Nucleus 5 -- Experiences?

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm currently awaiting insurance approval for the Nucleus 5 external processor for my right ear. I'm curious to know if anyone has had experience with this processor and if so, what they have been like -- positive or negative.

If my question has already been asked, please refer me to a thread where this has been discussed. Thanks!

Hello Stranger, how on earth are you?

Although, I haven't got the upgrade yet but had a feel/look on at it, it's definely lighter than the freedom. It comes with the remote so it might be easier with your CT (of course with practice under your circumstances) they have 2 different sized rechargeable battery and one for normal batteries (it takes 2 instead of 3)

The recharger for the batteries are completely different to the freedom battery charger.

Would be WORTH IT if you can ask your Audi/centre if you can feel and get the idea of what's it's like and whether it's ideal for you.

Hi Charlotte!

Good to "hear" from you!

I had a chance to "see" the Nucleus 5 and know that it's deafblind friendly. I saw the remote and know that it's fully operational by a totally blind person. I also know that the external processor itself can be used by a blind person. I guess I wanted to know if there was anyone out there who was currently using the N5. I'm not on the Cochlear list at the moment and what information I do have about the N5 is limited to a brochure my audi gave me.

My audi told me the programming and internal workings were the same as the nucleus freedom just without the display on the outside to make it narrower and use the remote with it. There is one user here that was implanted less than a month ago and he will be getting the 5 with his activation which is very soon if it hasnt already happened. deaffy is his nick i think is how its spelled and he's from ohio.

Hello,

I will be getting my processor tomorrow and will be able to give you an idea what it is like on activation afterwards. The internal piece is hard to find under the scalp its very thin. I had my post of with surgeon on the 6th and had to ask him " did you actually put anything in there cause I can not find the damn thing" I will post back in this thread tomorrow after noon after activation. :)

Hello,

I will be getting my processor tomorrow and will be able to give you an idea what it is like on activation afterwards. The internal piece is hard to find under the scalp its very thin. I had my post of with surgeon on the 6th and had to ask him " did you actually put anything in there cause I can not find the damn thing" I will post back in this thread tomorrow after noon after activation. :)

Good luck to you sir. I hope your activation goes as well as mine.

I was activated today 8-10-10 with the nuke 5. I will say it has exceeded my expectations I am a newbie to the whole CI world so I dont know the pros and cons. but I will say this. I understood speech right out of the gate and its pretty clear. I also went to work to get a chance to hear my co-workers voices for the first time and I work in a very loud enviroment and the processor knocked out all that loud noice and I was able to listen to the peoples voices it was hard when I was in there untill i went into the office but it so far has been a great experience imma be sad to take it off tonight to go to bed. :(

Aha, another deaf robot being controlled by the hearing world. Those implants are actually an evil scheme to extract all deaf from the world. This is so hearing people will not need to pay that tax on their phone bills.
This smells llikeba conspiracy

Ahem, DDU, We weren't being controlled by the hearing world, We chose to have CI for our own personal reasons.

Once upon a time in the not too distance past the deaf comunity always said that they would never want to become hearing. It was something along the lines of not taking a "hearing" pill that would make you a hearing person. The CI is pretty close to being that "hearing" pill. Its just that deaf culture has done an about face on that old dogma.
Not putting CI down but have found the contrast in views a real difference when the reality is we can become hearing. I know people in the deaf community who jumped ship and went for the CI in their 50's and 60's and that is after always saying deaf is the only way.
I am not a militant deaf. Could probably do well with the CI since I was hearing once long ago. But too proud as a deaf person and too comfortable being deaf to go under the knife.

Sorry DDU... or shall i say doodoo... Youre opinions are moot since you do not know me or my personal lifestyle.. what does it matter to you.. do you wear glasses? or HA? or even underwear? what does me having a surgery have any effect on you? if you have nothing constructive to say keep it to yourself this thread was not something up for a debate. IT was meant for answers to a product on the market.. good grief some peoples children................

CI Implants and hering aids

Aha, another deaf robot being controlled by the hearing world. Those implants are actually an evil scheme to extract all deaf from the world. This is so hearing people will not need to pay that tax on their phone bills.
This smells llikeba conspiracy

How is that any different than one who is wearing hearing aids, if what you are saying is true than so are hearing aids, same with all other devices that help people see, walk, etc..

Back