notes in class for HOH

nickysunflower

Reaction score
I was wondering at community college are you allowed to record your classes, or can somebody takes notes for you? Am I responsible for paying the note taker? I plan on going to school next year, and am concerned at how much I will be missing out on. I need to read up on the law I suppose. I want to make sure that I have what I need to succeed. Thanks for your help guys I appreciate any advise. :)

Are you near Gally? You know, if I were you I would just go to Gally... You'll get more then decent accomondations...far better then you could at a hearing community college. Most accomondations at random schools tend to really suck.

And what's the point of tape recording your classes? You still can't speechread to transcribe them.

Can you get in touch with the Student Services office? They should be able to tell you about what accommodations they can offer, be it a note-taker or a CART system or whatever.

You are not responsible for paying the note-taker; the school takes care of that.

I will look into Gally. That is a great idea. I was told by a friend she had a HOG classmate who recorded all the classes, and that is all the school would do for her. I was trying to figure that one out too. I will check with the schools, and see what my options are. Thank you guys for your help.

I had a note taker at a community college and I did not have to pay for it. I took my notes too and I found mines to more helpful. My note taker was not writing importance information . I had note taker as I thought I would miss what the teacher was saying when I writing. I had not been in school for 16 years and had no idea how I would do .

You sound like me. It has been 20having years since I have been in school. I am nervous, but am looking forward to it. Thank you very much.

I had a note taker at a community college and I did not have to pay for it. I took my notes too and I found mines to more helpful. My note taker was not writing importance information . I had note taker as I thought I would miss what the teacher was saying when I writing. I had not been in school for 16 years and had no idea how I would do .

Yes notetakers that are just class volunteers suck......it's better to go to Gally or a school with a strong dhh population so you get the good accomodnations.

I had my laptop and did voice recognition software with it, one profile for each teacher-

Before class I'd set it up and put it on their workstation/desk.

Every word recorded in typed form, no thought from me - I could still listen during the lecture w/o worrying about notes (hearie).

Last edited:
Deafdyke I am excited to get my info packet from Gally. I will have to commute, but that is ok. I am 38, and have two kids. It sure be great! I am having a hard time find people near me with hearing loss. It would be great to meet people who can relate to me, and understand about hearing loss.
FireTiger that is AWESOME! I didn't know there was such a thing. Is there a certain name you used, or all the programs pretty much the same? I really appreciate how helpful everybody here is. Sometimes I feel like nobody understands some of my frustrations, and I am alone in my hearing loss. Thanks all for being so patient, and helpful. Do any of you know of any Deaf events in Va. Coming up? I google it but never find anything.

It is whichever program will let you do multiple profiles . Otherwise it wont matter. Do get a good corded microphone.

Nicky are you near the School for the Deaf? Often they may know of Deaf events....and that is so cool that you might commute to Gally. I highly reccomend the experiance.....going from deaf to Deaf......

Yeah that would be really SWEET! I am about 2 1/2 hour south of Gally I think. I sent an email to Virginia Association for The Deaf, and look forward to hearing from from :) )

Back