No more CC on WB DVD "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

Harry Potter are us SDH. I have no problem with that. If I see there no CC. But there have SDH for hearing implant deaf. I set that. I see no problem. I like that. Harry Potter is a good movie. :D I have no problem with that.

i believe and I reading all of them talk about problem. Both CC and SDH are good english is 1,000%!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not worthy how fast and slow. SDH help to listen the vice and sound too. I like that.

What the deal about the subtitle and caption? I am fine with either those but want add the sound background to understand why are they hearing the strange unearth sound!

Beside the caption is going into digital and not like analog such as we use to have one with machine.

If you prefer analog and then the machine wouldn't understand the digital. It needs a machine that run on digital because we were processing move and cut cable service and return machine back to cable company. My television couldn't caption right such as lot missing word. So my television is a must caption with digital.

Caption with digital can save the fund for people who is reading the different language than just only English. I have seen Spanish caption is exciting for me because I can start practice to learn something.

Beside, the government or ADA wouldn't change anything expect one thing blindness issue. It should have some outline font around it and able see better... i dunno what blind's vision look like but i know it do with color.

So far Blackberry that carry movie can do caption under subtitle, mean digital with caption or subtitle is suit to me.

:ty: @technology make thing easier for us and have access to watch movie.

One thing that I notice that is different about CC and subtitles is:

CC would tell you if there is a sound happening behind scenes.

Subtitles only tell you what word is being said. It usually does not tell you what is happening in background sound wise..

As for my likes, I usually perfer subtitles instead of CC cause it's mor accurate and on time with movie. I hate it when CC gets ahead or behind of what it is I am watching..

The main reason the author of this thread wants CC with solid background because he has eye sight problem and has difficulty reading subtitles against pictures. I am sure he would prefer digital CC if the CC background was solid and appropriate font size.

The whole point of this thread is trying to get DVD makers to add an option for viewers to select solid or transparent background CC. Also, it would be nice if changing font size was available.

I am sure everyone else prefers high quality pictures like High Definition as long as there is some kind of subtitles available so that all deaf people can understand. CC is always number one priorty for deaf people regardless of quality of pictures. If I had eye sight problem and cannot read CC with transparent background or if the font size is wrong, I would complain and look for alternative.

Peter

The main reason the author of this thread wants CC with solid background because he has eye sight problem and has difficulty reading subtitles against pictures. I am sure he would prefer digital CC if the CC background was solid and appropriate font size.

The whole point of this thread is trying to get DVD makers to add an option for viewers to select solid or transparent background CC. Also, it would be nice if changing font size was available.

I am sure everyone else prefers high quality pictures like High Definition as long as there is some kind of subtitles available so that all deaf people can understand. CC is always number one priorty for deaf people regardless of quality of pictures. If I had eye sight problem and cannot read CC with transparent background or if the font size is wrong, I would complain and look for alternative.

Peter

Excellent point made. This is something that may be workable in the future with high-definition titles where people are able to manipulate the look of the subtitles. This should be possible with BD-Java on Blu-ray disc. I should mention it to an Sony insider I know at a forum.

Done, I just posted it. Hopefully he will respond. Here's what I wrote...
To Paidgeek,

I know this will not be in your field but I'm hoping you can pass it onto someone who can do something about this.

Right now, digital captioning is incredibly difficult to deal with for many deaf consumers. Therefore, many Blu-ray supporters decided to go with SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing) which I really do like. However, I think it would be quite a great thing if people would take advantage of BD-Java by giving people more options on manipulating the look/style of the subtitles to make it more readable. The deaf consumers have different preferences and tastes in how subtitles should look. I noticed that such a feature is available on PS3 but it hasn't been enabled for any of the movies that I know of, so the feature is rendered useless if nobody is taking advantage of it.

You also have to remember that there are many deaf people who are slightly or legally blind but still can watch movies, but they do have a hard time reading the subtitles because some of them lack a solid background, or isn't thick enough, and the colouring of the font also can make a difference. For instance, many legally blind people prefer bright yellow markings on the stairs and yellow fonts on websites. That's why I'm suggesting that people should be able to manipulate the subtitles so they can read it better. Myself, I read them just fine. But I do know some people who find it difficult sometimes especially on smaller TVs.

Hopefully somebody will be able to do something about this. Warner Bros. is the worst when it come to their SDH style. It's the most difficult to read of all since the black stroke is rather thin and the fonts are white. So whenever they're in front of a bright scene, it's hard to read them. Sony and Fox are the best. Sony use a solid black background, while Fox use a strong black stroke (which I prefer to the solid black background).

Thanks for your time.

just finished watching HP last night and it was FINE with me while i was watching the thought kept going over to AllDeaf and im like UGH so managed to get the AD off my head and watch the movie in pleasure, NOW u see, its no problem with me... am sorry ur picky about ur CC but be GRATEFUL there is a CC and no complains!

am sorry ur picky about ur CC but be GRATEFUL there is a CC and no complains!

