NY passes 1st US gun control bill since massacre

I guess they are anti-constitution, too........at the very least, clueless.

The constitution can be change via constitutional amendments with two methods. Most common method is... pass the constitutional amendment with 2/3 in the house and the senate, so 3/4 (38 out of 50) states have to approve.
U.S. constitutional amendment process - OpenCongress Wiki

It is very hard to change the constitution but not impossible.

We had 18th Amendment and many people didn't agree with those constitution, so I won't call them as anti-constitution. Today, 18th Amendment is already repealed with 21st Amendment. I won't call gun control supporters as anti-constitution if they don't interfere with government and we have US Supreme Court to resolve the dispute, such as rule as constitutional or unconstitutional.

We know about landmark ruling - 2008 and 2010 to struck the city ban on guns down. The government, such as local, state or federal cannot pass the bill to ban on guns as part of gun control legislation. We have to wait for more ruling from US Supreme Court that give a clear guidelines about whichever portions of gun regulation as constitutional or unconstitutional - it will take about few decades for us to know about guidelines.

I have sad story for you - the government isn't perfect nor is error-free. They don't have common sense, so for gun regulation, the President Obama stuck with old idea about gun control laws that came from 1970's. We have many researches say that many of gun control laws are ineffective today, but it wasn't clear or unsure in 1970's.

The constitution can be change via constitutional amendments with two methods. Most common method is... pass the constitutional amendment with 2/3 in the house and the senate, so 3/4 (38 out of 50) states have to approve.

We had 18th Amendment and many people didn't agree with those constitution, so I won't call them as anti-constitution. Today, 18th Amendment is already repealed with 21st Amendment. I won't call gun control supporters as anti-constitution if they don't interfere with government and we have US Supreme Court to resolve the dispute, such as rule as constitutional or unconstitutional.

We know about landmark ruling - 2008 and 2010 to struck the city ban on guns down. The government, such as local, state or federal cannot pass the bill to ban on guns as part of gun control legislation. We have to wait for more ruling from US Supreme Court that give a clear guidelines about whichever portions of gun regulation as constitutional or unconstitutional - it will take about few decades for us to know about guidelines.

I have sad story for you - the government isn't perfect nor is error-free. They don't have common sense, so for gun regulation, the President Obama stuck with old idea about gun control laws that came from 1970's. We have many researches say that many of gun control laws are ineffective today, but it wasn't clear or unsure in 1970's.

Wow, I had no idea.

thank you for a civic lesson.

BTW, today is Gun Appreciation Day. A great day to celebrate our constitutional rights!

:)

Tyranny makes quick decision and made mistakes, now that NY government voted and passed in no time with major overlook! Meaning they are not doing the job as they are supposed, it represents that they are not carefully weight the necessity of breaking 2nd Amendment. Proves that they are acting like Tyrannies! TSK TSK TSK

Texas Attorney General to New Yorkers: Come on Down, With Guns
AUSTIN, Tex. — Attention New Yorkers: Texas wants you. And your guns.

Last week, the day after Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York approved a broad package of gun-control measures that made New York’s tough gun laws even tougher, the Texas attorney general, Greg Abbott, began running Internet advertisements in Manhattan and Albany asking New York gun owners to consider moving to Texas.

The two ads — displayed on news sites and aimed at Web users with Manhattan and Albany ZIP codes — promote the state’s low taxes and gun culture, with one asking, “Is Gov. Cuomo looking to take your guns?” The other reads, “Wanted: Law abiding New York gun owners looking for lower taxes and greater opportunity.”

When clicked on, the ads lead users to a Facebook page where a letter from Mr. Abbott, the state’s chief law enforcement official, promotes Texas’s strong economy and lack of an income tax, allowing transplanted gun owners “to keep more of what you earn and use some of that extra money to buy more ammo.”

The ads are a rare burst of political theater from Mr. Abbott, a former State Supreme Court justice who has built a reputation as a gentlemanly yet fiercely conservative litigator eager to challenge the Obama administration, and who, in a speech last year, described his job this way: “I go to the office. I sue the federal government. And then I go home.”

Mr. Abbott has been laying the groundwork and raising millions of dollars for a possible run for governor in 2014, regardless of whether Gov. Rick Perry, his ally and fellow Republican, decides to seek re-election.

Mr. Abbott’s ads were paid for not by the attorney general’s office but by his political campaign, Texans for Greg Abbott. A campaign spokesman, Eric Bearse, said the ads began running on Wednesday and were “interest targeted” to those in Manhattan and Albany who visited several news sites, including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.

Mr. Bearse said the ads were created in response to New York’s new gun-control laws as well as the executive actions that President Obama announced the same day to curb gun violence. He declined to say how much they had cost Mr. Abbott, whose campaign account has grown to $18 million.

