No more CC on WB DVD "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"

rhr

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I look Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD box, have show "SDH" but no "CC". I play it, no more CC why????, I can't read SDH, it is small font and no soild. I love CC better! but no longer CC for WB!

but I have bought The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, I look Case not show "CC" but only "SDH", I play final it have CC. Disney DVD case not show "CC" but they still play CC

It almost happened to me. I was disappointed with WB is no longer providing
CC but providing SDH that I have been bought "Minors Unaccompanied".
It's disappointed to me. I wish WB should continue providing CC for DVDs.

Edit: Oh! I have an idea if you want to see closed-captioned
from WB you can order from Pay-per-view on Demand, or
waiting for HBO will premiere.

Last edited:
What's the difference between CC and SDH? SDH is Subtitled for the Deaf and hearing Impaired.

I've been doing some research on this question. According to some dictionaries, closed captions and subtitles are often one meaning outside the U.S.

Within the the U.S., technically speaking, subtitles are just "captions," part of the media being projected, and they may be selected or not.

Again technically, "closed captions" are a code in the cassette or disc requiring a special TV set. Closed captions are now usually standardized with white letters on a black background. Some early users are so used to the medium that they are uncomfortable if words are presented any other way.

The new subtitles selections and SDH on DVDs are overprinted on the picture itself (when it fills the screen) without a blocked background. In newer SDH formats, the letters are outlined for contrast and are not lost as some older subtitles were.

I like SDH much better, as they block out less of full-screen features, but it's purely preference.

My research isn't complete and it's only with DVDs, but I'm noticing that DVDs marked "SDH" (rather than "English subtitles" or "CC") seem to have the better qualities of both. For instance, with some, you don't have to turn off your TV's "CC" decoder to view SDH, as you did when selecting English subtitles.

what the big deal? I use subtitles if there no CC. But it still caption when you use subtitles. I got no complaint.

what the big deal? I use subtitles if there no CC. But it still caption when you use subtitles. I got no complaint.

There is no big deal or complaint from me, either. Any words -- even the grossly misspelled, woefully late, and badly flickering closed captions on local TV news is better than trying to read lips on talking heads the way I used to.

Any and all captions on movies are a godsend.

I was only trying to answer a question and stimulate discussion on something I've been looking at with an editor's eye.

I've been doing some research on this question. According to some dictionaries, closed captions and subtitles are often one meaning outside the U.S.

Within the the U.S., technically speaking, subtitles are just "captions," part of the media being projected, and they may be selected or not.

Again technically, "closed captions" are a code in the cassette or disc requiring a special TV set. Closed captions are now usually standardized with white letters on a black background. Some early users are so used to the medium that they are uncomfortable if words are presented any other way.

The new subtitles selections and SDH on DVDs are overprinted on the picture itself (when it fills the screen) without a blocked background. In newer SDH formats, the letters are outlined for contrast and are not lost as some older subtitles were.

I like SDH much better, as they block out less of full-screen features, but it's purely preference.

My research isn't complete and it's only with DVDs, but I'm noticing that DVDs marked "SDH" (rather than "English subtitles" or "CC") seem to have the better qualities of both. For instance, with some, you don't have to turn off your TV's "CC" decoder to view SDH, as you did when selecting English subtitles.

Banjo's World: HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

Maybe you'll find this an interesting read.

Hello Guys,

I look Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix DVD box, have show "SDH" but no "CC". I play it, no more CC why????, I can't read SDH, it is small font and no soild. I love CC better! but no longer CC for WB!

but I have bought The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause, I look Case not show "CC" but only "SDH", I play final it have CC. Disney DVD case not show "CC" but they still play CC

SDH is great enough, even you can watch in progressive scan, such as 480p, 720p and 1080p (in case if you upscale the DVD into 720p and 1080p).

I don't have any problem with SDH on DVD, if you still have trouble to read it then time for you to get blu-ray with smooth, crisper SDH.

I believe that SDH is cost cheaper than CC, even it does greatly associated with portable DVD player.

