Obama's praise for giving Vick 2nd Chance

nobody456

Reaction score
On Vick, Obama again steps outside the lines

I think Vick has served his time and made the most of the 2nd chance given to him. I know what Vick had done was shameful in many regards.

Do you think it's "ok" for a sitting President to do say what he said in the article?

I'm "ok" with it, so long as Vick doesn't intentionally commit a crime again.

Of course, I can't really say that much for other criminals who do their time...Does similar employment/2nd chances wait for them after prison? Vick's crime was probably unique to most criminal, so that may not be a great, unbiased question to ask.

My two cents....All criminals that "do their time" deserve a second chance. At least to an extent. Vick certainly deserves his chance to make a living playing football having served his tim. And, although I dislike his team I enjoy watching him display his talent.

I would have no problem hiring a felony who had served their sentence and convinced me they had learned from that experience. (assuming my insurance would allow it)

However......Should he be allowed to own dogs again???? My opinion is "no" on that.

America was founded on second chances.

to reduce poverty and unemployment in America... we need to change our views toward felons. Many prisoners who got out of prisons tend to repeat crimes because once they're out of prison - they're basically unhireable. what can they do???

to reduce poverty and unemployment in America... we need to change our views toward felons. Many prisoners who got out of prisons tend to repeat crimes because once they're out of prison - they're basically unhireable. what can they do???

Exactly. Prisons ware house them, and then send them right back into the same circumstances they were in before. What do people expect is going to happen?

I do agree, that Vick deserves another chance, and he's playing well in football. I don't agree with allowing him to have another animal, tho'. My family admires him for his football prowess, but not as a person.....even tho' we've never met him in person. Those pit bulls suffered horribly.

One of our family members recently got out of prison, after 9 years, for drug offenses. His father gave him a job with his company, gave him a place to live, rent free, in his home.....he was given family support....Still, after 3 months, he quit the job, moved in with some other druggies and is back to where he started.....No car, no job, and running from the police....

Drugs are still available in prison, so is alcohol (which they make themselves). Last I heard, he had lost over 40 lbs.. looked horrible....

It makes me angry! If being in prison for 9 months didn't do one iota for him, then I believe that's where he belongs, for life.

Last edited:
I do agree, that Vick deserves another chance, and he's playing well in football. I don't agree with allowing him to have another animal, tho'. My family admires him for his football prowess, but not as a person.....even tho' we've never met him in person. Those pit bulls suffered horribly.

One of our family members recently got out of prison, after 9 years, for drug offenses. His father gave him a job with his company, gave him a place to live, rent free, in his home.....he was given family support....Still, after 3 months, he quit the job, moved in with some other druggies and is back to where he started.....No car, no job, and running from the police....

Drugs are still available in prison, so is alcohol (which they make themselves). Last I heard, he had lost over 40 lbs.. looked horrible....

It makes me angry! If being in prison for 9 months didn't do one iota for him, then I believe that's where he belongs, for life.

If it didn't work after nine years, it is a pretty good indication that our prison system is not functioning as it is intended...not that your family member is a bad seed.

Ever been in prison? You would probably do drugs, too, if you could find them.

That is simply the nature of addiction. You can be clean and sober for 20 years, and the first hit/drink you take, boom, it is like you never stopped.

If it didn't work after nine years, it is a pretty good indication that our prison system is not functioning as it is intended...not that your family member is a bad seed.

I don't believe our prison system has ever functioned as it should be. Prison is the last resort for someone who won't or cannot reform, and he had been in and out of rehab before finally being incarnated. He does have a beautififul and caring family, supportive also. Had a very nice wife and child...a good job! Nice home, he had it all!

No, I've never been in prison. I realize it can rob you of all your self-esteem, practically strip you naked.....and only the strong can or could survive 9 years in there......No one wants to go there. As for doing drugs in prison, speaking for myself, no, I don't think so....I know what drugs can do to you...and ur family.....He knew also, but continued to do so and continues to do drugs after being released....so drugs are his choice...over his family and his freedom.

Vick does not need to get a second chance. sorry. i feel for animals/dogs' suffering.

Vick does not need to get a second chance. sorry. i feel for dogs' suffering.

Back on topic....I felt the same way....but he served his time and is out....and everyone who makes mistakes like he did, gets 2nd chances. Now if he did this with Humans....he would be locked up for life!....
He's a very talented football player, that's all he has going for him...when his career is over, .....what does he have??? His torture/fighting and killing of the Pit Bulls will follow him the rest of his life.

And wondering also....if the Eagles were NOT having such a good year, would Obama call and "praise" Vick?

Back on topic....I felt the same way....but he served his time and is out....and everyone who makes mistakes like he did, gets 2nd chances. Now if he did this with Humans....he would be locked up for life!....
He's a very talented football player, that's all he has going for him...when his career is over, .....what does he have??? His torture/fighting and killing of the Pit Bulls will follow him the rest of his life.

And wondering also....if the Eagles were NOT having such a good year, would Obama call and "praise" Vick?

what if vick did something to your own dogs. Do you still giving him a second chance?

Wirelessly posted

rockin'robin said:

I don't believe our prison system has ever functioned as it should be. Prison is the last resort for someone who won't or cannot reform, and he had been in and out of rehab before finally being incarnated. He does have a beautififul and caring family, supportive also. Had a very nice wife and child...a good job! Nice home, he had it all!

No, I've never been in prison. I realize it can rob you of all your self-esteem, practically strip you naked.....and only the strong can or could survive 9 years in there......No one wants to go there. As for doing drugs in prison, speaking for myself, no, I don't think so....I know what drugs can do to you...and ur family.....He knew also, but continued to do so and continues to do drugs after being released....so drugs are his choice...over his family and his freedom.

Okay. Everyone knows drugs are bad. Sex can lead to pregnancy. Slacking off leads to unproductive lives. We know excessive video games lead to delayed academic success. Yet we all still go against what we've been taught. You say you won't do drugs? Do you know that for sure?

I am not against him having a second chance. If he wants another animal, I would recommend he go to counselling prior to and throughout the pet ownership-- just like how incarnated animal hoarders are expected to see psychological help after they served their time.

what if vick did something to your own dogs. Do you still giving him a second chance?

Not to watch my dog. But to be a "contributing member of society" by holding down a "job". Sure.

I'll let psych/parole whatever experts involved in criminal case decide how or if the criminal should actually be responsible of ownership of similar victim/property. In other words, it's not really up to me to decide if Vick should own another dog, but I know I wouldn't let him babysit my dog - unless I actually could trust him by knowing him and the circumstances/context to which his crimes were committed.

Back