No one in Texas wants to hire an interpreter!

Have you try find different doctor if this doctor give you hard time?

If it was me I would have find other doctor that would support ADA

Have you try find different doctor if this doctor give you hard time?

If it was me I would have find other doctor that would support ADA

She said none of the drs in Texas will support it.

Lucia, I feel u deserve a certified ASL terp whether u have a CI or not. Hearing people have access to their drs, u should too.

I'm sorry you feel like this. This has apsolutely NOTHING to do with your CI. It's just that I've never had an interpreter either. I would also like an interpreter but if none are available and you need to see a doctor, alternative arangements will have to be made. That's just life.

I hope you have your problem sorted soon. I wish you luck.

I think your frustration is valid given all you have described, but please do not attack those who are trying to help. The members at AD are not the enemy.
I guess Lucia missed this part. Sheesh.

Could we please stop passing judgment on Lucia? It's getting old real fast.
I do not see anyone passing judgment but Lucia, Hear Again.
I feel badly for her and her situation but none of us are the enemy, It is the stupid ones in the medical profession who feel they are exempt from ADA.

ASLGAL, it seems that you enjoy making people feel bad about themselves. Well, I will not allow you to make me feel that way, so welcome to my ignore list. Goodbye, ASLGAL.
I'll use your own words, "You do not know me" or what I feel or enjoy. Ignore away if you must. If you feel badly about yourself it has nothing to do with me.

Tell me the truth - are you all doing this to me because I have a CI? Do you all think that because I have a CI you think I don't deserve an ASL interpreter? If so, shame on y'all.
I see I am not alone in receiving Lucia's anger. That makes me feel better, kind of.

She said none of the drs in Texas will support it.
I can't imagine all doctors in Texas refuse to meet their obligations Shel.
I think Lucia hasn't found the right one yet. There has to be as many resources there as here in Ohio or in DC where you are.
If I were in Texas I'd be standing right beside her demanding she get proper interpretation.

I can't imagine all doctors in Texas refuse to meet their obligations Shel.
I think Lucia hasn't found the right one yet. There has to be as many resources there as here in Ohio or in DC where you are.
If I were in Texas I'd be standing right beside her demanding she get proper interpretation.

I am just saying that was what she said. I dont live in TX so I cant say that there are drs who are very understanding and supportive. I grew up in AZ and have been living on the East coast for 10 years...I can now see how far behind in understanding about deafness the west coast is so maybe Texas is like AZ. Man, I faced utmost discrimination in AZ about my deafness and my needs while here in MD, people are educated about the ADA, terps and etc. I am sure it helps that I live an hour from Gally University but I witnessed the same in Boston when I lived there during my student teaching internship.

I can now see how far behind in understanding about deafness the west coast is so maybe Texas is like AZ. Man, I faced utmost discrimination in AZ about my deafness and my needs while here in MD, people are educated about the ADA, terps and etc.
Really, Wow, I didn't know that, the news always portrays the West Coast as so much more progressive than we easterners who are backward :lol:

I'm sorry you feel like this. This has apsolutely NOTHING to do with your CI. It's just that I've never had an interpreter either. I would also like an interpreter but if none are available and you need to see a doctor, alternative arangements will have to be made. That's just life.

I hope you have your problem sorted soon. I wish you luck.

Bullshit.

Really, Wow, I didn't know that, the news always portrays the West Coast as so much more progressive than we easterners who are backward :lol:

When it comes to gay issues and diversity, yes, but when it comes to disability...especially with deafness and education, in my experience it was the opposite. Besides, AZ is the same state that rejected MLK as a holiday until the NFL threatened to not host the Super Bowl in Phx.

Besides, AZ is the same state that rejected MLK as a holiday until the NFL threatened to not host the Super Bowl in Phx.

Do you like it on the East Coast better or would you rather be back there?
I wonder because I have relatives near a town called Paulden(sp?) and when they come to Ohio to visit they talk about how overwhelmingly green it is.

Why? I think Dreama is sincere.
Poor Dreama may end up joining me on the ignore list.

It is impossible to be sincere right now with Lucia. I tried. We are unfortunately her venting post/whipping boys, so to speak, right now.

I had forgotten about that.

Do you like it on the East Coast better or would you rather be back there?
I wonder because I have relatives near a town called Paulden(sp?) and when they come to Ohio to visit they talk about how overwhelmingly green it is.

I am happy on the East coast..not only for that but for several reasons.

I dont have a CI but I dont hate CIers...
Agreed. I do not think anyone here hates those who have chosen CI's for themselves after they have researched and made their own decision.

This has gone long enough, I feel.

This has dragged long enough, emotionally.

This is beating the dead horse literally.

Some of you may have gotten to know Lucia through this thread, I am glad about this.

Some of you found something new tonight about the discrimination issues out West through Shel90's post. I hope this makes you understand Lucia's pain, her frustration and respect her desire and need to vent about her right to a qualified & certified ASL interpreter.

This is not because she has to book for one, this is because her doctor, by ADA law, has to book it. It is called accessibility and accommodation.

We are unfortunately her venting post/whipping boys, so to speak, right now.

It is too bad that some of us feel the need to think Lucia is using us as her venting posts/whipping boys. How does one feel when one reads this quote? Would members feel free to debate after reading this? I don't think so.

Have some of you actually gotten to know Lucia personally by PMing her? I hope so. She is truly a sweet and sensitive person.

Peace everyone.

Oceanbreeze, guess what? You're a hearing person. You have NO idea what it is like to be Deaf and have to fight for a good interpreter.

Well, I came here to try and suggest something, but as I am hearing, I guess that won't go over well.

Good luck.

Mrs. Bucket!! What happened to your beautiful picture?

Quote:ASLGAL
We are unfortunately her venting post/whipping boys, so to speak, right now.

Qutoe: Mrs. Bucket
It is too bad that some of us feel the need to think Lucia is using us as her venting posts/whipping boys. How does one feel when one reads this quote? Would members feel free to debate after reading this? I don't think so.

Have some of you actually gotten to know Lucia personally by PMing her? I hope so. She is truly a sweet and sensitive person.
It is fine to be using folks as a sounding board as long as the person doing the sounding realizes they are doing such.
None of us deserve to be treated in such a manner.
I am glad you have gotten to know Lucia personally. I believe your view, but she is not showing that tonight. I hope she calms down and really goes back and reads what people have been saying from a less adversarial point of view.

Well, I came here to try and suggest something, but as I am hearing, I guess that won't go over well.
Good luck.
:wave: Hi Interpretator!! I thought you had gone.
You were one of the most welcoming folks when I first arrived at AD!
Nice to see your avatar

Back