No one in Texas wants to hire an interpreter!

Lucia,

Please do not flame me for suggesting this, but what about using a laptop or Blackberry?

I do not have a laptop. I seriously wish I had one. I only have a sidekick and it takes a lot of time to type out many questions to the doctors back and forth and the doctor would not know how to use the sidekick.

Speaking as someone who has known Lucia since 2006, I can say this. She is a loving person, but nobody is perfect. The critisism she is getting in this thread is warranted. We've tried helping her. I've tried helping her via IMs, but she poo pooed every one of my suggestions as well. Lucia is just going to have to figure this out on her own, I'm afraid. :aw:

Oceanbreeze, guess what? You're a hearing person. You have NO idea what it is like to be Deaf and have to fight for a good interpreter.

None of you understand. If you have nothing nice to say about me then say nothing. I've always been on my own and I would for once like to get a qualified interpreter here in Texas. I never had this kind of problem back in Minnesota, in fact in Minnesota everyone is so scared of denying an interpreter that they practically insist on providing one to you no matter what. They are so scared of liability there. I don't know why. But here I have to FIGHT for an interpreter. Here no one cares about liability, they don't care if I sue them, I've threatened to sue them and take them to court and they laugh at me. I've been here since April of 2006 and I am tired of fighting. I am not planning on leaving San Antonio, because I love the Deaf community and I have many caring Deaf friends here for the first time in my whole damn life here so please do not tell me to leave and move back to Minnesota. I had no friends in Minnesota, all of they just used me. I won't deal with that shit ever again and here I have a lot of love and caring in the Deaf community while in Minnesota the Deaf community are all cold people who used me. They were so cold that I did not socialize with any Deaf people at all due to their attitudes, I ended up spending a lot of time with hearing friends but I would now like to be back in the Deaf community and I am finding I like it here very much so I refuse to move away. San Antonio needs to change and start providing interpreters for Deaf people without balking at the costs. We deserve the qualified interpreters.

I've been on my own since I entered foster care at 13 years old. I had to live in an orphanage-type place for 3 years where no one signed and where I was denied an interpreter during the day for school. I was alone. There was no communication at all. I fought for the whole 3 years to get an interpreter provided. I was even denied CC on TVs as well until near the end of my stay. Near the end of my stay there I was finally able to obtain an interpreter for during the day during school hours there - but I had to go to court and sue the shithole for an interpreter and I was finally granted one. These 3 years were the most loneliest years of my life and also the most hellish years of my life as well. I've been through hell and back.

So please don't act like I had it easy. I didn't have it easy. None of you have any idea what that place was like. It was worse than hell.

Last edited:
I'm asking as a fellow AD'er not to jump on each other's throats here in this thread.

I've gotten to know Lucia more and more in PMland rather than clash with her opinions on the board. I encourage you to agree to disagree. Get to know Lucia in PMland. She does have a lot going for her on her plate.

I do feel for Lucia. Some of you may see her as an angry, whining person but to me, she's a very sweet and sensitive Lucia.

Do get to know her as it won't hurt to send a PM to each other.

Remember to agree to disagree or walk away from the thread if you cannot respect the OP's opinions.

Thank you, Mrs. Bucket.

I am proud to be Deaf and love the Deaf culture but sometimes I just wish I could understand speech and speak well because then I would not be dealing with this crap. Please do not call me an audist, I am not an audist, I just find that communication with hearing people is a lot more difficult when I cannot understand speech nor speak. I hate the communication barriers that comes with being Deaf. Yes, I do have a cochlear implant but it is useful mostly for environmental sounds and music due to the fact that I was only implanted in 2006 and I am 28. I wish I had been implanted when I was 11 but because the Deaf community influenced my dad not to go along with the CI so I did not get one until I was 26 so now all I can get is environmental sound and music, no speech or speaking. If I had been implanted when I was 11 MAYBE I would have some speaking and some understanding of speech. I envy HOH people who can understand and speak and I also envy CIers who can already understand a lot of speech and can speak. There are times when I want to bitch somebody out for whatever reason but cannot because I cannot speak and so all my feelings are all bottled up. I just wish communication with hearing people was a lot more easier, that's all. I find it very frustrating at times. Even when I write back and forth it's still not easy. I have encountered people who can't even read what I just wrote, and I have good writing skills, even at McDonald's. I write "I would like a Big Mac, small fries, and a Large Dr. Pepper, please" in clear handwriting. They look at the note and go "WTF does this say?" and they pass the note around their co-workers and no one can understand the note, they act like it is some kind of secret code that they cannot understand. It is annoying and frustrating. Same shit at Wal*mart and other stores as well. I deal with this shit almost everywhere.

