman times, dinosaur-avoiding culture might have relied on sign for survival... whatever...just because 'popular literature' started to publish culturally aspects of deaf lives began at the time(of 'steamboat era as you wishfully say), during the enlightenment period, at that same time the literature printing was booming too

what you thinking on deaf culture is so lacking and so misinformed, and truly, please leave sociology out for the professionals, its not for armchair theorist..

Last edited:
Why is disabled a bad word? Disabled means unable to do something. So what. I am visually disabled and without my lenses everything is a blur, so I'm disabled in the visual area. If you are unable to hear, you are disabled in that area. Who turned "disability" into an evil, demeaning word? It isn't. And another thing, if deafness isn't a disability, why do some deaf collect disability checks?

I have a problem with people trying to change the definition of "disability" to mean only people who can't walk, can't see, can't think etc , but not people who can't hear, have a disability.

Disability doesn't mean you less of a person and are useless; it means you are unable to do a specific thing, like hearing, or in my case, seeing clearly.

Definition: Disability is the consequence of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these. A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person's lifetime.

Why is disabled a bad word? Disabled means unable to do something. So what. I am visually disabled and without my lenses everything is a blur, so I'm disabled in the visual area. If you are unable to hear, you are disabled in that area. Who turned "disability" into an evil, demeaning word? It isn't. And another thing, if deafness isn't a disability, why do some deaf collect disability checks?

I have a problem with people trying to change the definition of "disability" to mean only people who can't walk, can't see, can't think etc , but not people who can't hear, have a disability.

Disability doesn't mean you less of a person and are useless; it means you are unable to do a specific thing, like hearing, or in my case, seeing clearly.

Definition: Disability is the consequence of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these. A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person's lifetime.

i see your point, well no, you;re talking about impairments, not disability, disability is more about how society stops you, on account of your impairment. these are not interchangable terms, quite distinct.

i agree deaf should stop being naive about 'its not a disability' because it IS! thats all id say. youre right on most things said but you're really talking about physical or sensorial impairment, people have psychiartric impairments too
but the phenomenone of being treat less (like women) in society, that's disability

Because some people can't separate it from their identity, so if you say "hearing impaired" they can't think of that strictly having to do with their ears, they feel you are saying they are impaired, and they take it as a critism when it's just a fact, not a judgement. And it's not a discription of the person, just the state of their ears. But they just can't separate it.

Because some people can't separate it from their identity, so if you say "hearing impaired" they can't think of that strictly having to do with their ears, they feel you are saying they are impaired, and they take it as a critism when it's just a fact, not a judgement. And it's not a discription of the person, just the state of their ears. But they just can't separate it.

..but there are negative associated with this 'impairment' of the body which why some Deaf take offense, i understand bit as reasonable, what i dont find reasonable is when Deaf says they are not Disabled, I have a problem with that, because it is untrue. 'Being a "fact" as you say...its society's prefered way of explaining, while it seems 'neutral' it never is, because it is left only on the surface, as 'unassumming'...

and oftentimes, hearing people DO automatically arrive to 'impaired' to mean more that just ears, its a pysche thing as well, as a paucity of 'recognition' deemed as a person if you will, but it never as it in 'full', if you like, that does do real psychological harm, even very small, it's not so much the quality of 'harm', more as a 'quantity of harm' being frequent in day to day living...ordinary activity...as for you Ambrosia since you werent deaf all your life,, the life long impact, very small but millions does affects, its like millions of 'harmless flies' swarming in the air, while it doesnt stop you moving or deciding to go somewhere else, but at that instance the 'atmosphere' become difficult , itchy and unwanted, since it lasts and lasts a long time...its makes alll that difference...you become irratiable...and thus 'develops strong(er) reaction to the words "impaired' , "impairment' 'different' even 'deaf" (with small d)...becomes something undesirable and quite attach follows you around like a tail...its not something 'normal' or 'ridiculous' Most deafs who were borned into this negativity-oriented world, just cant help it, but dont like it, and yes I dont blame them, (i myself dont worry about it until..awkwardness and i do try out of it quick as possible)...its a disability thing...the way we experiences situations in this world...

