Newly implanted, just turned on 2 days ago

Hey,so it took you about 6 mths before you actually heard and understood speech? Was your 2nd implant any better,like quicker or anything? I am trying to be patient and really trying to lower my expectations,very hard for me!! My sign is cancer,stubborn and hardheaded!!!
I don't remember if I read your hearing history. Are you late-deafened or deaf since birth or childhood? Did you wear hearing aids up to the point you needed a CI?

I don't remember if I read your hearing history. Are you late-deafened or deaf since birth or childhood? Did you wear hearing aids up to the point you needed a CI?
I was born hoh,wore ha all my life,the last few yrs i have had a very quick decline,in both ears,now im somewhere in about 10% both ears left. Yes i wore ha till implant,i wear ha in the non implanted ear

Hey,so it took you about 6 mths before you actually heard and understood speech? Was your 2nd implant any better,like quicker or anything? I am trying to be patient and really trying to lower my expectations,very hard for me!! My sign is cancer,stubborn and hardheaded!!!
No I was understanding speech before I left the office, it took me a few weeks to really understand music, almost a year for everything to start sounding normalish inshead of mickeymouseish and robotic. after my 3rd mapping things sounded a lot better, after the 5th was even better, I'm due for a new yearly mapping now, just whenever I make an appointment.

If you have piped in natural gas, you don't have to hear a leak as they put an odor in that you smell. I don't know but would expect propane to be treated the same way.
Have you ever smelled propane? It stinks to high heaven.

Lol,i just wondered if yall were trying to say something in a whole new way!!:)
Nope, you can be talking about WWIII and that damn Squirrel will just come barging through looking for a nut and they scatter everywhere !

No I was understanding speech before I left the office, it took me a few weeks to really understand music, almost a year for everything to start sounding normalish inshead of mickeymouseish and robotic. after my 3rd mapping things sounded a lot better, after the 5th was even better, I'm due for a new yearly mapping now, just whenever I make an appointment.
I sorta, kinda understand whats being said to me,still lip reading though,tv and music is no go for me yet! Hopfully when i go for my 2nd map next mth we can figure out why everything sounds like im in a box or wearing ear plugs!!, and definetly turn up volumn and high frequencies,the remote doesnt make much difference either,as far as changing programs go. Maybe one day I will catch up to ya!

I sorta, kinda understand whats being said to me,still lip reading though,tv and music is no go for me yet! Hopfully when i go for my 2nd map next mth we can figure out why everything sounds like im in a box or wearing ear plugs!!, and definetly turn up volumn and high frequencies,the remote doesnt make much difference either,as far as changing programs go. Maybe one day I will catch up to ya!
some audis are easy on ya, some are aggressive. Mine was aggressive and pushed everything, She was mapping everything high and loud so there were still highs I couldn't hear and never will hear so that was a big goof on her part ( I didn't like her anyways) so I went to another audi and found out she was the one who activated me and I liked her, she listened to my complaints, issues and all, she re-mapped me and it was like heaven and hell.... she nailed it after tweeking everything. She said I couldn't hear the highs and never will so she turned those off, bumped up some that needed to be, turned down some others and it was awesome. Before I went to her I couldn't even tune my guitar and even with the electronic tuner it sounded way off. After her visit, I could tune the guitar by ear and everything sounded really close to normal that I can remember.
**** Take notes of your concerns, what bothers you, what you can and cant hear or any issues with sounds. They can tweek that when re-mapping and take everything into consideration as they go. You get nervous and overwhelmed then forget things until after you leave, so make notes and you can go down the list while there and stay on key with your audi before that squirrel comes looking for a nut and sends you scurrying around...lol

some audis are easy on ya, some are aggressive. Mine was aggressive and pushed everything, She was mapping everything high and loud so there were still highs I couldn't hear and never will hear so that was a big goof on her part ( I didn't like her anyways) so I went to another audi and found out she was the one who activated me and I liked her, she listened to my complaints, issues and all, she re-mapped me and it was like heaven and hell.... she nailed it after tweeking everything. She said I couldn't hear the highs and never will so she turned those off, bumped up some that needed to be, turned down some others and it was awesome. Before I went to her I couldn't even tune my guitar and even with the electronic tuner it sounded way off. After her visit, I could tune the guitar by ear and everything sounded really close to normal that I can remember.
**** Take notes of your concerns, what bothers you, what you can and cant hear or any issues with sounds. They can tweek that when re-mapping and take everything into consideration as they go. You get nervous and overwhelmed then forget things until after you leave, so make notes and you can go down the list while there and stay on key with your audi before that squirrel comes looking for a nut and sends you scurrying around...lol

