Obama supports Mosque at Ground Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steinhauer

Reaction score
Obama throws support behind controversial Islamic center - CNN.com

As an American, I totally agree with Obama that freedom of religion in America should be "unshakeable". Any American can practice their religion, anywhere and at anytime. Or, on the other hand, are free to NOT worship.

This mosque being built 3 blocks from ground zero really does not bother me. If the builders have all the legal permits, the purchase of private property was legal, then there is nothing to really discuss. Muslims have the right to practice their religion in America, anywhere and at anytime.

The only problem I have is that the Imam who is responsible for purchasing and building this mosque. made claims that he supports terrorism. That, to me, seems provocative. I now view the building of this "peaceful" mosque in a different light. Property was offered to this Imam if he would build the mosque elsewhere and he refused.

Just know this. This mosque is an intentional provocative message to all Americans. Naming it "House of Cordoba" is part of that message. It is being built to intentionally insult Americans. It is not being built to build bridges with the community (there are 100 different mosques in New York).

But, America is all about freedom. New Yorkers are perfectly free to build BBQ Pork restaurants all around this mosque. They are free to put in a Muslim themed gay bar across the street. Street vendors are free to sell pork hotdogs right up to where the property line surrounds this mosque.

New Yorkers are free to plaster every square inch around this mosque with pictures of 9/11 victims, pictures of individuals "punished" under Islamic law (decapitations, stoning, havine ears, nose cut off, eyes gouged out, etc.).

You might think I am trying to be hateful. No, I want peace with the Muslims. They need to extend the olive branch first.

Muslims can start by being sensitive to the families who lost loved ones in the 9/11 attack.

I would hate to be one of the guys that do the construction......

It's not really a mosque:

"The developer, Sharif El-Gamal, describes the project as an "Islamic community center" that will include a 500-seat performing arts center, a lecture hall, a swimming pool, a gym, a culinary school, a restaurant and a prayer space for Muslims."

Sounds like a community center... just like YMCA which stands for "Young Men Christian Association."

it's funny how people are so concerned about it when in fact, the majority of Manhattan residents support the Islamic center.

it's funny how people are so concerned about it when in fact, the majority of Manhattan residents support the Islamic center.

really? where?

there you go then. majority of New Yorkers opposed it.... not supported it.

You didn't read, did you?

Or your comprehension was not intact...

I said the majority of *Manhattan residents* support the Islamic center and the link confirmed it:

"Broken down by borough, Manhattan was the most in favor of the mosque, with only 36 percent of residents against it."

Not all New Yorkers are Manhattan residents. The Islamic Center is being built *in* Manhattan.

You didn't read, did you?

Or your comprehension was not intact...

I said the majority of *Manhattan residents* support the Islamic center and the link confirmed it:

"Broken down by borough, Manhattan was the most in favor of the mosque, with only 36 percent of residents against it."

Not all New Yorkers are Manhattan residents. The Islamic Center is being built *in* Manhattan.

Actually it just says "most in favor of" not a majority.......Although it may be. :)

More Than Half Of New Yorkers Don't Want Muslim Center Near Ground Zero, Poll Says »
By Celeste Katz

More than half of New York voters oppose a plan to build a Muslim community center near Ground Zero, says a new Q poll.

A strong 52% of voters in the five boroughs don’t want The Cordoba House built in lower Manhattan, compared to 31% who support it.

Manhattan voters expressed the most support for the project, with 46% in favor and 36% opposed.

Not a majority

The strongest opposition came from Staten Island, where 73% of voters reject the project, compared to just 14 % in favor.

That's a majority

Read more: More Than Half Of New Yorkers Don't Want Muslim Center Near Ground Zero, Poll Says

:)

well. there you go then.

Mischief in Manhattan
We Muslims know the Ground Zero mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation
By Raheel Raza and Tarek Fatah, Citizen Special August 9, 2010

Last week, a journalist who writes for the North Country Times, a small newspaper in Southern California, sent us an e-mail titled "Help." He couldn't understand why an Islamic Centre in an area where Adam Gadahn, Osama bin Laden's American spokesman came from, and that was home to three of the 911 terrorists, was looking to expand.

The man has a very valid point, which leads to the ongoing debate about building a Mosque at Ground Zero in New York. When we try to understand the reasoning behind building a mosque at the epicentre of the worst-ever attack on the U.S., we wonder why its proponents don't build a monument to those who died in the attack?

New York currently boasts at least 30 mosques so it's not as if there is pressing need to find space for worshippers. The fact we Muslims know the idea behind the Ground Zero mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation to thumb our noses at the infidel. The proposal has been made in bad faith and in Islamic parlance, such an act is referred to as "Fitna," meaning "mischief-making" that is clearly forbidden in the Koran.

The Koran commands Muslims to, "Be considerate when you debate with the People of the Book" -- i.e., Jews and Christians. Building an exclusive place of worship for Muslims at the place where Muslims killed thousands of New Yorkers is not being considerate or sensitive, it is undoubtedly an act of "fitna"

So what gives Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf of the "Cordoba Initiative" and his cohorts the misplaced idea that they will increase tolerance for Muslims by brazenly displaying their own intolerance in this case?

Do they not understand that building a mosque at Ground Zero is equivalent to permitting a Serbian Orthodox church near the killing fields of Srebrenica where 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered?

There are many questions that we would like to ask. Questions about where the funding is coming from? If this mosque is being funded by Saudi sources, then it is an even bigger slap in the face of Americans, as nine of the jihadis in the Twin Tower calamity were Saudis.

If Rauf is serious about building bridges, then he could have dedicated space in this so-called community centre to a church and synagogue, but he did not. We passed on this message to him through a mutual Saudi friend, but received no answer. He could have proposed a memorial to the 9/11 dead with a denouncement of the doctrine of armed jihad, but he chose not to.

Read more: Mischief in Manhattan

I don't care about mosque will going be built in near ground zero and they are free to build if they have permit.

New York currently boasts at least 30 mosques so it's not as if there is pressing need to find space for worshippers. The fact we Muslims know the idea behind the Ground Zero mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation to thumb our noses at the infidel. The proposal has been made in bad faith and in Islamic parlance, such an act is referred to as "Fitna," meaning "mischief-making" that is clearly forbidden in the Koran.

Hmmm....

More Than Half Of New Yorkers Don't Want Muslim Center Near Ground Zero, Poll Says »
By Celeste Katz

More than half of New York voters oppose a plan to build a Muslim community center near Ground Zero, says a new Q poll.

A strong 52% of voters in the five boroughs don’t want The Cordoba House built in lower Manhattan, compared to 31% who support it.

Not a majority

You're not comprehending at all. :)

"Manhattan voters expressed the most support for the project, with 46% in favor and 36% opposed."

Where did I say "New Yorkers?"

The center is being built IN Manhattan. Have you been to NYC?!?!

Strange how we have not heard a peep out of the AFL-CIO about this.

You're not comprehending at all. :)

"Manhattan voters expressed the most support for the project, with 46% in favor and 36% opposed."

Where did I say "New Yorkers?"

The center is being built IN Manhattan. Have you been to NYC?!?!

I comprehend perfectly..... You said majority of people in Manhattan.... You were wrong. 46% is a plurality not a majority. Have you studied vocabulary??.... :)

You also stated that you article confirmed a majority......it didn't. In fact the article you gave simply stated

Manhattan was the most in favor of the mosque, with only 36 percent of residents against it."

The article you gave never stated how many people from Manhattan were for building the Mosque.

So you were wrong there too...... Perhaps it is you that is having difficulty reading. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back