CC have solid background, I bought new HDTV that i check all model HDTV, I choose and test for HDTV with CC, I like Sony 46" with CC for my eyes perfect then I bought any DVD with CC, I can read it perfect but new SDH don't have soild background, they choose one font, choose one size, some size and font from Company, Disney's SHD is diffrent font and size than WB's Harry Potter... I HATE SDH or Subtitle, I love CC is best

What's the difference between CC and SDH? SDH is Subtitled for the Deaf and hearing Impaired.

you are right about HBO, pay-per-view, etc..
but I want my own DVD at home

It almost happened to me. I was disappointed with WB is no longer providing
CC but providing SDH that I have been bought "Minors Unaccompanied".
It's disappointed to me. I wish WB should continue providing CC for DVDs.

Edit: Oh! I have an idea if you want to see closed-captioned
from WB you can order from Pay-per-view on Demand, or
waiting for HBO will premiere.

NO! you don't understand about SDH

SDH - 100% English, I know but it is fast too run, DEaf can't read and missing

CC - relex and not English, Deaf understand read it and slow easy

I like CC better for slow and short english

I did SDH, i many mimssing and back and forward many time i hate it

I never back and forward on CC

you are right about HBO, pay-per-view, etc..
but I want my own DVD at home

I prefer DVD over HBO, because DVD has better digital picture rather than
digital cable - Motorola DCT2244 that is picture is bad like square per pixel about .5 per inch of height on my 19 inch TV on any channels. However, this version have closed-captioned looks great on digital channels and on Demand for HBO.
I am sorry, I need to explain about how looks at digital cable on my TV.

I have to disgree with that because Subtitles and CC both use 100% English.

i can understand with CC when i watch movies and have no problems with movies why are you complain about that!

but Harry Potter movie can allowed have CC and also English between England and USA 100% im tell YA!

but any movies you would watch that but you can watch with CC if you are deaf they you should watch that movie and no complain!

I always watch movie no matter for me because im deaf i can watch with CC and English because more understand for me than theaters!

but theaters have no CC hard understand!

im using non blu-ray dvd because if you have lots blu-ray dvd for HDTV

i look Harry Potter movie have CC im tell you! but mostly movie have CC and some not have CC they you can click for sub of English that so simple! but i always do that to click sub of english if dont have CC on dvd they can ahead for that but you can doit!

I have Motorola DCT6416, yes small CC shit... I use options and format to 480i, DCT6416 is off CC, HDTV is on CC, perfect about 1 inch on 47" screen

I prefer DVD over HBO, because DVD has better digital picture rather than
digital cable - Motorola DCT2244 that is picture is bad like square per pixel about .5 per inch of height on my 19 inch TV on any channels. However, this version have closed-captioned looks great on digital channels and on Demand for HBO.
I am sorry, I need to explain about how looks at digital cable on my TV.

Nah, both of CC and SDH aren't difference in english, they are full english.

Subtitles are full english as CC does but absence of sound description.

I guess that you haven't watch any DVD movies with SDH from NBC/Universal and their SDH looks nice and crisper, not more crisper as HD-DVD does.

I have Motorola DCT6416, full but no black
that options "Format", you need no letterbox, will be full

The only difference is CC and subtitles just use different color. But they both use 100% English. We know CC always use black and white and subtitles use yellow or white. But I can read them just fine.

I understand, you say, becuase I am first time on SDH, SDH and CC are same 100% I understand but I know SDH is no soild background, lot of missing read becuase between Letter and movie white, CC is perfect no white bother on Letter with soild black background... I wish SDH with soild black background and big size

The only difference is CC and subtitles just use different color. But they both use 100% English. We know CC always use black and white and subtitles use yellow or white. But I can read them just fine.

I prefer subtitles over captions. The captions are not always accurate, the CC is even censored at times, but the subtitles is word for word. Or so I've noticed. In the first Harry Potter I've noticed the caption said "fat arse" but the subtitles (and ACTUAL speaking) is "fat ass". ... why would CC censor? Does CC not want deaf people to know the bad words or what?

Subtitles, no black bg, which is nice, and I just feel it is more accurate.

here is something I noticed on the HP5 DVD....
Under the subtitles options they have:
Engish for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
English

... there's 2 english options, so what's the difference? I found that odd, and is the first time I've seen 2 English subtitle options on a DVD.

Last edited:
Back