Nintendo games for kids learning ASL?

podiecat

Reaction score
My Granddaughter is 11 and we have always been very close. She is the only one of my extended family who has had any interest at all in signing. In the past, when she would not look at my face while talking, spoke too fast and not loud and clear enough, I would have her wear my industrial strength woodworking hearing protector muffs for hours. That worked like a charm!

Unfortunately she lives away from me now and it is longer times between visits. Last week's visit she showed much less interest signing than in the past (yup, boy craziness is taking over her brain). It was only at the very end of our week when at the airport, she in security room with glass between us, did she start signing with me. It was so much fun for both of us, even though she has forgotten most of what she knew of ASL in the past.

I know nothing about nintendo DSi, other than she has one at home. Do any of you know if there are ASL learning games for them? And if there are, which are the best for an 11 year old girl?

Thanks...

I just checked the whole nintendo site... no ASL games at all. Too bad!!! I would think that would be a great way for kids who are not part of a Deaf community to learn the basics, and have fun also.

Something like this would be absolutely awesome. Sadly, I haven't seen anything that works even on a PC.

The Sign4Me avatar is realtime 3D (as opposed to prerendered) and can do a lot of signs. It could be adapted for a game.

I'm not surprised there are no ASL related video games. The companies probably don't think there's a market for ASL type games. But there are ASL apps and programs to use on the iphone/ipad/android/computer/etc.

Back