Why is disabled a bad word?

Myself being HoH prefer to see it as a challenge. My views and beliefs may change in time but for now that is how I see it. Some people for the life of them cannot figure out how to use electronics, they are technically challenged. There are some things I’ll never hear again, I’m hearing challenged not disabled.

if deafness isn't a disability, why do some deaf collect disability checks?

Some need short term help to survive. I've been there myself and I’ll never judge them. Sadly though, there are people from all walks of life that are dishonest. Have you ever taken something that wasn't yours? Have you ever told a lie, even a small one?

Different culture. It has a different language and some differences in customs. If I didn't already know a little German and Russian I would be lost if I was to go to those countries and not know anything. Fortunately when I had great hearing I bumped into the Deaf World a few times and with the help of an interpreter I was was able to learn a little about the language and culture.

The condition of DEAFness has been around since the "beginning of time" however how one actually deals with "it" has changed over time.
Especially since the "introduction of Hearing aids and Cochlear Implants. over the last "short period of time". In historical terms.

How long "sign communication" has been utilized- not too much "written down" apparently.

The condition of DEAFness has been around since the "beginning of time" however how one actually deals with "it" has changed over time.
Especially since the "introduction of Hearing aids and Cochlear Implants. over the last "short period of time". In historical terms.

How long "sign communication" has been utilized- not too much "written down" apparently.
drphil, I think you should know that the spelling "DEAF" is also a genetic disposition for mammalian and arthropod species.
It stands for Deformed Epidermal Autoregulatory Factor. Apparently this condition induces cell proliferation due to genetically defective proteins in the mammary glands are mutating, resulting in some deformity or possibly swelling of the area. I certainly hope you do not have this condition, it sounds terrible!

Characterization of a nuclear deformed epidermal autoregulatory factor-1 (DEAF-1)-related (NUDR) transcriptional regulator protein. - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9773984
DEAF1 Gene - GeneCards | DEAF1 Protein | DEAF1 Antibody - http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=DEAF1

thmf_popcorn.gif

There are some things I’ll never hear again, I’m hearing challenged not disabled.

Does "disabled" mean "unable" If that's true, I'm disabled when it comes to seeing clearly. I am unable to read a book without aids. I have trouble sewing. I can't have a job or trade of profession where good eyesight is needed, unless I'm wearing my lenses, and even then, there are some professions that won't even consider having me because perfect vision is necessary, even though I was a straight A student all my life and was graduated 2 years early from high school, I would be automatically rejected because of my eyesight, and I'm not even blind.

As for collecting disability checks, honestly I don't judge anyone, if you feel like you deserve it, I want you to have it. It's there for you to have, the government said so, and it's yours to have.

I just feel sad when deaf say they're not disabled, because it's like you think it's something shameful. It's not.

Grummer, you made an excellent point that SOCIETY makes the words "disability" and "impaired" to mean we're/you're not as good as everyone else. This has to change.

One more thing I will admit is that I have anxiety disorder that made me give up an opportunity to attend one of the best universities as an early admission grad student (veterinary). This is a disability because I was unable to leave my home and family to move upstate for fear of chronic panic attacks. I have PTSD and hell yeah it's a disability. But so what.

Does "disabled" mean "unable"

No, they are not the same. Using: dictionary.reference.com and merriam-webster.com

Disabled - crippled; injured; incapacitated.
Unable - lacking power, ability, or authority. In other words incompetent.

I am neither I have a challenge.

I just feel sad when deaf say they're not disabled, because it's like you think it's something shameful. It's not.

As the word is defined, I am not.

I guess not everyone is "against' the use of Capital DEAF- comment #74

Back