News Video clip on CNN.com about CI's

Thanks for the video. It brought tears to my eyes because it took me back to Kaylas hook up and how wonderful technology could be.

Could not understand so any interpreter can put out the words for me and other ADers? Thanks! I would like to know what they say on the video.

i could not get it to play can some one get it to youtube or some site like it?

Female voice speaking to baby:"ba ba ba ba"

Narrator: after 10 months of silence this is the moment that little ben
heard sounds for the first time slowly an audiologist increased
the sensitiviy

dad: benjamin ben ben ben

Narrator:bens turning head (mother in backgound talking to baby "whats
that?!) indicates that hes hearing sounds.

Doctor:we put this device under the scalp

Narrator: bens merge from a silence world to one with sound comes thanks to
a decvice called a CI ben is one of the younges patient to get one
a magnet holds two external microphones in place which transmit sound
to an internal antenna which send the sound to his inner ear

dr. laurn bartells performed the procedure

Dr and mother speaking
mother: hes hearing hes hearing right now
Dr: thats exciting
mother: it is exciting thank you so much(crying)
Dr: were happy to help

Narrator: when bens mother found out he was deaf she began to learn
sign langauge, now her studys have been put on hold. she remembers dr
bartells promise made in this very room.

Mother: if ben was a canidate for implants that he would do everything
he could to get ben to hear my voice. And i just knew that he was the
right dr and that we were going to be okay.

Narrator: ben has two older brothers to help him learn how to speak.

Brother: its going to be easy for us to forget that he can hear because
we are kind of used to him not hearing

(baby crying)
Narrator: right now sounds are frightening to ben. that will change with
time

Doctor: Its exciting in part because i know when this little baby
comes to see me again in 3 year this baby will be talking like a
normal baby and i break down and cry every time.

Narrator: its too early to tell if the implants are a total sucess
his cries indicated something very good is happening. (baby crying in back ground)

Awesome! Thank you for posting that. If you look at the picture at the bottom of my posts, that is a picture of lilly walking into the hearing booth on the day her CI was activated. She had just been activated and was going to the booth for her first test.

Thanks for posting the converation for us! :thumb: I was curious what they say. :)

Female voice speaking to baby:"ba ba ba ba"

Narrator: after 10 months of silence this is the moment that little ben
heard sounds for the first time slowly an audiologist increased
the sensitiviy

dad: benjamin ben ben ben

Narrator:bens turning head (mother in backgound talking to baby "whats
that?!) indicates that hes hearing sounds.

Doctor:we put this device under the scalp

Narrator: bens merge from a silence world to one with sound comes thanks to
a decvice called a CI ben is one of the younges patient to get one
a magnet holds two external microphones in place which transmit sound
to an internal antenna which send the sound to his inner ear

dr. laurn bartells performed the procedure

Dr and mother speaking
mother: hes hearing hes hearing right now
Dr: thats exciting
mother: it is exciting thank you so much(crying)
Dr: were happy to help

Narrator: when bens mother found out he was deaf she began to learn
sign langauge, now her studys have been put on hold. she remembers dr
bartells promise made in this very room.

Mother: if ben was a canidate for implants that he would do everything
he could to get ben to hear my voice. And i just knew that he was the
right dr and that we were going to be okay.

Narrator: ben has two older brothers to help him learn how to speak.

Brother: its going to be easy for us to forget that he can hear because
we are kind of used to him not hearing

(baby crying)
Narrator: right now sounds are frightening to ben. that will change with
time

Doctor: Its exciting in part because i know when this little baby
comes to see me again in 3 year this baby will be talking like a
normal baby and i break down and cry every time.

Narrator: its too early to tell if the implants are a total sucess
his cries indicated something very good is happening. (baby crying in back ground)

Stupid

Narrator: when bens mother found out he was deaf she began to learn sign langauge, now her studys have been put on hold.
STUPID!

You need to give the baby a form a visual communication. If you want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, but teach the baby something. Don't depend on the cochlear implants for everything. What if his auditory nerve goes bad. Are you gonna' give him an auditory brainstem implant and depend on that? STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! If the baby takes off the processor, he's still a deaf child.

The baby should learn some form of visual communication, such as ASL, SEE, or Cued Speech. If they want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, teach him Cued Speech, and let him socalize with Deaf people to learn ASL and have a second language. He can teach them Cued Speech, and he can learn ASL. Give him an identity. Don't let him become some sort of synthetic Hearing person!

