North Korea Hacking

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
U.S. Asks China to Help Rein In Korean Hackers
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has sought China’s help in recent days in blocking North Korea’s ability to launch cyberattacks, the first steps toward the “proportional response” President Obama vowed to make the North pay for the assault on Sony Pictures — and as part of a campaign to issue a broader warning against future hacking, according to senior administration officials.

“What we are looking for is a blocking action, something that would cripple their efforts to carry out attacks,” one official said.

So far, the Chinese have not responded. Their cooperation would be critical, since virtually all of North Korea’s telecommunications run through Chinese-operated networks.

It is unclear that China would choose to help, given tensions over computer security between Washington and Beijing since the Justice Department in May indicted five hackers working for the Chinese military on charges of stealing sensitive information from American companies.

The attacks on Sony appear to have been routed through China and then conducted through servers in Singapore, Thailand and Bolivia. Each of the countries, officials said, had been contacted in an effort to cut off access for the hackers.

But the key is China. United States officials said that American efforts to block North Korea’s access to the Internet, which is available only to the military and the elite, would necessarily impinge on Chinese sovereignty. But they also saw in the confrontation a chance to work with the Chinese on a subject the two countries have been warily discussing for several years: Establishing “rules of the road” for acceptable behavior in cyberspace.

Any financial sanctions also are tricky. The North is under perhaps the heaviest sanctions on earth. Yet the one sanction in the past decade that caused the most pain to the North Korean leadership was the freezing of its accounts at a small bank in Macau, which held the money the North Korean leadership uses to buy luxury goods — and serves as an escape route if officials need to leave the country.

Even if Mr. Obama was ready to respond with a cyberattack, it would not be instantaneous.

“One of the things people often overlook is the complexity and time it takes to launch an attack,” said Oren Falkowitz, a former analyst at the National Security Agency who now runs Area 1, a security company based in Menlo Park, Calif. “Most attacks take hundreds of days, if not years, to plan. People often want to move quickly, but they forget a lot of legwork must be done.”

In the past, other countries have resorted to basic distributed denial-of-service attacks, in which hackers flood a target’s systems with Internet traffic until they collapse under the load. But unlike systems in the United States, very little of North Korea’s network infrastructure is connected to the global Internet. The result, Mr. Falkowitz says, is that a similar denial-of-service attack on the North would amount to “ankle biting.”

interesting. never knew that NK's telecommunication goes thru China. no wonder the government found that the point of attack originated in Taiwan (I think?).

"me so pretty"

1476051_10103019379995141_324161077463529257_n.jpg

With Internet still spotty, how might North Korea respond?
(CNN) -- North Koreans can surf the Internet once again. But the ride isn't smooth -- at least for the few in the reclusive Asian nation who could ever really go online.

After 24 hours of "increasing instability," the Internet in North Korea went down for 9 hours, 31 minutes before returning around midday Monday, according to Dyn Research, a company that monitors Internet performance.

But even after it came back up, it wasn't exactly humming. Noting sporadic "unstable networks," Dyn tweeted Tuesday that "North Korea continues its struggles to stay online."

North Korea lambasts U.S. over 'The Interview,' says Obama is the 'culprit'
(CNN) -- The North Korean government is fuming over the release of the "The Interview," claiming President Barack Obama forced the film into theaters and onto streaming video services.

"U.S. President Obama is the chief culprit who forced the Sony Pictures Entertainment to 'indiscriminately distribute' the movie and took the lead in appeasing and blackmailing cinema houses and theatres in the U.S. mainland to distribute the movie," North Korea's National Defence Commission said Saturday, according to state-run media.

In the screwball comedy, a tabloid journalist who is granted an interview with North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un is asked to assassinate him. But when he arrives, the movie version of the dictator charms him. Later on, however, the two wage battle.

you know what we say to North Korea?

anteater.jpg

There's actually little evidence that it was North Korea. The malware used (I think that's what they said) was itself hacked and the instructions for its use were available to anyone. Anyone could have used IP spoofing to have their IP show up as a North Korean one. There was one more reason the FBI said it was North Korea but it was a weak reason as the two I've described are. There's absolutely no definite link to North Korea.

Going by the embarrassment of released emails, I would say it's an insider. They say it's someone called "Lena" who uses that name online. I can't imagine that North Korea would have someone who understands the implications of revealing those emails. Sure, showing salaries and social security addresses, but not the emails.

There's actually little evidence that it was North Korea. The malware used (I think that's what they said) was itself hacked and the instructions for its use were available to anyone. Anyone could have used IP spoofing to have their IP show up as a North Korean one. There was one more reason the FBI said it was North Korea but it was a weak reason as the two I've described are. There's absolutely no definite link to North Korea.

