Obama Passes Mass Shooting Bill: Media No Longer Allowed To Name Mass Shooting Suspec

Jezie

Reaction score
This is not a real news post... I apologize for not noticing this.
Thanks Barbaro for pointing this out ...

Washington, DC — President Barack Obama held a press conference today to announce signing into law a bill that prevents U.S. media outlets from naming the shooting suspect in any of their news coverage. This comes just days after a gunman opened fire inside a classroom at a rural Oregon community college, killing nine people and injuring nine others before committing suicide after a shootout with police.

“Today I’m proud to announce the ‘Mass Shooting Bill’, which will prevent the media and it’s coverage from naming the suspect or perpetrator in horrible tragedies like the recent Oregon shooting. If it is some kind of sick fame these individuals desire then that fame is what will be denied,” Obama told reporters. “With the shooting in Oregon, it is important to remember the 9 innocent lives that were lost that day. We must think of heroes like Chris Mintz, who was shot seven times while saving lives and survived, all on his son’s sixth birthday. We must forget the killer.”

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, who voted against the bill, told Fox News the new law is a clear violation of freedom of speech.

“This goes against the 1st Amendment and everything the founding fathers envisioned for this great country,” Paul said. “Working alongside with other members of Congress, I promise you that we will get this law repealed.”

After the Oregon shooting, media outlets such as NPR received criticism over articles that named the suspect.

http://nbc.com.co/obama-passes-mass...longer-allowed-to-name-mass-shooting-suspect/

Last edited:
Well this will solve itgreat thinkin

Harvard education at its finest....

Now thats solved.....

Lets move on to colonizing mars....

Well this will solve itgreat thinkin

Harvard education at its finest....

Now thats solved.....

Lets move on to colonizing mars....

I know you are being sarcastic, but I am lost on how he thinks this will solve anything...

I understand the sediment behind it... But it is ineffective as abstinence idea....

Washington, DC — President Barack Obama held a press conference today to announce signing into law a bill that prevents U.S. media outlets from naming the shooting suspect in any of their news coverage. This comes just days after a gunman opened fire inside a classroom at a rural Oregon community college, killing nine people and injuring nine others before committing suicide after a shootout with police.

“Today I’m proud to announce the ‘Mass Shooting Bill’, which will prevent the media and it’s coverage from naming the suspect or perpetrator in horrible tragedies like the recent Oregon shooting. If it is some kind of sick fame these individuals desire then that fame is what will be denied,” Obama told reporters. “With the shooting in Oregon, it is important to remember the 9 innocent lives that were lost that day. We must think of heroes like Chris Mintz, who was shot seven times while saving lives and survived, all on his son’s sixth birthday. We must forget the killer.”

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul, who voted against the bill, told Fox News the new law is a clear violation of freedom of speech.

“This goes against the 1st Amendment and everything the founding fathers envisioned for this great country,” Paul said. “Working alongside with other members of Congress, I promise you that we will get this law repealed.”

After the Oregon shooting, media outlets such as NPR received criticism over articles that named the suspect.

http://nb c.com.co/obama-passes-mas...longer-allowed-to-name-mass-shooting-suspect/

This is interesting..
So before the media was able to name a suspect shooter. Now it cant.

So it will play somehing like this...
"A person unknown has murdered a number of children"
Of
"An unidentified person has opened fire at a college"
Or
"Person unknown has been shooting kids in a play ground"

I admit..
Im no ivy league grad...and such..
Im happy the above will work..
Lest we are acrually told who is killing who..
Mmmmmm.....

This is interesting..
So.before the media was able to name.a suspect shooter. Now it cant.

So it will.play somehing like this...
"A person unknown has murdered a number of.children"
Of
"An unidentified person has opened.fire at a college"
Or
"Person unknown.has been.shooting kids in a playy ground"

I admit..
Im no ivy league grad...and such..
Im happy the above.will work..
Lest we.are acrually told.who.is killing who..
Mmmmmm.....

No, but it will change vocabulary... The person will be known, eventually, once the name is known then what? They can no longer say an unidentified person or an unknown person... What vocabulary will be used in its place and how will it affect society's perceptions of each other?

No, but it will change vocabulary... The person will be known, eventually, once the name is known then what? They can no longer say an unidentified person or an unknown person... What vocabulary will be used in its place and how will it affect society's perceptions of each other?

They cant say an unidentified person or unknown person?
Even more interesting..
How about
" a homo sepian sepian is shooting kids"
Mmm...
No no that wont work....after all we shoulsnt advertise homo sepian sepians actually murder people....
How about
" a pi pedel mamilian is opening fire"..

Mmmmm....mmmmm

Oh i dunno.....
What would orwell say...i wonder

They cant say an unidentified person or unknown person?
Even more interesting..
How about
" a homo sepian sepian is shooting kids"
Mmm...
No no that wont work....after all we shoulsnt advertise homo sepian sepians actually murder people....
How about
" a pi pedel mamilian is opening fire"..

Mmmmm....mmmmm

Oh i dunno.....
What would orwell say...i wonder

They can still say it, but then they would be lying.... And a possible legal issue...
Say something a ling the line of..
And active shooter in progress at xyz school... A white male 24 years old.... Maybe describe him with adjectives for being mentally off center ect...