STUPID!

You need to give the baby a form a visual communication. If you want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, but teach the baby something. Don't depend on the cochlear implants for everything. What if his auditory nerve goes bad. Are you gonna' give him an auditory brainstem implant and depend on that? STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! If the baby takes off the processor, he's still a deaf child.

The baby should learn some form of visual communication, such as ASL, SEE, or Cued Speech. If they want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, teach him Cued Speech, and let him socalize with Deaf people to learn ASL and have a second language. He can teach them Cued Speech, and he can learn ASL. Give him an identity. Don't let him become some sort of synthetic Hearing person!

I totally agree with you, the doctor was even saying that they dont even know that he can hear any sort of actual speech or that he can make sense of anything or that hes really even responding at all.

My mother always used to say 'dont put all your eggs in one basket' and I think thats what this woman is doing. Shes putting sole responsibility on the CI. I think CIs are an amazing tool, and that we should in every way embrace whatever new technology to improve the quality of life that we can. But I also believe that we are a world that is becoming so dependant on other people and technological devices to allow us to communicate.

I think that she should be hopeful that the CI will work, but since he is young right now, and has every opportunity to both learn sign language and possibly hear to some extent I think both aspects should be focused on. Equally.

It sounded to me like the mother was just really distraught when she found out her son was deaf, and that rather reluctantly she was learning sign language because she saw it as a last resort or her only option. But now that with the CI, her son is showing signs of possibly being able to hear some sort of sound she has just given up at all on allowing him to experience the amazing world of sign language.

Hes just at such a young age that he needs to be learning certain things such as whats allowed and what isnt, this is the age that parents start teaching their children a little bit of what is expected from them. And if you give up on the ability to communicate effectivly with you child, for the ability for your child to just be able to hear I think you have your priorities wrong. Its just like how that book Deaf like me really rubbed me wrong at first. The parents were focusing so much on their daughter to be able to hear, that they totally lost focus of being able to communicate yes and no with her, or any sort of discipline or vital information.

I think thats where it starts to cross the line, when youre so desperate for a child to be 'normal' to be able to hear, that you forget that your first duty is to be a parent and have whatever form of communication possible with the child, because first and foremost you have to teach your child right from wrong.

sorry thats my little rant. :aw:

I think that she should be hopeful that the CI will work, but since he is young right now, and has every opportunity to both learn sign language and possibly hear to some extent I think both aspects should be focused on. Equally.

It sounded to me like the mother was just really distraught when she found out her son was deaf, and that rather reluctantly she was learning sign language because she saw it as a last resort or her only option. But now that with the CI, her son is showing signs of possibly being able to hear some sort of sound she has just given up at all on allowing him to experience the amazing world of sign language.

Hes just at such a young age that he needs to be learning certain things such as whats allowed and what isnt, this is the age that parents start teaching their children a little bit of what is expected from them. And if you give up on the ability to communicate effectivly with you child, for the ability for your child to just be able to hear I think you have your priorities wrong. Its just like how that book Deaf like me really rubbed me wrong at first. The parents were focusing so much on their daughter to be able to hear, that they totally lost focus of being able to communicate yes and no with her, or any sort of discipline or vital information.

I think thats where it starts to cross the line, when youre so desperate for a child to be 'normal' to be able to hear, that you forget that your first duty is to be a parent and have whatever form of communication possible with the child, because first and foremost you have to teach your child right from wrong.
That's exactly right. One of my friends is Deaf, and she has a Hearing nephew. He's only 2 years old, and he can communicate very, very well in sign. What's wrong with raising a Deaf child the same way?

Not stupid! That's the future of deaf society.

I'm on the UCI stem cell committee and we're getting reports of deafened American soldiers returning from Iraq or Afaganistan getting their hearing back as quickly as 45 days from stem cell treatments. Pediatric treatments are being developed now and trials will begin in 3-5 years. And next week elections of chair and vice chairs take place and I'm going to try get myself elected as vice chair.

Richard

Deaf Rehab

Not stupid! That's the future of deaf society.
What, that it doesn't exist? You should still teach people to communicate in a visual medium. There is life after Deaf. Speech therapy, Cued Speech, Sign Language, and written English should all be combined in one's rehabilitation.

