Obama Passes Mass Shooting Bill: Media No Longer Allowed To Name Mass Shooting Suspec

So no one who is arrested should be id. Until proven guilty..

Which can be years after the actual arrest..

Depending on the crime and how good the laywer is

This is about publishing name of suspect(s), its job of cop to ID suspect and keep it confidential until proven guilty in court of law.

This is not going to keep the suspect name off the internet , people will still be able to post . It call posted on Facebook etc ,

This is about publishing name of suspect(s), its job of cop to ID suspect and keep it confidential until proven guilty in court of law.

Those arrested for what ever crimes, always have their names published..even mug shots....in qll sorts of publocations, mwjor media so on..
This doesnt happen only after the individual is convicted or pleads.

Even in canada.

Names of persons arrested generally are published....usually with a tag line. "Charges have yet to be proven in the court od law" or some such..
But the name of rhe person, the alleged crime,and charges are published

I love the idea of this bill but the fact that so many elected politicians can vote for a law that clearly violates the first amendment if freedom of speech and the press is really scary. Our constitution is not something you follow only if you agree with it. Exactly same thing aspired in the Kim Davis case....
Supreme court will overturn it.

I love the idea of this bill but the fact that so many elected politicians can vote for a law that clearly violates the first amendment if freedom of speech and the press is really scary. Our constitution is not something you follow only if you agree with it. Exactly same thing aspired in the Kim Davis case....
Supreme court will overturn it.

US Supreme Court is based on 9 judge's opinion.

I can see where they stand. Suspect means have not been proven in the court of law yet. What if that person is actually innocent and destroying their name a good idea? :hmm: I would only support once a suspect becomes convicted by either plea guilty or a verdict from Jurors.
That's what they do in Germany. Here, we have freedom of the press.

Correct. If this law stands it will open the floodgates to internet sensors and personal freedoms enjoyed by Americans.

There are already some in place... This just seems a more direct hit then ones in past...
I do worry where this will lead...

I don't believe it's the cop's job to keep a name confidential until proven guilty. FOI makes that impossible.

They might keep a name confidential while the investigation is ongoing but once the formal charges are made it's a matter of public record.

Wanted to clarify, I am >NEITHER< for, nor against on this topic. All I am saying is I can see where THEY (That does not mean myself) stand and why they brought up this bill. Simple as is.

I checked the original link you posted. It is a fake news website.

Oops! I just posted before I read this post. :lol:

I knew something was wrong about the wording. Presidents don't pass bills.

Interesting... Hmm... Really that is good... It just shows NBC news from my phone... That is good... Finally have stopped for day and went looking at other sources and you are correct...

Right, they don't pass bills. That's what the Congress is for. I looked at the website and I knew something wasn't right. I looked at the NBC logo, but it ain't a peacock logo. That's what led me to look at the name of the website. Ah, a fake news website.

That caught me to... But figured it was a miss type or something... Ah well... Have to be more careful these days... Seems a lot of people are making these fake news things... Never came across one for a news site though...
Live and learn

Back