If I'd had the entire toolbox (ASL, CI, AVT, Speech and language therapy, and everything that could be of help) when I was a child maybe I would not have such a hard time today.

Bottom line - the communication barriers just suck ass.

Last edited:
Lucia, my own niece is a student at that school. She is in Del Mar. She has signed since she was 6. My daughter in law goes there too, but she is a nursing student. I never said you should "settle" for anything. I only offered a suggestion. I sincerely doubt that the school would allow a first year student to come and jeapordize anything for you. I also gave you good links that I have used myself. Links to DARS, the medical board, etc. These are tools to use.

I am sorry you are hurt and frustrated. It is my sincere wish that you feel better soon.

Don't you see that we do all understand? We hope to help by offering links, good wishes, and care.

That is so not nice to lash out at us, say that we don't understand...but guess what? ....I think we all do. You asked for advice, we gave it to you. Because we care for one another.

I am a mom and a grandma and deaf to boot. I have kids your age. I told you the same thing I would tell them. The same that I would do *and have done* myself in order to try to get the help and respect due to me.

Take care and good luck with your md's. I will leave you alone now, seems I cant say anything else since I am out of good things to say. (Iinsert humor here, just trying to put in a wry smile)

How is that not nice? We care, oops. I see your pic, you look fun, interesting, and bright. It is sad to know that you don't feel well. I sincerely hope that you are much better soon.

Lucia, my own niece is a student at that school. She is in Del Mar. She has signed since she was 6. My daughter in law goes there too, but she is a nursing student. I never said you should "settle" for anything. I only offered a suggestion. I sincerely doubt that the school would allow a first year student to come and jeapordize anything for you. I also gave you good links that I have used myself. Links to DARS, the medical board, etc. These are tools to use.

I am sorry you are hurt and frustrated. It is my sincere wish that you feel better soon.

Don't you see that we do all understand? We hope to help by offering links, good wishes, and care.

That is so not nice to lash out at us, say that we don't understand...but guess what? ....I think we all do. You asked for advice, we gave it to you. Because we care for one another.

I am a mom and a grandma and deaf to boot. I have kids your age. I told you the same thing I would tell them. The same that I would do *and have done* myself in order to try to get the help and respect due to me.

Take care and good luck with your md's. I will leave you alone now, seems I cant say anything else since I am out of good things to say. (Iinsert humor here, just trying to put in a wry smile)

How is that not nice? We care, oops. I see your pic, you look fun, interesting, and bright. It is sad to know that you don't feel well. I sincerely hope that you are much better soon.

I've signed since I was a small child, using LSM first and then ASL. I didn't learn any English until I was 6.

I've used DARS, I've even had my fiance's boss, who does ADA consulting, speak to my doctors and explain to them about the ADA rights. They relented and said they would hire an interpreter and we set up a new appointment. Then two days later they called me back and told me they changed their mind and they aren't going to hire an interpreter for me after all because the doctor doesn't want to and therefore they have cancelled my appointment AGAIN (without my permission!!!). I had my fiance's boss call them back to warn them of the ADA rights but they said they don't care at all. People put up walls everywhere I go. It is tiring.

The picture in my avatar was taken on a good day sometime last year. I like to dye my hair bright colors because it helps me feel a little better. I have more bad days than good days healthwise lately. My health has been declining since 2001. The pain takes a lot away from my energy and I get very tired a lot. I suggest that you read the "Spoon Theory". You can google it.

I'm not going to feel better until I get my hip and my back fixed. My hip and back hurt pretty bad these days now. All I ever want is for my hip and back to be fixed.

I do not have a laptop. I seriously wish I had one. I only have a sidekick and it takes a lot of time to type out many questions to the doctors back and forth and the doctor would not know how to use the sidekick.

I wasn't aware of that. :ty: for the explanation Lucia. :)

Adding criteria to your request that make it difficult to fulfill only increases the chance that you, alone, will be responsible for meeting your needs.

