Not so Puzzling: My Hearing School Days

deafbajagal

Reaction score
People who know me well know that once I start working on a puzzle, I must remain at task until it is completely put together. I cannot stand for the puzzle to be uncompleted and left to be done at a later time. I hate missing pieces.

One time there was a new puzzle that I had worked on for nearly 48 hours, nonstop. I barely ate. When it was nearly done, I realized that there were two pieces missing. I know it sounds silly and trivial, but this really irked me. I cannot stand unfinished puzzles. I searched relentlessly for the two missing pieces. Finally, I bought another one of the same puzzle just for the two pieces so my puzzle could finally be completed. I was exhausted, but I persisted. Of course, it bothered me that the second box had two missing pieces, but I threw the box away and convinced myself that it didn’t matter because it was never a project to begin with. This puzzle, the one I worked on, was the project at hand. And it was finally completed.

My life is a series of missing pieces. I remember vivid details about the houses we lived in, especially the one in Germany. I remember the smell and taste of Mom’s cooking. I can smell and feel the crisp October air that I felt against my skin while I played on the monkey bars. I remember the ice cream truck and our pets. I can still feel the texture of freshly cut grass against my tricycle wheels as I pedaled behind my big sisters. Yet, there are so many missing pieces. I thought, as I got older, the world would make more sense. High school didn’t prove to be any better. Jokes that were shared with laughter while I sat motionless, waiting for the delayed explanation of just what were so funny. Second-handed jokes were not funny, but I always laughed anyways. You learn to do things like that- laugh on demand. Smile when you feel clueless. And nod when you do not understand. Most important of all- avoid being put on the spot by acting shy. It’s very important to look as if you are part of the group. You must mainstream.

I remember my daydreams while I sat in the classroom, virtually clueless about what the voiceless teacher was saying. Speechreading from a distance is just as possible as striking gold from a Hot Springs spring well. Let’s not forget the pointless box they made me wear, telling me it made me hear things better. All it did was amplify the teacher’s cough and the squeaking chalk as she scrawled on the chalkboard. Does anyone ever realize how stupid it was to try to make a deaf person hear? It’s like trying to make tofu taste like the Boston Cream Cake.

Sitting in the cafeteria was probably the most lonesome experience in high school. It is such a paradox how I felt so alone while in midst of many people. After a while, it became too much to try to blend in like a lost sheep among goats. Daydreams followed me through the day, and met my dreams of the night. Somewhere in between, I became lost to reality. I was a deaf person, “mainstreamed” in a world of people who would never understand the glass box I lived in. I became “that deaf girl” in school.

What did you say? What is so funny? Why are you crying? Where is everyone going? What? Where? How? When? Why, why, why? Questions, questions, questions. Never answers except for the phrases: “I’ll tell you later” and “it’s not important.” Impartial memories, unsolved mysteries. I learned to hate sitting at the dinner table, where I felt like a part of the furniture. I hated sitting in church, staring at the pastor until his head became blurry like a smudge on the wall. I understood little; I pretended a lot. Watching TV without captions. Owning an unused TTY. I was a stranger in my own home, and worse, to my own life.

Books saved me. An open book allowed me to be part of a world without rejection, fear, and lonesomeness. I was a part of something. I understood what everyone was saying, and I never missed a single word.

One day I was sitting in class when the teacher gave us “free time.” I realized I left my book in my locker, so I asked her if I could go get it. She refused to let me because I should just be able to talk with other students or do my homework (which I had already done). I sat there, watching my peers chatted freely. Of course, the desks were in parallel lines, making it nearly impossible to speechread anyone. I was never comfortable in my own skin when I had to speak in a foreign tongue…in a language I’ve never heard in my life but was supposed to be fluent in it nonetheless. I sat there, fuming. The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. Then I realized…today was Friday. I had sat through the whole week without a single soul speaking to me, nor I to them. Communicating was just too much work. Kids were nice to me, always smiling at me with occasional waves. But on that week, no one spoke to me. Not a single soul.

How was it okay that I managed to go a full week without talking to anyone? I arose from my desk, feeling but ignoring the puzzling look from my teacher. I walked out of the classroom. I grabbed the book I wanted to read from my locker and threw it away. And I walked out of the building of the “hearing school.”

I made a point not to have any more missing puzzle pieces from my life story. From that point forward, I wanted to be my own character in my book rather than being a reader of my life.

(As posted in my Facebook Notes)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have something like an OCD when you had to buy a second puzzle in order to complete the first one..... but then I don't understand why would you threw away the book you haven't finished.

Unlike you, I went to a deaf school but the elementary school was an oral school. I found it silly for the deaf kids to speak and not to sign at all. It is like talking to hearing kids without using your voice all the time. It is not at all helpful for the kids to communicate this way.