Is it good idea for CI users to do mapping on their own computer at home instead of traveling to audiologist's office? You can mess with setting whichever works well.

Is it good idea for CI users to do mapping on their own computer at home instead of traveling to audiologist's office? You can mess with setting whichever works well.
CI users don't have that luxury yet

Aaahh,yes i think she did take it easy on me,nothing is loud, i think when i jumped over certain frequencies she turned them down,especially the high,cause it made me dizzy for a second,wasnt used to hearing that! I may have been some of the problem cause if something was a little loud to me i would say that and she would turn it down! Yes your right I do need to start writing all these things down,I did email her the other day and told her some of what was going on with me but i havent heard anything back yet. I will be glad when I can get an audiologist closer to home,then i can meet when needed! Thank you so much for sharing that,I will definetly do what you said!

Aaahh,yes i think she did take it easy on me,nothing is loud, i think when i jumped over certain frequencies she turned them down,especially the high,cause it made me dizzy for a second,wasnt used to hearing that! I may have been some of the problem cause if something was a little loud to me i would say that and she would turn it down! Yes your right I do need to start writing all these things down,I did email her the other day and told her some of what was going on with me but i havent heard anything back yet. I will be glad when I can get an audiologist closer to home,then i can meet when needed! Thank you so much for sharing that,I will definetly do what you said!
I still get that "Brain Rattle" especially shopping carts banging at the stores, I absolutely hate it, it feels like it scrambles your brain for a second, dizziness and eyes shake as well....lmao

I still get that "Brain Rattle" especially shopping carts banging at the stores, I absolutely hate it, it feels like it scrambles your brain for a second, dizziness and eyes shake as well....lmao
Lol,yep thats about what it felt like, I was like wow,cant stand that,but maybe I should have kept it and tried to get used to it,that may have helped with the fact that everything seems to sound like one frequency!:dunno2:

Lol,yep thats about what it felt like, I was like wow,cant stand that,but maybe I should have kept it and tried to get used to it,that may have helped with the fact that everything seems to sound like one frequency!:dunno2:
It will get better with time, you are still in the baby step process.

It will get better with time, you are still in the baby step process.
I sure hope so! You wanna hear something freaky? My phone rings right? ( i dont answer most of the time always blooming sales) i was sitting right by it and my answering machine goes off and i heard and understood what it said,clear as a bell,the tv though is still blah blah,make sense to you?! Not me! Weird!!

Your brain is weird sometimes, But sounds like it is picking it up fairly well... In a few months it will get better, next thing you know, a year has passed and its like second nature. This is whats funny, I sometimes get up and forget to put the CI's on, walk in and turn on my laptop ( youtube videos and music ) or TV and wonder why I cant hear anything and crank up the volume???? OH Shit, I'm Deaf...lol

Your brain is weird sometimes, But sounds like it is picking it up fairly well... In a few months it will get better, next thing you know, a year has passed and its like second nature. This is whats funny, I sometimes get up and forget to put the CI's on, walk in and turn on my laptop ( youtube videos and music ) or TV and wonder why I cant hear anything and crank up the volume???? OH Shit, I'm Deaf...lol
Well I sure will be waiting for it!! Omg, now that is funny!! Your saying to yourself wow what the heck?! Good one,you made my laugh!

Well I sure will be waiting for it!! Omg, now that is funny!! Your saying to yourself wow what the heck?! Good one,you made my laugh!
Yep, I'm trying to figure out why theres no sound and everyones running in yelling " WHY SO LOUD" ? lol

Back