NTID/RIT or Gallaudet?

losangeles875

Reaction score
I have been stressed on deciding which college to pick for this Fall 2015. I will be a transfer student from Massachusetts. I got accepted to both and I just can't decide which one fits me better. I hope you guys can help me. It will be much much appreciated!!

I went to a deaf school from preschool until middle school, and then I went to a public school. I stayed in the public school system for almost 7 years. I didn't have good experiences with an interpreter so I went to classes on my own. I didn't have any support in the school. I was always sad and lonely, but I was able to make friends though. I was mostly homeschooled during my high school years since the school didn't have any communication accommodations for me.

After graduating high school, I went to a community college with deaf program for a year and half as a liberal arts major. I then transferred to UMass for one semester. I didn't like both colleges for some reasons. I didn't experience college life.

One of my biggest goals is to get a social life in college- to make new friends.

I visited both schools and I liked both, really. I didn't really see a lot of deaf students at RIT when I visited. It seems like a quiet campus. I got accepted into a pre baccalaureate science program at NTID where I will need to take placement tests in English and Math to determine to see where level I will be on.

I haven't decided on a major yet, but I hope to study sciences or business. I heard that NTID system isn't good since they are giving their students a hard time to get Bachelor's degrees. I hope to get a Bachelor's. I think it will take me four years to graduate with my bachelor's at RIT if I go.

I got into Gallaudet as a undecided major. I am just scared that I wont fit in Gallaudet. I can sign but my asl skills aren't strong. I don't like being far away from home. I feel little uncomfortable in a strong deaf community but I love to meet new people so it is hard to say.

The things i like about NTID is that they offer co-op programs, better education, better dining options, bigger campus, apartments options, a nice area, but I dislike their weather though!! haha

The things i like about Gallaudet is, of course social life- parties there seem always so fun. DC is a fun city. A lot of deaf people there. I am worried that I wont get a job if I graduate from Gallaudet.

Help me to decide!!!

If you have any advices, it will be much appreciated! Thank you so much!!

Here is my general comment:

RIT/NTID is just like a "vocational school" for technical skills and blue collar workers. Maybe a very few white collars.

Gallaudet is just like an education school for white collar workers and government jobs.

I read somewhere on AD that some deaf students attended CSUN (California), and I think they were happy with their education. ...You are correct about NTID's system and weather.

Which one is most important to you? Social life or career. This is a tough decision.

This is not new to me. Many deaf students who attended together as friends, and they graduated... in a few years later, they have their own life and busy by dissolving to see their old college friends. That is part of life. I see that you were homeschooled that gap in your life. It is hard for me to say but in fact you are not alone. I believe that a homeschool is a very positive.

Off subject, you gotta to think about two goals together: a job somewhere or your own business (even backup career). Many corporations still discriminate hiring deaf people even it is illegal. It's odd that they hire illegal aliens mostly from Mexico because they simply can hear. For your own business, you need to start scratch so that you will build up your skill.

Let's say that you want to learn in a computer program, you have to know the program C or C++. That is where you grow from the scratch. For example, NTID students studied in COBAL and they were never taught in C++, and they lost their job because COBAL is expired permanently. That's the reality.

You have to research and find out what's out there. I heard that many schools for younger kids are starting to study in coding for the first time this year. The problem is that in 15 years later, there will be no opening jobs for a coding career due they "got" the job ahead of time. That's what you have to figure out from now to 10 years.

A couple of things...

1. COBOL is not expired permanently. It is still out there. I've been working on the mainframe environment for over 12-15 years (give or take...) and I still see a LOT of jobs out there related to COBOL. Most people coming up in IT are gravitating to the newer stuff.. iOS, cloud computing etc. Unfortunately you still cannot predict what will happen in 10 years. With IT you have to keep learning while you are working, keep up as new technology, programming languages and testing tools evolve. It changes year to year.

2. to the OP- do what you think is best. Gallaudet does have a business degree program (the last time I looked). I wouldn't worry too much about fitting in. Chances are you will probably fit in very well. You'll find your niche and in general most people are more than happy to help with anything including beefing up your ASL. Everyone here will definitely have differing opinions about Gallaudet and NTID (good and bad).

3. As far as 'worrying about getting a job after graduating from Gallaudet'... I would rephrase that to "worrying about a job after I graduate COLLEGE". I have a degree from Gallaudet. I was able to find a job with the degree I had. It may have taken me a year (more because of several other factors not the degree), but landed a job and kept it for 7 years or so until I changed careers. Still didn't have any issues finding work... or at least people 'marveling at my resume'.

RIT/NTID is just like a "vocational school" for technical skills and blue collar workers. Maybe a very few white collars.

Yes, NTID/RIT could be consider vocational to certain extent, but it is WHITE collar vocations, computers, technology, etc NOT blue collar.

Let's say that you want to learn in a computer program, you have to know the program C or C++. That is where you grow from the scratch. For example, NTID students studied in COBAL and they were never taught in C++, and they lost their job because COBAL is expired permanently. That's the reality.

That's pretty much the case at any college that teaches programming/computer science. By the time they develop curriculum to match the latest programming preference/fad/style the industry has moved on to other things.

Back