That.....was beautifully written. It was amazing. The experience sounds terrible, but you put it so eloquently.....

Bravo on your writing, and being able to rise above your experiences.

Thanks for the beautiful essay, deafbajagal. You described my emotions perfectly, even if you left out the nightmares while sleeping. Thanks for posting it. :hug:

Sounds like you have something like an OCD when you had to buy a second puzzle in order to complete the first one..... but then I don't understand why would you threw away the book you haven't finished.

Unlike you, I went to a deaf school but the elementary school was an oral school. I found it silly for the deaf kids to speak and not to sign at all. It is like talking to hearing kids without using your voice all the time. It is not at all helpful for the kids to communicate this way.

There you go. You answered your own question. Different experiences. Hers was one of confusion and alienation. Yours was not.

Beautifully written. It should be published and given to hearing parents of deaf children especially deaf babies. It allows the readers to feel and understand what it is like to be in the shoes of a mainstreamed deaf person without feeling like opinions are being pushed on them. It could be a great way for them to see and understand the Deaf perspective.

Excellent post. It reminds me of my days in mainstream. My teachers were never voiceless as I could hear them via the phonic ear but listening to them was like listening to the adults on any of the Peanuts cartoons.

I took up reading for both pleasure and to catch up on what I missed in class. I would never put my deaf kids thru mainstream. Especially when I had no note takers or terps to provide support.

I tend to be like that with hearing people especially in a group. Trying to talk to them is a lot of effort.

So very eloquent! I would like to ask your permission to use it in my parent's group for adjustment to disability. I will give you full credit, or make it anonymous, whichever you prefer. I believe that your words communicate something in a way that will touch them. I know it certainly touched me.

When I was a child, I was completely powerless and isolated without a "voice" (I don't mean voice as in speaking, but as in a way to communicate) - so sometimes micromanaging small things helped me feel like I was in control of something...even something simple as completing a puzzle. That is something I will always carry with me- the need to understand and to be understood. The puzzle in itself is a metaphor as well. I read the book to be in a world where I could be part of something. When I threw it away, I was empowering myself to finally be part of the real world, not just the rich imaginary world in books. Hopefully that clarifies it a bit for you. lol

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. And yes, Jillo, you may - if you'd like, you can use my actual name with your group. ;)

When I was a child, I was completely powerless and isolated without a "voice" (I don't mean voice as in speaking, but as in a way to communicate) - so sometimes micromanaging small things helped me feel like I was in control of something...even something simple as completing a puzzle. That is something I will always carry with me- the need to understand and to be understood. The puzzle in itself is a metaphor as well. I read the book to be in a world where I could be part of something. When I threw it away, I was empowering myself to finally be part of the real world, not just the rich imaginary world in books. Hopefully that clarifies it a bit for you. lol

Got it now. I guess I was thinking about myself. I would never throw away a book that I was reading. Yes, I guess I was using books to escape the world I am in. No, I need books to survive.

There you go. You answered your own question. Different experiences. Hers was one of confusion and alienation. Yours was not.

I am sure many of deaf people are feeling alienation since 90% of the deaf babies are born to hearing parents. I feel that at home. At school, it is more of anger than confusion, especially when I could see that they are dumbing us down with school books that are for younger students.

Got it now. I guess I was thinking about myself. I would never throw away a book that I was reading. Yes, I guess I was using books to escape the world I am in. No, I need books to survive.

Same here, books helped me survive childhood. Can't live without them.

I am sure many of deaf people are feeling alienation since 90% of the deaf babies are born to hearing parents. I feel that at home. At school, it is more of anger than confusion, especially when I could see that they are dumbing us down with school books that are for younger students.

On the other hand, you were lucky as hell that you got to be educated with other deaf kids. ...and yes, some oral schools and programs are really dumbed down. It's not just signing deaf programs that are dumbed down!

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. And yes, Jillo, you may - if you'd like, you can use my actual name with your group. ;)

Thank you so very much!:ty: I am sure that you will rest easy knowing that your words have had an impact on a hearing parent of a deaf child.

Wow, I'm glad I took the time to read your note. I was just ready to pack up and go home and thought I would look at just one more thread... Way too many emotions inside of me to even respond right now. I'm going to sleep on what you said and come back to it tomorrow.

That was good!

Sometimes I wonder what it would have happened if I had just simply gotten up out of class and walked out of school? I remember being so bullied, picked on, and lonely that I begged my parents to transfer me to another school. Maybe if I had just walked out that it would have sent the message through loud and clear that I would rather not go to school at all than to have to go to that school.

I remember by grade 9 I was seriously considering just dropping out because things had gotten so bad.

I'm sorry you endured that. What pisses me off is that kids are still going through what we did.

Back