What, that it doesn't exist? You should still teach people to communicate in a visual medium. There is life after Deaf. Speech therapy, Cued Speech, Sign Language, and written English should all be combined in one's rehabilitation.

Its a different story when were talking about adults that have previously been completely hearing, and a child that was born profoundly deaf. Its two very separate issues. But with both, I think its totally necessary to implement any and all technological resources that we have to further the education and well being of deaf persons. However, when speaking about children, I also believe that its the duty of a parent to first and foremost focus on the most immediate and effective form of communication, which is sign language. And once you feel comfortable, and if you decide to then by all means go ahead with CI. But still make sure that you are trying to introduce the child to both worlds and both forms of communication. With a deaf child even with a CI, knowing sign language can be a very progressive tool.

I'm with Your_Mom on this one. As far as I'm concerned, a CI in very young babies doesn't mean that we can rule out Sign. I'd still advise parents to get in touch with the deaf community and personally I think the young deafies will be more accepting of the CI than older deafies.

I agree too.

ashttp://kidshealth.org/parent/general/eyes/cochlear.html site quoted:
limited number of electrodes taking over the function of the thousands of hair cells in a normal ear, sounds won't be totally "natural."

We can't expect normal hearing from deaf child even with cochlear implants.

STUPID!

Who cares about being deaf? It's up to their parent and respect their opinion.

Heafie

I also believe that its the duty of a parent to first and foremost focus on the most immediate and effective form of communication, which is sign language. And once you feel comfortable, and if you decide to then by all means go ahead with CI. But still make sure that you are trying to introduce the child to both worlds and both forms of communication. With a deaf child even with a CI, knowing sign language can be a very progressive tool.
I'm with Your_Mom on this one. As far as I'm concerned, a CI in very young babies doesn't mean that we can rule out Sign.
Well, I'm not saying that American Sign Language is the best option, because I don't think it is. I think Cued Speech is the best option. ASL gives you a language, but it's incongruent with English. SEE (Signed Exact English) is congruent with English writing, but it doesn't teach someone how to speak. Cued Speech shows someone exactly what someone says. It's like a visual way of speaking, however, I do believe that a person with a CI should still socialize with Deaf people and be involved in Deaf community. Even if that person with a CI has perfect speech and can understand dialogue, that person should still be involved with the Deaf community, have Deaf friends, sign ASL, etc. After all, if you take off the processor, you're still deaf!
Who cares about being deaf? It's up to their parent and respect their opinion.
Wow, that is not the point whatsoever. It's not about being Deaf. It's having a visual meathod of communication. Just because you have a CI doesn't mean you have to be a Heafie. You can speak well and understand spoken dialogue, as well as communicate in a visual medium. Even Hearing children who use a visual way to communicate show an enlarged vocabulary compared to their non-visual peers. Parents should no depend on the CI to make the child hearing. The only way parents can take care of their children is to love them. Period. How love is expressed is up to the parent– true, but the more education parents provide, the more sucessful that child will become.

Nesmuth.......sorry, but i am very very cynical that the Fda will approve stem cell treatments. The FDA is a lot more politicalized then you realize.
B/c we live in a very capitalist health care country, the fda will usually only approve devices and things that will make companies very rich!
I don't deny that late deafened folks are getting amazing results from treatments.....but i mean it's like the difference between a paralyzed vet and someone who was born with an issue like spina bifida or whatever. the people who were born that way, may gain some extra skills, but most of them will not be cured.
i think that the pedatric trials will show very very very mixed results.
i mean they said that conductive losses would be history by now, but i know lots and lots of people with conductive losses, who can't be helped by surgery. there is a surgery that can cure atresia (no ear canal) but it's just had so many mixed results.
oh and your mom and taric....i totally agree....it does seem like a lot of parents out there are just so prostrate with grief over their kid being speshal needs that they don't realize that those methods can possibly help them.
oh and nesmuth.......some parents might opt for it.....but you know what? there are a lot of parents out there who actually grew up with kids with disabilites, and know it's not some horrible end of the world thing. physcial disabilities can be adapted to and lived with. sure some people see us as being impaired.....but you know what? in a lot of ways nondisabled people are very impaired as well!

Life After Deaf

it does seem like a lot of parents out there are just so prostrate with grief over their kid being speshal needs that they don't realize that those methods can possibly help them.
That's absolutely right. Many parents don't realize there's life after deaf.

Back