NY Court: Parents Can Spank Their Kids

I would NEVER spank any kids I have. Nope. I'll make them do extra chores or something that DOESN'T involve use of physical force. Better that way.
What kind of chores would a 2-year-old do? How would a toddler make a connection between doing chores and the misbehavior that's being punished? What if the child refuses to do the chores?

It might train a child to view honest labor as a punishment.

Something to think about.

wow, we get spanking a lots when we were kids, with belt, stick and hand. one time mom slapping me so hard that my nose bleed. there was neighbor guy who hate kids (never have children of his own). if we step our feet on his lawn, i mean, come on, it's doesn't hurt. we don't always walk on it. we get a belt from dad. this was in the 60's, no more parents can't do that. now we got child abuse law, it's about time.

wow, we get spanking a lots when we were kids, with belt, stick and hand. one time mom slapping me so hard that my nose bleed. there was neighbor guy who hate kids (never have children of his own). if we step our feet on his lawn, i mean, come on, it's doesn't hurt. we don't always walk on it. we get a belt from dad. this was in the 60's, no more parents can't do that. now we got child abuse law, it's about time.

What you experienced was child abuse. However, a single slap on the butt is not child abuse.

I was abused...beat with a broom handle and buckle of belts....leather strap, etc., etc. I see nothing wrong with spanking a child with your hand...as for slapping a child, NO...If you have not taught your child right from wrong by the age of 8....feel that's too bad/too late....

Was at my ENT's office today. And a Black lady with 3 boys was there...the best behaved kids I've seen in a long time....3, 5 and 7....all had on belts!...dressed nicely and looked so clean....and all she had to do was to raise her finger if they became too loud or started to run around.... and they sit down very quietly.

I would NEVER spank any kids I have. Nope. I'll make them do extra chores or something that DOESN'T involve use of physical force. Better that way.

Different generation...I was spanked..and I think there needs to be a distinction between spanking and abuse. The courts interfere way too often in the lives of American families and the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

They tell us what our children will be taught in school without our input, they tell we can't pray in school, they change the "Pledge of Allegiance" so it's politically correct, they want to supply our children with birth control, they can't play cowboys and Indians anymore, or have a school boy crush, or send a Valentine's card without it making the news....now they want to tell us how we can or can't raise our children? I agree there's more effective ways to discipline, but no court, or politician, should have any authority over the American family.

Laura

My parents did spank me with their bare hands. We had talked about what did i do was wrong. I dont support the idea of seeing anyone used the belt to spank on kids. Belt can be dangerous.

Yes.... with an INSTRUMENT it IS abuse!

That's why the discipline needs to start early in their lives. Once they become pre-teen and teenagers it's almost too late.

It is depends - my sister and I were heavily disciplined when we were young but our behavior were extremely terrible when we were teen.

I was spanked... it is part of discipline. I don't condone using tools such as belt, or wooded spoon to be used as spanking. I had that when I was growing up and I hated it but it taught me to learn to respect the rules. I grew up in a discipline family and when I behave or doing good with chores, my parents give me allowances or reward but when I'm not, I get grounded.

Every parents have their own way of discipline their kids but I will not accept that they use the force such as the tools other than using their hand to spank on their kids.

A spank is fine one tap or two on the but is fine .not out of anger or frustration ..old times not with a paddle .

I can only remember being spanked once, because I had used a long string of profanities, I was 7 and I new better, but I did it anyway. When I was 5 I tried to place my hand on the heating element of our stove, my wrist was swatted (very lightly,just enough to get my attention) and I was simultaneously whisked away from the stove, then my family explained why my wrist was swatted. I never did either again. I have had friends who have been abused and are still trying to heal and forgive those who hurt them. Some people who have been abused, find different ways of communicating with their children and others may not. The law does define abuse in many ways, which allows child protective services step in when needed.

I got thrashing from my parents I felt no need do that with my kids descent disapplin should not be need for punishment but can't see what wrong with slap on hand

YOU dont have kids do you? I am willing to bet that once you have kids you WILL spank them.

If the kid becomes a punk or have issues, then there was other things happening instead of just open hand spanking. spanking is in the bible. If a kid is hit or whacked with other things , when parant is drunk then that is wrong. There is no fine line, but you know where the line is what not to cross. If a parant hits kids out of rage, use belt, while drunk etc. then the person is selfish son of bi$#.

Necroposting I suppose but- why is it okay to strike children? Why would anyone think it's cool to slap a child on the behind? It's...just not cool. You're hitting a minor who has no way to defend themselves. IMO, if you wouldn't do it to an adult that can defend themselves and has higher capacity to understand what went wrong, why would you do it to a child?

Studies have shown hitting children (yes, "spanking" is HITTING A CHILD) can only be negative. There are other, better, more efficient ways to discipline a child. Hitting is the lazy way.

When mine were young the happy clappy Christians were following some happy clappy child psychologist really famouse so famouse I forgot his name..he went on and on to belt kid with coat hanger instead of hand so kid would see hand as love..i believe he followed avidly by happy clappy in bible belt still
disaplin my kids never had to punish them.
my parents belted me it did me harm not good so I never do it to my children

The only time my mother ever spanked us was when we very, very young and were doing something dangerous like running into the street or letting go of her hand and running away in a busy parking lot. My mom said it only took one time for us to know not to do that ever again

Back