Nitro's recent situation

goodonya

Reaction score
It has been interesting reading what happened to Nitrohonda the other night. A difficult situation turned out okay and now it sounds like he is not likely to be taken by surprise that way again.
It gets into a whole new piece of turf when we look at how to protect ourselves when we are carrying. We can still be surprised- we are Hoh and Deaf. There can be a time lag between actual happening and our response. That is a fact sense challenged or not- it is the difference between being a professional and being an amateur.
There are quite a number of cops who while they were rookies out there, gunned down someone that flat out should not been shot. The court system protects them and usually they transfer off to a new start somewhere else - still cops.
I believe 100% in the right to defend life and property. It is no easy thing to carry an unnecessary death upon your conscience. I hope that people are aware of the need for training and review for these kinds of emergencies.
I think we have some good sources among us for factual practical info on the subject. It would be nice to hear from them in this thread - including real life stories of first hand experience.

It definitely is a heavy burden to bear, when it comes to carrying. I will try to find some links on preparation for self defense.

NitroHonda said:
Speaking of threat... I'd like to share that I found myself in a very bad position three days ago. I was working around midnight in a parking lot in central Austin. I was deep inside my trailer doing something. I've got a drop down ramp and a side door but the side door was locked so... a mentally deranged homeless man walked into my trailer while I was in it. When I turned around, I immediately found myself VERY trapped as I had nowhere to go. I screamed at him to STOP. GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT.

He backed off to the ramp door and then started screaming obscenities at me. I reached into a drawer to access my gun safe which I JUST had bolted down the week before and told him that I AM ARMED. GET OFF. GET OUT. That only enraged him even further. After a minute of screaming at me... he finally got off and walked away.

I got out of the trailer and ran up to my truck to grab my phone. After about five or six minutes of wondering what the hell happened and how could I have put myself in such a terrible position. The gun safe had no gun in it yet as it wasn't purchased yet. I only pretended to be reaching for it. I have since gotten a Sig Sauer Mosquito with laser target sighting. I know it's a little gun but that's just what I want.

Anyway, he went around the building and came up to the side of me throwing dirt at me. I ran out to the middle of 6th street and just dialed 911 and told them I NEED HELP 600 LAMAR! I NEED HELP 600 LAMAR! Thankfully they came SO FAST and they took him down. They found him to be carrying an unloaded 9mm Beretta... and heavily intoxicated. I will NEVER leave the side door locked onsite again.

*sigh*

Ah... goodonya definitely paints a good picture. I only knew he was walking up on the trailer because I felt the vibrations from his footsteps. If he had tip-toed on there... I could have been left there with my throat cut open for sure. It is a scary thing.

I would also like to hear other stories too. Helps ME get better at safeguarding and consider things that I would have never thought of.

Concealed Carry

I'd suggest watching Nutnfancy's videos... Just a heads up... Closed captioning works, but it's kinda sloppy in a couple places, because he doesn't speak 100% clearly.

Edit: I'm watching the vids with CC... It's really bad. :( Might have to transcribe it.

I am not so good at this computer it is over on the craigslist threat thread and has meaning for more discussion in this -a thread for it

Got it, thanks. Not related to your original topic, but scary nonetheless.

Without getting into the politics of guns, I would have to say that Nitro did better than I would have.

Nitro: Sorry you had to go through that....I'm sure your cojones have increased in diameter after that incident....

I forgot to mention, the sister-in-law fired my break action shotgun and got a dead arm...lmao
I bought that rifle at an antique mall for $80 all rusted. I had the barrel re-blacked and re-worked the stock... works like a champ and looks good as new, best $80 I ever spent. I gave it to my father-in-law as a christmas present since he loved the rifle so much.

It has been interesting reading what happened to Nitrohonda the other night. A difficult situation turned out okay and now it sounds like he is not likely to be taken by surprise that way again.
It gets into a whole new piece of turf when we look at how to protect ourselves when we are carrying. We can still be surprised- we are Hoh and Deaf. There can be a time lag between actual happening and our response. That is a fact sense challenged or not- it is the difference between being a professional and being an amateur.
There are quite a number of cops who while they were rookies out there, gunned down someone that flat out should not been shot. The court system protects them and usually they transfer off to a new start somewhere else - still cops.
I believe 100% in the right to defend life and property. It is no easy thing to carry an unnecessary death upon your conscience. I hope that people are aware of the need for training and review for these kinds of emergencies.
I think we have some good sources among us for factual practical info on the subject. It would be nice to hear from them in this thread - including real life stories of first hand experience.

There isn't going to be much difference in the reaction time specifically between professionals and amateurs as you call them. You will see a difference between those who practice and those who do not, civilian or police. I used to practice martial arts with some cops, they where the prepared ones. Minimal required training for the police in my area isn't very difficult.

I like to keep my door locked at home even when I'm there. Probably no one is going to try to break in but it does keep drunks from wondering into my house and if someone does kick down my dead bolted door it's a lot easier to know what kind of threat they are.

I brought up my daughter since she was 3, I taught her some life lessons early on and already she has used it a few times.... I always wanted her to be safe and confident in any situation.
These pictures were her younger years, starting out...
Then got on the Demo Team for the school and now a blackbelt !
cillaTKD.jpg

cillaredcompTKD.jpg

They bring up a really good point. This is also a really good reason to carry a revolver instead. Even if you carry with the next cylinder unloaded (as required by law in Utah if you're open carrying), all you have to do is pull the trigger twice, before your boom-stick goes BANG.

No worrying about racking slides or messing with safeties. Point and click, so to speak.

They bring up a really good point. This is also a really good reason to carry a revolver instead. Even if you carry with the next cylinder unloaded (as required by law in Utah if you're open carrying), all you have to do is pull the trigger twice, before your boom-stick goes BANG.

No worrying about racking slides or messing with safeties. Point and click, so to speak.

I'll point out that she still got stabbed with a round in the chamber. Making the the action slower will result in more stabbings. My autos don't have safeties they are point and shoot.

Here is a pointer for those with autos...
You can cock it single handedly but is difficult to do and takes practice as well.

When you draw, press the top against your thigh/buttock area hard and push down, the sight will catch your jeans or even pants pockets, dont baby it, give it a nice hard shove !!!! You are loaded and ready to fire. You might scratch and scrape yourself, but you wont even notice with the ardenaline rush at the momment ( you will when practicing...lol
I have done this and it works, but be very careful... practice when unloaded or nothing in the chamber, use your De-Cocker on the autos so you dont damage the firing pin.

Back