Going by the embarrassment of released emails, I would say it's an insider. They say it's someone called "Lena" who uses that name online. I can't imagine that North Korea would have someone who understands the implications of revealing those emails. Sure, showing salaries and social security addresses, but not the emails.

little evidence? no. you're just not getting any evidence that points it to North Korea. just because you're not seeing any evidence from government does not mean there's a lack of evidence.

so basically.... you have no evidence to dispute the government's statement. because of lack of evidence, you now have handful of conspiracy theories, questions, and rumors.

according to http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...tion=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article, they're saying it's Russian.... a disgruntled insider... some sophsticated hacker group... etc... It's an old media tricks... spurs the rumors and keep the bonfire flaming hot enough to pressure the government into revealing more information.

little evidence? no. you're just not getting any evidence that points it to North Korea. just because you're not seeing any evidence from government does not mean there's a lack of evidence.

so basically.... you have no evidence to dispute the government's statement. because of lack of evidence, you now have handful of conspiracy theories, questions, and rumors.

according to http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...tion=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article, they're saying it's Russian.... a disgruntled insider... some sophsticated hacker group... etc... It's an old media tricks... spurs the rumors and keep the bonfire flaming hot enough to pressure the government into revealing more information.
The link you posted in #5 (the one I reposted in the new thread) shows the closed captioned video in that many cybersecurity companies don't think NK is behind the Sony hack. Hey, our government is not always right just like you are not always right. :lol:

This is why i want a full scale war! Its an act of war. Suppose we hacked Russias computers what you think Putin will do next.

what makes you think we haven't hacked Russians?

here's a copy of
Cncra-win-cover.jpg

now be a good boy and shush.

The link you posted in #5 (the one I reposted in the new thread) shows the closed captioned video in that many cybersecurity companies don't think NK is behind the Sony hack. Hey, our government is not always right just like you are not always right. :lol:

did you even understand my post?

I don't really care what cybersecurity companies say. It's meaningless. It's of no value to me or anyone. It's really foolish to believe them at face value since they have absolutely no proof at all. no evidence at all. no investigation at all. All they did is speculate. They have never done any investigation. They're just frustrated that the government isn't providing them any information since it's classified.

Did you miss this?

It's an old media tricks... spurs the rumors and keep the bonfire flaming hot enough to pressure the government into revealing more information.

did you even understand my post?

I don't really care what cybersecurity companies say. It's meaningless. It's of no value to me or anyone. It's really foolish to believe them at face value since they have absolutely no proof at all. no evidence at all. no investigation at all. All they did is speculate. They have never done any investigation. They're just frustrated that the government isn't providing them any information since it's classified.

Did you miss this?
The government declared war on Iraq due to WMD but we found out that Iraq had no WMD through media which showed us the truth so the government screwed up big time. Therefore the government can screw up again. The government said NK was involved in cyberattack against Sony (it didn't say that it has proof) so it's up to us to believe the government or not. You believe the government, that's your choice. You can't tell us to believe the government's statements. We learned a lesson from Iraq war. Don't you remember that the government said that Iraq had WMD? FALSE information! So it's possible that the government gave us false information about NK's Sony hack as well. If the cybersecurity companies doubt that NK was behind it, I believe them ( I bet a lot of people feel the same way). There's nothing you can do about it.

The government declared war on Iraq due to WMD but we found out that Iraq had no WMD through media which showed us the truth so the government screwed up big time. Therefore the government can screw up again. The government said NK was involved in cyberattack against Sony (it didn't say that it has proof) so it's up to us to believe the government or not. You believe the government, that's your choice. You can't tell us to believe the government's statements. We learned a lesson from Iraq war. Don't you remember that the government said that Iraq had WMD? FALSE information! So it's possible that the government gave us false information about NK's Sony hack as well. If the cybersecurity companies doubt that NK was behind it, I believe them ( I bet a lot of people feel the same way). There's nothing you can do about it.

Do you have anything concrete for me to believe otherwise? no? there you go.

Obama needs to send Al Sharpton to North Korea .... pronto!!!!:shock:

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/n-korea-compares-obama-to-monkey-in-hacking-row/njbfz/

North Korea blamed its recent Internet outage on the United States on Saturday and hurled racially charged insults at President Barack Obama over the hacking row involving the movie "The Interview."

North Korea's powerful National Defense Commission, which is headed by country leader Kim Jong Un and is the nation's top governing body, said Obama was behind the release of the comedy that depicts Kim's assassination. The commission described the movie as illegal, dishonest and reactionary.

"Obama always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest," an unidentified spokesman at the commission's Policy Department said in a statement carried by the country's official Korean Central News Agency.

You make decisions for us? Please don't be another Kim Jong-un.

please don't be so defensive. you know very well that cybersecurity companies' statements hold exactly no value when there's no single shred of proof.

listen - they have never done any investigation of any kind, ok? so how can you believe them more than government?

do I believe the government completely? no. but it's what we have for now and if they lied to public... you think nothing is gonna happen? no. they get punished. that's why they resigned with their reputation and credibility ruined.

Since you've made a reference about invading Iraq because they had WMD.... and we found nothing.. guess who lost their jobs with their reputations ruined? there you go.

Oh, I agree ... those that scapegoated Bush and called him a liar have ruined reputations ...

http://www.ibtimes.com/saddam-era-chemical-weapons-now-under-isis-control-reports-1705144

I am sure there a few straggler die hard Obama fans here and there .. they are just delusional

um.... LOL! let them take the chemical weapons back to their base! let them! I trust that their careless handling of aged and rusty shells and rockets would lead to their demise.

According to the Times report, though U.N. inspectors reported finding no evidence of weapons of mass destruction as claimed by the U.S. administration at the time, American troops during their occupation of Iraq found stockpiles of chemical weapons, which were identified as having been manufactured before 1991. The aged and rusty shells and rockets, though unfit to be used as originally intended, reportedly still contained deadly chemical agents.

and... I'm disturbed about this....
The Times report noted that all of the chemical munitions discovered in Iraq were made before the 1991 Gulf war, and had been “designed in the United States, manufactured in Europe and filled in chemical agent production lines built in Iraq by Western companies.”

Back