My criteria for an interpreter isn't that difficult to fulfill. I just want a certified and qualified ASL interpreter. That is all. That's not a difficult criteria for them to fill. They go to school to learn how to be professional interpreters and they get the certification as well. We have PLENTY of certified and qualified interpreters here in San Antonio. My fiance works for one of the major interpreting agencies here in San Antonio and they hire only professional qualified and certified interpreters. My fiance's boss is extremely strict about professionalism and about confidentiality issues. She cares about quality too as well and all the interpreters that she employs are qualified - I've met many of them and they are excellent.

Lucia, I am sure I'll catch your anger on this but...

Are you so sure it is everyone elses fault that you feel the way you do?
Are you so sure it is everyone else who is putting up walls and standing in your way?
or could it be the other way around?

Everyone has troubles and trials in life. There are many many many people I know who have joint problems, major illnesses, chronic issues, are deaf, deafblind, and so on but they go out everyday and work or do something.
To angrily tell everyone how bad you have it and they couldn't possibly understand is to dismiss anything they go through as insignificant.

Your last post indicates that your fiance works for a major interpreting service in San Antonio. I am sure with his networking inside the company there should be no problem getting you an interpreter.

I hope you get some help with your physical issues so you can get out and do things or work.
I am sure it is depressing to feel like no one cares but it simply isn't so. Everyone here cares but can do little about it but make suggestions.

I hope things get ironed out for you soon.

Lucia, I am sure I'll catch your anger on this but...

Are you so sure it is everyone elses fault that you feel the way you do?
Are you so sure it is everyone else who is putting up walls and standing in your way?
or could it be the other way around?

Everyone has troubles and trials in life. There are many many many people I know who have joint problems, major illnesses, chronic issues, are deaf, deafblind, and so on but they go out everyday and work or do something.
To angrily tell everyone how bad you have it and they couldn't possibly understand is to dismiss anything they go through as insignificant.

Your last post indicates that your fiance works for a major interpreting service in San Antonio. I am sure with his networking inside the company there should be no problem getting you an interpreter.

I hope you get some help with your physical issues so you can get out and do things or work.
I am sure it is depressing to feel like no one cares but it simply isn't so. Everyone here cares but can do little about it but make suggestions.

I hope things get ironed out for you soon.

You're not in MY shoes. You have no idea how bad my hip dysplasia and my back injury is, so you cannot tell me that I can just go out and work everyday. I tried. I even tried to keep up with college but it got to the point where it hurt too much to walk and get to college, and I was missing too many classes. I had to make the very difficult decision to medically withdraw from all of my art classes, and I was so sad about that. That was in 2004. I had only two more years left of college. I want to finish college so badly but I can't. On my bad days I can't even get out of bed, and that is happening somewhat often now. How am I supposed to ride the bus to either SAC or UTSA and then hike across campus to get to classes if I can't even get out of bed many days? I've been waking up with my hip and even my knees in locked positions lately. Professors will not accept frequent absences and nowadays professors are putting a stop to the old trend where students would only show up for exams and tests. Usually the maximum of 3 excused absences are allowed nowadays. Besides, my major requires me to be there in class - it is all hands-on - I am a graphic art major with a minor in painting/drawing. So I need to be there. I need to be there to visually watch all the instructions from the professors. I'm a very visual person and I do better if I watch things be done physically than if it is explained on paper. Also, being there allows me to ask the professors questions that I need to ask in order to learn what I need to learn for my major and minor. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to pass my classes and I would end up with F's or have to medically withdraw. I had to medically withdraw in spring of 2004 after 3 years. (I began college about a week before 9/11). If I could just get my back and my hip fixed and then get physical therapy I would eventually be able to return to college and finish my degree which would lead to a productive job. I'm tired of feeling unproductive.

Do you have hip dysplasia and a back injury? No? Then you don't understand. You will not understand until you have been in MY shoes. Until then. please don't tell me that I am dismissing others' problems as insignificant - I am not. I am only telling you how bad MY problems are. MY problems are the only ones I know about, I know nothing about other people's problems as I am not in their shoes, so I don't talk about their problems, only mine. OK?