They can still say it, but then they would be lying.... And a possible legal issue...
Say something a ling the line of..
And active shooter in progress at xyz school... A white male 24 years old.... Maybe describe him with adjectives for being mentally off center ect...

Those pesky white males....always mass murdering innocent folk
No white male shouldown.firearms
We just dont know.if.they will mass murder or not...
Mmmm..mmmm

Those pesky white males....always mass murdering innocent folk
No white male shouldown.firearms
We just dont know.if.they will mass murder or not...
Mmmm..mmmm

Y'all are the bane of the all things these days it seems ;)
Nah, just the way changing terms for cannabis makes it more acceptable to change legislation... I am wondering how or will it be spun here...

Y'all are the bane of the all things these days it seems ;)
Nah, just the way changing terms for cannabis makes it more acceptable to change legislation... I am wondering how or will it be spun here...

I like the
"Pi pedal mamalian unknown opening fire"

It states everything anyone should.know...
Only the .gov the state who.is your best friend,nani,and priest rolled all into one should ever know the true details...

The gov is.here to help and will take care of us....

No need.to know who the pi pedel mamalian was or why that pi pedel mamalian did what he/she/it/bit/up/down/ which ever way you like it, did the dead..

Laws such as these always solve the plm...
Its a neat trick....

Hello, Constitution expert President Obama, did you forget something? It's called the First Amendment of the US Constitution? Do you remember freedom of the press, the Bill of Rights?

I'm against glorifying killers and I support memorializing victims but this isn't the way to do it.

Not to mention it won't change anything. So what if mainstream commercial press obey this proposed law? These copycat killers don't get their news from their parents' news sources. We have--gasp--the internet, which will provide all the names and gory details that their little black hearts could desire.

Hello, Constitution expert President Obama, did you forget something? It's called the First Amendment of the US Constitution? Do you remember freedom of the press, the Bill of Rights?

I'm against glorifying killers and I support memorializing victims but this isn't the way to do it.

Not to mention it won't change anything. So what if mainstream commercial press obey this proposed law? These copycat killers don't get their news from their parents' news sources. We have--gasp--the internet, which will provide all the names and gory details that their little black hearts could desire.

What about FCC rule for public broadcasting like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX?

I don't have any opinion about revealing shooter's name in media outlet but I don't understand at all.

Also, juvenile's names cannot be revealed on media outlet without permission from parents.

This is more likely a canery in the coal mine type law.
Pass this..
Test and measure the resistance if any...
Re work

Continue eroding rights under under pretexts which ever pretext works the best to strengthen stae pwoer at the expense of freedom.

Before long

Every one is happy and just fine with knowing pi pedel mamalians are culprits...
And the folly every turns round and round....
We go....

I like the
"Pi pedal mamalian unknown opening fire"

It states everything anyone should.know...
Only the .gov the state who.is your best friend,nani,and priest rolled all into one should ever know the true details...

The gov is.here to help and will take care of us....

No need.to know who the pi pedel mamalian was or why that pi pedel mamalian did what he/she/it/bit/up/down/ which ever way you like it, did the dead..

Laws such as these always solve the plm...
Its a neat trick....

But what if the shooter has a prosthetic leg.... Then it gives room for different political correctness :p

I had to check your name twice lol

But what if the shooter has a prosthetic leg.... Then it gives room for different political correctness :p

I had to check your name twice lol

Typo....eheh...

Or if shooter is in wheel chair....

So on...

I guess to be safe...we can be sure of the homo sepian sepian and mamalian part..
Mmmmm....

Typo....eheh...

Or if shooter is in wheel chair....

So on...

I guess to be safe...we can be sure of the homo sepian sepian and mamalian part..
Mmmmm....

Lol ok I can go with it...

Although now curious with political correctness on table...

is the guy who is tated like a lizard and the man decked like a cat... Are the Homo sepia sepia mammalian? :p

What about FCC rule for public broadcasting like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX?

I don't have any opinion about revealing shooter's name in media outlet but I don't understand at all.

Also, juvenile's names cannot be revealed on media outlet without permission from parents.
Actually, juveniles' names can be published, depending on how those names were acquired.

However, it's usually the news director, editor, or media owners' own guidelines that control what they will or will not publish.

Lol ok I can go with it...

Although now curious with political correctness on table...

is the guy who is tated like a lizard and the man decked like a cat... Are the Homo sepia sepia mammalian? :p

Yes..
Regardless what costume one wears...or tats....if your a human. Ie a homo sepian sepian....you are by definition a mamalian...

I can see where they stand. Suspect means have not been proven in the court of law yet. What if that person is actually innocent and destroying their name a good idea? :hmm: I would only support once a suspect becomes convicted by either plea guilty or a verdict from Jurors.

I can see where they stand. Suspect means have not been proven in the court of law yet. What if that person is actually innocent and destroying their name a good idea? :hmm: I would only support once a suspect becomes convicted by either plea guilty or a verdict from Jurors.

So no one who is arrested should be id. Until proven guilty..

Which can be years after the actual arrest..

Depending on the crime and how good the laywer is

Back