NYPD Cop in Chokehold Death Loses Gun, Badge

Maybe. I've heard that these things don't stop heavier people, but then again, I :dunno: if that's actually true.

it can stop a heavier person but it cannot stop a person high on drug.

Ok theres alot of people here who are speaking half truths and opinions, most of which are uneducated. I feel the need to weigh in on this one.

First things first.

Stop and Frisk is bullshit. No officer should be allowed to stop and frisk a person for no reason unless they are entering or exiting a secured area or a cop has a reasonable suspision to belive they are in the act of commiting a crime.

Second. Can any of you who are spouting off about this identify the type of hold that is being attempted on that man and tell me how it works?

The "choke" being attempted is called a rear naked choke. It works by restricting blood supply to the brain causing an over oxigination of the blood surrounding the brain. Loss of conciousness is quickly achieved when this manuver is done properly. The thing to note, is that THIS CHOKE DOES NOT RESTRICT THE WINDPIPE. When properly executed, the attackers elbow should be in line with the victims adams apple and the forearm and bicep muscles are used to restrict the two major blood pathways into the cranium. This is the safest choke i know. It presents the least amount of risk to the subjects neck muscles and windpipe, and little risk of lasting damage.

Thirdly. Based on the pictures I see, I couldn't get the video to load properly. The choke is being done improperly. I don't know if the officer ever got the oppertunity to sink the choke in, but it does look like the hold is being applied off center of the line of the adams apple, which could restrict the mans ability to breathe. That being said, theres still little to no reason ( unless the victim had a pre-existing condition) that this chokehold could have caused permenant damage.

Fourth. The man weighed 270 lbs and resisted arrest. This presents a large amount of risk to the officers present and a very large amount of risk to other people in the area. A runner or someone trying to fight the cops puts the cops in a position they do not want to be in. I know its probably hard for alot of you to understand, but its life or death for those cops... every day.

Fifth. Did anyone notice that the man DIED OF A HEART ATTACK!!!!! If you couldn't identify the type of choke being used then you probably wont know this, but its impossible to cause a healthy person to die of a heart attack from a choke hold. The man was fat. He was out of shape. He had a heart problem. He got into a fight. He lost.

Sixth. Tazers suck and only work half the time. Also, they would be firing in an area that looked to be fairly heavily congested with people. The risk of hitting an innocent bystander looked to be high. How much different would the story be if the cop accidentaly zapped an innocent college student walking down the street. I did the military version of less-lethal training in 2006 and did a re-certification every 2 years. I've done the 30 second ride while standing. A large man could handle it and continue to attack. Pepper spray would have introduced a large cloud/stream of concentrated Oleoresin of Capsaisum into a public area. The risk of both the tazer and the OC spray to bystanders was significant ly higher than it needed to be, so the cops acted in such a manner as to take this guy down with minimal risk to bystandars and other public.

Before you are all so quick to villianize the cops, how about you educate yourselves first.

you still haven't answered my question before.

what were officers supposed to do to a person like him refusing to comply and resisting arrest?
Ticket, for example you don't have a license to sell hot dogs, you will get a ticket. Same thing.

Ticket, for example you don't have a license to sell hot dogs, you will get a ticket. Same thing.

he wasn't selling hot dogs... and no it's not the same thing.

are you telling me that selling drugs are same thing too?

Here's something to consider, and I'll let you decide.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfqAvfZPWgM]Staten Island man dies after NYPD cop puts him in chokehold - YouTube[/ame]

he wasn't selling hot dogs... and no it's not the same thing.

are you telling me that selling drugs are same thing too?
Lets talk about this incident. Stop talking about the past. The cops came to him for selling loosies. It's not drugs. Oh boy...

Eric Garner, a New York man allegedly selling illegal “loosies” – single cigarettes – outside a Staten Island store, died Thursday after police used an unauthorized street fighting move known as a “chokehold” to subdue the 350-pound man.

Lets talk about this incident. Stop talking about the past. The cops came to him for selling loosies. It's not drugs. Oh boy...

selling loosies is illegal. and he was a repeated offender. plus.... he was selling loosies to minors.

remember not ALL nypd are bad. could it be a jerk cop or dont know how to chokehold or anything. SOME of the NYPD are good. Please keep that in mind.

I dont see cops emotions being out of control in video. All I see is cops being professional trying to gain control of an emotional /disraught man that was obviously resisting or complying by aruging before it escalated into something worse.

The cop let go as soon he was in control by his partners.