Yup, jus' a picky, ungrateful, ol' deafie here. Ain't no reason to spect the bes' visual affects for these tired ol' eyes, 'cause almos' good 'nuff if I sit real close outta be good 'nuff, right?

Yup, let 'em throw any ol' closed caption on them DVDs.

Wrong. I'm NOT satisfied with good enough for someone else or even good enough for most people. I can't hear the darned movies in the theater, so at least I'd like to see what they say at home since I have to wait for the DVDs and am a very reliable customer and viable market for DVD makers.

And while they're at it, why only caption the main feature? I pay the same money as everyone else for all the extra features I can't enjoy because they don't caption them.

Okay, I am grateful they are improving the home video medium for deafies. It's about time, but the technology is still trailing other visual improvements.

Wait till deafness isn't your only problem.

One thing that I notice that is different about CC and subtitles is:

CC would tell you if there is a sound happening behind scenes.

Subtitles only tell you what word is being said. It usually does not tell you what is happening in background sound wise..

As for my likes, I usually perfer subtitles instead of CC cause it's mor accurate and on time with movie. I hate it when CC gets ahead or behind of what it is I am watching..
Actually, some subtitles show more than just what's being said. I was watching a DVD last night and music was being played in the background. The subtitles showed musical notes which means music is being played in the background.

Not all closed-captioning give you more than what's being said too. They leave things out as well.

For both captions and subtitles, I will see the following...
  • [speaking foreign language] or [speaking Chinese] (or whatever language they're speaking)
  • [watch beeping] or [beeping]
  • [phone ringing] or [ringing]
  • [alarm ringing] or [ringing]
  • [farts] or [passes gas] or [flatulence]
It all varies on the company producing the subtitles/captions.

If I was working in the entertainment industry, I would emphasize on that so that people know what is going on. I would also work with my staff to determine whether too much or too little information is being given.

For instance, there might be sounds of beeping in a movie. We're not supposed to know if it's a watch, an electronic device, a bomb, or whatever... but the caption will ruin it by saying [bomb beeping]. Damn, now I know it's a bomb! Argh! There was even a movie I saw where a mysterious person was speaking and we weren't supposed to know who that person was until later during the show. However, the captioning showed up as "Robert: I have been watching you for the past couple weeks." Gee... now, I know the mysterious person is Robert and he's the guy who's dating this woman!

In both cases, I would have worked with the staff and agreed that only [beeping] and "I have been watching you for the past couple weeks." was used instead of being too revealing. ;)

i watch that movie that i got dvd from walmart and NO CC but can click for languages include English (deaf or hard imparied)

if you lives anywhere in states you can click English and in World whatevers will click speak languages with English and languages also.

I was disappointed that Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix was in SDH, but I brought it anyways and watch it in Subtitle. Like I said before I'll have to deal with subtitle so I'm usual to it now. However some DVD movies doesn't have SDH or CC and I be disappointed like there was a movie that I saw called REDLINE and it wasn't in CC and the Subtitle was in SPA only when I rented it, so I watch the entire movie without CC or SDH.

SweetOrchid, I'm so spoiled by captioning that I carefully look over all VHS and DVD jackets before I borrow from the library, rent, or buy a movie. If it doesn't say CC, English subtitles, or SDH I won't bother to take the movie home, because I hate sitting through a silent movie! It why I seldom go to the theater--not much fun for a deafie.

I'll never know as much about the different media and captioning as Banjo (the Movie Guy), but he's directed me to some interesting research. I think SDH will soon be the captions of choice on DVDs and other modern discs (until something newer comes along, which it will) and SDS will have options to suit almost everyone's taste for viewing.

We might as well give SDH a try, because from now on I don't think there will be any more CC and just subtitles in other languages, like Spanish and French, on DVDs.

SweetOrchid, I'm so spoiled by captioning that I carefully look over all VHS and DVD jackets before I borrow from the library, rent, or buy a movie. If it doesn't say CC, English subtitles, or SDH I won't bother to take the movie home, because I hate sitting through a silent movie! It why I seldom go to the theater--not much fun for a deafie.

I'll never know as much about the different media and captioning as Banjo (the Movie Guy), but he's directed me to some interesting research. I think SDH will soon be the captions of choice on DVDs and other modern discs (until something newer comes along, which it will) and SDS will have options to suit almost everyone's taste for viewing.

We might as well give SDH a try, because from now on I don't think there will be any more CC and just subtitles in other languages, like Spanish and French, on DVDs.

