Not allowed in The Army!

J

Reaction score
How bad does that suck?! I wanted to be in army, when I'm old enough, but oh no. Because of my deafness I'm not allowed.
It really annoys me, I mean, GRR!!

I knew that there might be a doubt, about be allowed in, because of my deafness. But, it still annoys me.

I hate it, the way deafness, restricts our choice of jobs.

You can work for the U.S. Army in the civilian sector on the base.

I hear you girl and I agree with you.....It's stinks big time.....

-wrinkles nose-

If ever going to fight, would do it for own country. So, it would have to be england. :|

If a serious U.S. Homeland Security situation delevoped overnight then for sure, I am fighting. No two questions about it. That is one of the reasons why I made a self defense website for Deaf people. I will do my American Duty wheter I am Deaf or not Deaf.

Ooh, mind if you tell us the link? To your self defence website.

I know that feeling. I have alawys wanted to join in the Marine and then to the police force. I can't. It's just made me pissed off!

I have always wanted to be the captain or Lt in the police department. I guess my dream is not going to happen to me.

I can recall vividly back to the days I was a teenager and during a possible draft being drawn up at the time...(Vietnam War), I had wondered if I would eventually be drafted, yet, finding out that one of the main reasons why Deaf/Hoh can't serve (combat duties) is the fact that we could jeopardize a fellow soldier's life if we weren't able to hear such a sound that would be considered a warning and life-saving counter-measure against the enemy, thus hindering our abilities to fully serve during combat duties. With that notation, I much rather be able to find some other means that would enable me to be benefical elsewhere that won't jeopardize the lives of my fellow soldiers/buddies due to my lack of hearing well. ;)

:gpost: @ Roadrunner, That is so true. Also cannot determine which direction incoming fire is coming from, because cannot hear the soldiers calling out order where the fire is shot at, what locate.

What about deaf people's role in the military as working in boot camp as a drill instructer? Of course they would have to be able to speak, so they can yell out orders. Just giving an idea. ;)

Roadrunner said:
I can recall vividly back to the days I was a teenager and during a possible draft being drawn up at the time...(Vietnam War), I had wondered if I would eventually be drafted, yet, finding out that one of the main reasons why Deaf/Hoh can't serve (combat duties) is the fact that we could jeopardize a fellow soldier's life if we weren't able to hear such a sound that would be considered a warning and life-saving counter-measure against the enemy, thus hindering our abilities to fully serve during combat duties. With that notation, I much rather be able to find some other means that would enable me to be benefical elsewhere that won't jeopardize the lives of my fellow soldiers/buddies due to my lack of hearing well. ;)

Hey, RR, how's about we deafies just be top-notch scarecrows, then? :thumb:

Cheri said:
:gpost: @ Roadrunner, That is so true. Also cannot determine which direction incoming fire is coming from, because cannot hear the soldiers calling out order where the fire is shot at, what locate.

What about deaf people's role in the military as working in boot camp as a drill instructer? Of course they would have to be able to speak, so they can yell out orders. Just giving an idea. ;)

Or we could just pull KP duty, Cheri. :rofl:

Aside from the military or police, there's no other de jure limits on deaf achievement that I know of, but there are a few de facto ones that stem from communication issues. I don't think much can be done about the de jure limitations, but we can all definately work on transcending the de facto ones. More deaf doctors, more deaf lawyers, more visible deaf politicians? In a few years, it just may happen.

I got an email from Army few months ago for recruitment. I replied back to the recruit that I am Deaf, of course, he never replied back ever since. LOL :giggle:

I don't need to join military, and I did work at US Air Force Reserves in some offices for 4 summers. There are always other choices in the military that you can work for.

Teresh said:
Aside from the military or police, there's no other de jure limits on deaf achievement that I know of, but there are a few de facto ones that stem from communication issues. I don't think much can be done about the de jure limitations, but we can all definately work on transcending the de facto ones. More deaf doctors, more deaf lawyers, more visible deaf politicians? In a few years, it just may happen.

One of the keys to overcoming these matter-of-fact limitations is technology. I've seen (and made) lots of amazing devices that really boggle the mind.

Additionally, in the instance of de jure limitations, there are unfortunately a lot of other issues in which the law does not offer protection to deaf people. For example, any job you apply for that formally requires "hearing" is not protected by the ADA (correct me if I'm wrong).

If Deaf Dan applies to be a telemarketer and is turned down, my understanding is that Deaf Dan really doesn't have a claim with the ADA. If Deaf Dan applies for a welding position and is turned down, he may have something there.

Endymion said:
If Deaf Dan applies to be a telemarketer and is turned down, my understanding is that Deaf Dan really doesn't have a claim with the ADA.

Depends. He might have a claim if more telemarketing firms had a TTY or video phone department. ;) And I know I just opened a can of worms with that statement if any telemarketing firms happen to read it.

talk about discrimination.

In the middle east, they let kids from age 8 to 12 use guns in the wars.

Steel X said:
talk about discrimination.

In the middle east, they let kids from age 8 to 12 use guns in the wars.

Actually there is a good reason, because almost all of the adult males are dead.

They got basically kids and young teenage boys fighting and the ladies have to keep giving birth to many more babies for survival so that the boys grow up to protect the family etc.

That is a sad situation but it is necessary for them to do that.

Back