My hip dysplasia is something I was born with, I was born with the worst kind, and I had to have several surgeries, of which the last one was a reconstruction of the left hip. I was fine for the next 18+ years but then in 2001 arthritis and other issues set in due to the damage from the surgeries, especially the reconstruction. I didn't realize it was going to get this bad when I began college. It has progressively gotten worse. I seriously need a hip replacement now. And my back injury was the result of two incidents - the first of which my ex's friend hit me in the back with a small sledgehammer and the second incident was from slipping on black ice and hitting my back right on the corners of the steps (I lived in Wisconsin and it was early January at the time). The result of the back injury also got progressively worse as well. I also recently began getting new symptoms such as RLS, nerve pain (which I had for a couple years) and the newest symptom is my legs and feet going numb. That indicates that there is a nerve issue in my back. This is why I need to see a neurologist and a ortho doctor ASAP. These symptoms needs to be stopped or at least controlled.

You think there should be no problem getting an interpreter from this agency? Think again. I can get an interpreter from my fiance's interpreting agency anytime ONLY if the doctor just would PAY for the interpreters, the problem is that the doctor will NOT pay for any. Professional interpreters aren't free. I cannot expect the interpreting agency to give me free interpreters just because I am engaged to someone who works for the agency. They don't do that. They can't do that. Even if I married him. It's against the rules. It also would not be fair to the other Deaf people and their doctors.

I know nothing about other people's problems as I am not in their shoes, so I don't talk about their problems, only mine. OK?
But you are not dear one, you are dismissing anything and everything about everyone else and assuming that you are the only one who has a hip or back issue. How wrong you are.
You are not in other peoples shoes and appear to have no empathy for anyone else, especially the ones who have been there or are there and are trying to give you suggestions and possible places to try for help.

I'm tired of feeling unproductive.
I think your frustration is valid given all you have described, but please do not attack those who are trying to help. The members at AD are not the enemy.

But you are not dear one, you are dismissing anything and everything about everyone else and assuming that you are the only one who has a hip or back issue. How wrong you are.
You are not in other peoples shoes and appear to have no empathy for anyone else, especially the ones who have been there or are there and are trying to give you suggestions and possible places to try for help.

I have never assumed that no one else has a hip or back issue. I do have empathy for others. You don't know who I am and you are not in my brain either so you have no idea what I think or how I feel, so you cannot claim that I have no empathy for others and their health problems and that I think I am the only one with a back or hip issue. Bug off please. You're so self righteous.

I think your frustration is valid given all you have described, but please do not attack those who are trying to help. The members at AD are not the enemy.

Could we please stop passing judgment on Lucia? It's getting old real fast.

ASLGAL, it seems that you enjoy making people feel bad about themselves. Well, I will not allow you to make me feel that way, so welcome to my ignore list. Goodbye, ASLGAL.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

I've never had an interpreter. My dad usually does it. Once I was supposed to have a cervical smear and they were supposed to get a terp but none turned up so I had to use block capital letters. Not the easiest way to communicate.

How about using pen and paper since your case does sound quite urgent. Just plant yourself at the doctors if they refuse to see you.

I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

I've never had an interpreter. My dad usually does it. Once I was supposed to have a cervical smear and they were supposed to get a terp but none turned up so I had to use block capital letters. Not the easiest way to communicate.

How about using pen and paper since your case does sound quite urgent. Just plant yourself at the doctors if they refuse to see you.

I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.

I do write back and forth but I would really like to get an certified qualified ASL interpreter as it would be so much more efficient to have an interpreter than to write back and forth. I have so many questions to ask and it is going to be a back-and-forth conversation and it won't be easy doing that with paper and pen. So I would really like a certified and qualified ASL interpreter. If I depend on paper and pen I will probably get only two questions answered as opposed to 20 questions answered if I had an interpreter. The difference is like night and day, and yet none of you understand why I need an ASL interpreter, and you all look down on me for needing one. What is so wrong with my needing/wanting a certified and qualified ASL interpreter?

Tell me the truth - are you all doing this to me because I have a CI? Do you all think that because I have a CI you think I don't deserve an ASL interpreter? If so, shame on y'all. CI or no CI, I still deserve an ASL interpreter. I believe I have the right to an ASL interpreter regardless of what the ADA laws say and regardless of whether I have an CI or not - an ASL interpreter IS reasonable accommodation yet doctors are still being assholes about it, and y'all don't think I deserve an ASL interpreter.

Back