I know that's why I start looking at the back of movies from now on when I rent it, but sometimes a MOVIE that looks too damn GOOD TO WATCH without CC or Subtitle. LOL! But I know it will show on CABLE so I can watch it in CC. Oh well! I'm a MOVIE QUEEN so I watch lots of movies believe me I have tons of list on Flixster on what I have seen and what I don't want to see and WHAT I WANT TO SEE. LOL Also I only pay for membership a month from Blockbuster online and the only thing is I trade in as many as I want without need to pay for anything just the Membership, check 3 out at a time, then trade three in, then they send me three more so I watch up to 6 movies every week.

Pretty much my VHS Tapes have CC and my DVDs has CC and Subtitles, but for other movies that MY MOM likes old movies that doesn't have CC unless they have some Remake of it with CC.

I'm like your mom, SweetOrchid. I have an extensive collection of old black-and-white mystery, romance, and science fiction movies. All have CC. My favorites are Charlie Chan, The Thing, the six Thin Man movies, three of The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Topper. There are about two dozen more you probably never heard of, but your mom will probably know them.

I like taped movies over commercial TV because of better captions, and I can stop them when interrupted and start again where I left off.

Thank you, Banjo!, they will understand :)

Done, I just posted it. Hopefully he will respond. Here's what I wrote...

Quote:
To Paidgeek,

I know this will not be in your field but I'm hoping you can pass it onto someone who can do something about this.

Right now, digital captioning is incredibly difficult to deal with for many deaf consumers. Therefore, many Blu-ray supporters decided to go with SDH (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing) which I really do like. However, I think it would be quite a great thing if people would take advantage of BD-Java by giving people more options on manipulating the look/style of the subtitles to make it more readable. The deaf consumers have different preferences and tastes in how subtitles should look. I noticed that such a feature is available on PS3 but it hasn't been enabled for any of the movies that I know of, so the feature is rendered useless if nobody is taking advantage of it.

You also have to remember that there are many deaf people who are slightly or legally blind but still can watch movies, but they do have a hard time reading the subtitles because some of them lack a solid background, or isn't thick enough, and the colouring of the font also can make a difference. For instance, many legally blind people prefer bright yellow markings on the stairs and yellow fonts on websites. That's why I'm suggesting that people should be able to manipulate the subtitles so they can read it better. Myself, I read them just fine. But I do know some people who find it difficult sometimes especially on smaller TVs.

Hopefully somebody will be able to do something about this. Warner Bros. is the worst when it come to their SDH style. It's the most difficult to read of all since the black stroke is rather thin and the fonts are white. So whenever they're in front of a bright scene, it's hard to read them. Sony and Fox are the best. Sony use a solid black background, while Fox use a strong black stroke (which I prefer to the solid black background).

Thanks for your time.

SDH and CC are the same.

Hello folks,

Well, both SDH and CC are the same. SDH is desgined for digital subtitles includes background sounds but CC is designed for legacy analog line 21 format. If DVD/BD/HD discs mentions SDH or CC, I will buy that.

Tim

My eyes aren't so good either, I prefer the CC because of the black background, and I prefer the large fonts..... I hate it when they use small case letters sometimes... The thing with SDH which I didn't know what it was until now, and realzie I have bought movies in the past, only to be severely disappointed when I discovered these "subtitles" is that as mentioned by the original poster... if the fonts are white, and the scene is say, shot on a lake ice fishing, the white fonts are pretty darn hard to read! with CC you don't have this problem. I guess I don't like change.

I found that if you use torrents or rapidshare and download your own movies and tv shows, and then you get the subtitles at opensubtitles or other subtitle site, then use a program like VSO to convert, you can define your own size, font, and color. A nice thick arial in large size in yellow or red sticks out like a sore thumb, but you can sure enjoy the show! :) Problem is you cannot "disable" those subtitles to lend to a friend, unless they watch on PC and can disable them then.

I would lvoe the ability to select in my dvd player the size and color I want for my CC. that would rock. I have a new Sharp Aquos that was a present to me from Sharp, that is only 21" in HDTV. I sue it for a computer monitor, since the CC that this tv supports are SO THIN and tiny...the font is like a small times new roman..... too small..... really crappy and disappointing. If I could read them at a distance I would maybe put the tv in my bedroom

Vamproxy you should have worked for that co!

Your comment does make senses.

But seriously, one thing that bother me the most is errors in captioning and SDH.

Like for example with Disney movies, they made far more errors with SDH than with CC especially with spelling and timing. Argh!

And SDH on DVD is just plainly ugly...I don't want yellow or words to be on the picture! I want it to on the black bar below the picture, unless you have a widescreen television which is understandable.

Really, with everything that's coming, I am going to miss CC. T_T

Wish we have freedom in picking which one we want, not being stuck to one because of tech. issues.

I understand, you say, becuase I am first time on SDH, SDH and CC are same 100% I understand but I know SDH is no soild background, lot of missing read becuase between Letter and movie white, CC is perfect no white bother on Letter with soild black background... I wish SDH with soild black background and big size

well... no, it appear that most SDH show with excellent shadow outline around the text. It's still readable which far better than OC at theatre.

Back