Obituary

Chase

Premium Member
Reaction score
Obituary

Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place causing such foolishness as:

A six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion, or a Bandaid to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home, but the burglar could sue you if he was hurt.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman didn’t realize a steaming cup of coffee was hot. Through her own carelessness, she spilled some in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust . . . his wife, Discretion . . . his daughter, Responsibility . . . and his son, Reason.

He is survived by wicked cousins: It's my Opinion so it must be True . . . I Know my Rights . . . Someone Else is to Blame . . . and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Eulogist unknown

Not sure why you put it in jokes. It seems like a sad true story to me.

Unfortunately, Common Sense can be over-rated these days. :(

Unfortunately, Common Sense can be over-rated these days. :(

Hmmmm. At first your comment puzzled me. Then I got to thinking that where you are, "common sense" might not have the same meaning as where I am.

Here, it means basic wisdom, practicality, good judgment.

I'm wondering if you're thinking "common knowledge." Now THAT is definitely overrated. For instance, it used to be common knowledge that the earth was flat and the sun moved around it. Now it's common knowledge that civilization is responsible for global warming, and it can be fixed if we simply become uncivilized.

It's an excellent example of Common Sense falling by the wayside. Sad but so true!

Hmmmm. At first your comment puzzled me. Then I got to thinking that where you are, "common sense" might not have the same meaning as where I am.

Here, it means basic wisdom, practicality, good judgment.

I'm wondering if you're thinking "common knowledge." Now THAT is definitely overrated. For instance, it used to be common knowledge that the earth was flat and the sun moved around it. Now it's common knowledge that civilization is responsible for global warming, and it can be fixed if we simply become uncivilized.

I was thinking of this in both ways with common sense and common knowledge. What I meant by saying common sense is over-rated these days is because there are some kinds of people who does not practice good judgment, basic wisdom, or doesn't wish to follow it for the heck of it. I'm not saying everyone is like this but there's bound to be some bad apples out there that we've encountered with. It just seems that some people I've encountered with basically doesn't wish to do this or that. So, that is why I said this out of consideration.

I wonder if common sense will ever come back......probably not as long as modern world remains obstinate about their expectation of entitlement.

Yes, I see how many had buried their common sense too often especially when it comes to the parents of my students. I do not need to elaborate but in the joke, it is so true about how teaching has become so difficult due to common sense being buried.

Very sad, but it's true that they didn't use their good judgment sense :(

Back