If the method he used is in question, I would say safety first over anything else.

Does not matter what the reason is, over loosies or murder or traffic ticket. Always cooperate with the investigation. Ive cooperated many times with tickets or asking me if I knew where a specific person was even 3x over the years when I was wrongly targeted by being with wrong crowd in the city but theyre cool once finding out I have no relation to the issue they are looking at and let me go. Cops are just doing their jobs.

Last edited:
Why not use a net trap instead of chokehold? Unless if he had a weapon on his hand that is different story. I think net trap much safer than deadly taser. I believe chokehold is too dangerous, that might kill u.

Why not use a net trap instead of chokehold?
what's a net trap?

Unless if he had a weapon on his hand that is different story.
officers always assume every subject is armed and they won't know for sure until they arrest him and pat him down.

I think net trap much safer than deadly taser. I believe chokehold is too dangerous, that might kill u.
the use of chokehold has been banned for a long time.

NYPD Cop's Chokehold May Not Have Caused Serious Injury to Man's Throat - ABC News
A man who died after a New York City police officer took him to the ground in a chokehold appeared to have little damage to his neck and trachea, according to preliminary autopsy results, a law enforcement source said, but that may not be enough to keep him from being disciplined or even facing criminal charges.

4 EMS workers barred from duty after chokehold death | New York Post
Four emergency-service workers who found a man unconscious on the sidewalk after a cop put him in a chokehold — and apparently did nothing to aid him — have been barred from going on any more ambulance calls pending a probe, officials said Sunday.

A seven-minute video captured the last few minutes of diabetic dad Eric Garner’s life — and the apparent procedural lapses by two medics and two EMTs, sources told The Post.

“It was pretty obvious this patient was in distress,” a source said. “His body was limp and lifeless.”

Yet none of the workers — nor the eight cops on hand — can be seen in the video administering any aid to Garner. One medic at Garner’s side doesn’t even have any of the required equipment on her, such as an oxygen bag or a defibrillator, the source said.

“You can [only] hear her say, ‘Oh, he can’t walk to the bus?’ ” the source said.

Garner should have been immediately placed on a stretcher, and his airway, breathing and circulation checked, sources said. Instead, EMT Nicole Palmeri can be seen only checking for a pulse. She never uses a stethoscope to check his lungs for air movement, a source said, nor does she connect him to an oxygen mask.

“Maybe the EMT felt a pulse, but it was obvious this male was in serious distress and needed to be assisted with his breathing,” the source said.

Garner died of cardiac arrest en route to the hospital.

Palmeri and the other emergency workers are employed by Richmond University Hospital on Staten Island, but dispatched by the FDNY, which issued the restriction.

Palmeri did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Garner — who was 6-foot-5, about 350 pounds and suffered from asthma — was suspected of illegally peddling cigarettes when cops approached him at around 5 p.m. Thursday.
Undercover Officer Daniel Pantaleo was caught on video putting him in a chokehold — a violation of NYPD procedure.

Pantaleo has been named in two civil-rights lawsuits, one of which was settled by the city for $30,000, the Staten Island Advance reported Sunday. Pantaleo and three other officers unlawfully stopped a vehicle and strip-searched two men.

Pantaleo, who has been stripped of his badge and weapon, did not return requests for comment.

State NAACP President Hazel Dukes said, “Communities of color are sick and tired of this familiar story. Mr. Garner is one of too many New Yorkers who have unjustly had their lives cut short by police officers.’’

Harlem is just nothing to me. I have walked there before.

I have not been there yet. My co worker went there and bought many clothes that makes me curious about there. She said that the place has been improving ..

Oh, yeah I forgot about EMS. At the end of the video, I watched them doing nothing. That got me thinking "isn't it their job to save lives?". Well, they got fired after that.

Hey Jiro, please read this at least five times.

Undercover Officer Daniel Pantaleo was caught on video putting him in a chokehold — a violation of NYPD procedure.

So can you tell me why it's a violation?

selling loosies is illegal. and he was a repeated offender. plus.... he was selling loosies to minors.

I don't see anywhere that he was selling loosies to minors ???....even that isn't a major crime...not bad enuf for a choke hold....all those Cops around him...actually harassing him for something like this?.....And look at the results!....no one came to his aid!

I have not been there yet. My co worker went there and bought many clothes that makes me curious about there. She said that the place has been improving ..

Bingo!! There you go. Harlem has been improved. Cleaning up Bushwick is in works.

Back