“It’s a somewhat unconventional method to weigh in on a very serious issue,” Mr. Bearse said. “It makes the point that Texans value freedom, and specifically their freedom to protect themselves. Our state has experienced the largest population growth in the country from places like California and New York because our culture does value freedom.”

The ads illustrate the extent to which the debate over guns and gun violence since the mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., has played out differently in Texas than it has in other parts of the country.

In Texas, guns and the right to carry them continue to be closely linked to the state’s self-image. Those licensed to carry a concealed weapon can do so in restaurants, shopping malls and even the Capitol building here in Austin.

Responding to Mr. Obama’s gun proposals, Mr. Perry said in a statement that he was disgusted to see the political left and the news media use the school shooting to advance a pre-existing agenda, and he suggested that prayers rather than laws were in order.

A day after the president unveiled his proposals, a different sort of gun debate unfolded here, after a Republican state senator from Granbury, Brian Birdwell, filed a bill to allow those with a concealed handgun license to carry their firearms on college campuses.

Mr. Abbott posted his ads on his Facebook page, creating an impromptu cross-state forum and occasional shouting match between New Yorkers and Texans on both sides of the issue. A woman from Jarrell, Tex., called the ads “another embarrassing example” of politicians in the state. Another woman in Texas complained of Yankees and their liberal attitudes, adding, “Stay up North we don’t want you in Texas.”

And one Republican New Yorker wrote that she was sick of Mr. Cuomo, ready to move to Texas and would greatly appreciate “any info, regarding employment, schools, and city to live in.”

New Yorkers moving to Texas might find that the two places have more in common than they expect: each is as much a state of mind as it is an actual state. The century had barely gotten started when Mr. Perry declared in his inaugural address in 2011 that historians would look back and call it “the Texas century.” New Yorkers are as New York-centric as Texans are Texas-centric.

And there is at least one place where newly arrived New Yorkers might feel strangely at home: New York, Tex., an unincorporated community amid the green acres of East Texas, about 1,500 miles from Times Square. It is made up of a handful of houses, a cemetery, a church and Reynolds New York Store.

Carolyn Reynolds, who runs the feed and fertilizer store, paused when asked for the population. She started counting under her breath. “Right now, I’d consider it 11,” she replied.

Still, Mr. Abbott said in a statement, because of the state’s low taxes and gun laws, “our New York is better than their New York.”

sounds like I should take up on his offer! :lol:

Great, just that its saying why it is worth owning gun if your are law abiding. The more law abiding gun owners around, the more outlaws will piss in their pants.

BTW, I can't sit in front of computer too long (Due to my injury) so didn't have chance check everything beforehand.

yea I posted a video a while ago in this thread - Post #119 but it's worth mentioning it again :thumb:

Great, just that its saying why it is worth owning gun if your are law abiding. The more law abiding gun owners around, the more outlaws will piss in their pants.

I don't believe "more guns" is the best approach. I'd prefer "more gun rights". I'm totally fine with less armed citizens and more gun rights. I'm also fine with more armed citizens as well but I'm all about quality > quantity.

What I mean is that when criminals recognize more guns around, they are less incline on attempt to commit crime. On other hand if there is less guns around, the criminals would think they have better chance of not getting shot, and busted as well.

I don't believe "more guns" is the best approach. I'd prefer "more gun rights". I'm totally fine with less armed citizens and more gun rights. I'm also fine with more armed citizens as well but I'm all about quality > quantity.

What I mean is that when criminals recognize more guns around, they are less incline on attempt to commit crime. On other hand if there is less guns around, the criminals would think they have better chance of not getting shot, and busted as well.

that's why more gun rights is better. being allowed to carry gun nearly anywhere and being protected by law to defend themselves. it will keep them guessing and second-guessing.

Yeah, I am not disagreeing with you at all.

that's why more gun rights is better. being allowed to carry gun nearly anywhere and being protected by law to defend themselves. it will keep them guessing and second-guessing.

Upset NY gun owners could move to Vermont (perfect for liberal gun owners) or PA, since Texas may be culture shock to them, except for rural residents with strong southern hospitality.

I think that NRA will sue NY to get many of gun control laws strike down based on constitution's ground, all way to US Supreme Court, so only left is background check, logbook for gun stores and the guideline for private sellers in effect.

I'm PA native, and I could move back to PA and up yours on NYS and thats my thinking. Yes, your right about PA and VT. No, not going to move back to same city where I was born and raised. Right now it is up in the air and depends on the outcome of my health and future job as well.

And yeah, NRA is going against NYS.

Upset NY gun owners could move to Vermont (perfect for liberal gun owners) or PA, since Texas may be culture shock to them, except for rural residents with strong southern hospitality.

I think that NRA will sue NY to get many of gun control laws strike down based on constitution's ground, all way to US Supreme Court, so only left is background check, logbook for gun stores and the guideline for private sellers in effect.

looks like you haven't been to Texas yet. Vermont would be more of a cultural shock to New Yorkers than Texas.

Back