Newly implanted, just turned on 2 days ago

I have really enjoyed reading all the comments, I have a ci coming soon I hope, y'all have let me pretty much know what I have to look forward to, very nervous, but at least getting prepared being on this site, how awesome!
Its really nothing, both of mine were done 45 minutes or less in surgery. Recovery was short and activated within 3 weeks.

Its really nothing, both of mine were done 45 minutes or less in surgery. Recovery was short and activated within 3 weeks.
It took a couple of hrs for mine,just got activated 5 days ago, um not understanding speech of any kind with it at all,a lot of humming,static,muffled sounds. I tried the angel sound app today,got one sound right after listening over and over,it all sounds the same to me notes dont change pitches,havent even thought about doing any listening to speech,cant understand it anyway,sure hope all of this gets better,its rather depressing

It took a couple of hrs for mine,just got activated 5 days ago, um not understanding speech of any kind with it at all,a lot of humming,static,muffled sounds. I tried the angel sound app today,got one sound right after listening over and over,it all sounds the same to me notes dont change pitches,havent even thought about doing any listening to speech,cant understand it anyway,sure hope all of this gets better,its rather depressing
:hug:
Hang in there, BLONDI53. It will just take time.

It takes time for the brain to relearn, everyone is different in how fast you catch on. Don't get discouraged, just listen to familiar things, music...ect... your brain will catch on faster to familiar stuff and then it will be all downhill from there !

Oh wow, that's fast, it took 95 minutes to remove the CI and electrode array from my head and it was older CI model, so I think latest N24 is much easier to remove than N22. My ENT told me if I want to replace with newer N24 so it will add 3 hours to surgery. It was at university hospital, so I decided to not re-implant at all.

You are brave man and I read about you cut the woods 2 days after surgery, but for me, I'm scared to do it.

Oh wow, that's fast, it took 95 minutes to remove the CI and electrode array from my head and it was older CI model, so I think latest N24 is much easier to remove than N22. My ENT told me if I want to replace with newer N24 so it will add 3 hours to surgery. It was at university hospital, so I decided to not re-implant at all.

You are brave man and I read about you cut the woods 2 days after surgery, but for me, I'm scared to do it.
I only chopped wood because no one else would man up to do it for me. I hurt a bit after, but I was careful with how I swung the ax so I wouldn't pull or jar myself. I was relying heavily on wood for heat at that time, so I chopped smaller pieces for kindling to start the fire then threw whole logs on that I only had to stoke once through the night for a total of 4 times a day, just getting the heat to circulate through the house was the issue.

I only chopped wood because no one else would man up to do it for me. I hurt a bit after, but I was careful with how I swung the ax so I wouldn't pull or jar myself. I was relying heavily on wood for heat at that time, so I chopped smaller pieces for kindling to start the fire then threw whole logs on that I only had to stoke once through the night for a total of 4 times a day, just getting the heat to circulate through the house was the issue.

Ouch, I thought that you had wife or older children to do it, so my bad.

I'm sorry that you were attacked by members on this forum over CI and I wasn't involved at all. I stopped attack on people who made a choice with CI in 2008, so it is their choice to get CI, not me, however I only debated about language development for young children, but I stopped after Botts passed away.

The woods are champion as heating the house, even cheaper than natural gas, but at least, natural gas is better than electricity for heating.

The woods are champion as heating the house, even cheaper than natural gas, but at least, natural gas is better than electricity for heating.

If you are talking about cost, it can depend on the source of the electric service (on the grid or solar panels, etc.)

Ouch, I thought that you had wife or older children to do it, so my bad.

I'm sorry that you were attacked by members on this forum over CI and I wasn't involved at all. I stopped attack on people who made a choice with CI in 2008, so it is their choice to get CI, not me, however I only debated about language development for young children, but I stopped after Botts passed away.

Yep, I had an electric furnace but it ran me $600 a month to heat, it was super expensive to run an electric furnace so I burned wood in the wood stove for heat and used fans to circulate it. I should have had a gas furnace installed ( which could be done at any time ) but I was tight on money and went the cheapest route, sadly that was the worst choice, even though the entire house was insulated, it just wouldn't heat with electric. Reason for that is electric furnaces barely warm the air going past a few wire elements where gas furnaces the air goes through a series of chambers and comes out super heated. Electric would heat the house but it took 4 times longer to get it to a comfortable temp. Now the wood stove got the whole house to 90 in about 30 minutes, I had to open windows at one point it got too hot inside...lol

If you are talking about cost, it can depend on the source of the electric service (on the grid or solar panels, etc.)
Solar panels wont run an electric furnace, they draw too much and would kill the batteries in a matter of minutes. Ive looked into solar as I was going to go off grid ( reason for electric furnace ) and found out that was the wrong way. Id been better with an outdoor wood furnace that also heated the water.

It takes time for the brain to relearn, everyone is different in how fast you catch on. Don't get discouraged, just listen to familiar things, music...ect... your brain will catch on faster to familiar stuff and then it will be all downhill from there !
Thats what i have been doing,like with the tv,and cc,thats the way i have been watching tv for yrs now, music, well thats definetly bad! As you can tell im not a very patient person! Guess i expected a little more than what i ended up with! I will keep trying though,i am a very stubborn person also!! Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm super stubborn.... but lower your expectations and let it come naturally... Its not an overnight miracle, Took about 6 months for mine to start sounding remotely normal, My first was 12/2014 and second was 3/2015 and today everything sounds normal but music still isn't 100% yet, I'd give music a 90% at most. There is a lot going on with music, all the different instruments and vocals mixed together, its a lot to sort out at once. Remember Cochlear is geared towards voices, music is an added plus because it doesn't work for everyone.

The size of the element, 15w, 30w..... they both eat electric for breakfast.

Yep, I had an electric furnace but it ran me $600 a month to heat, it was super expensive to run an electric furnace so I burned wood in the wood stove for heat and used fans to circulate it. I should have had a gas furnace installed ( which could be done at any time ) but I was tight on money and went the cheapest route, sadly that was the worst choice, even though the entire house was insulated, it just wouldn't heat with electric. Reason for that is electric furnaces barely warm the air going past a few wire elements where gas furnaces the air goes through a series of chambers and comes out super heated. Electric would heat the house but it took 4 times longer to get it to a comfortable temp. Now the wood stove got the whole house to 90 in about 30 minutes, I had to open windows at one point it got too hot inside...lol

In Alabama, it is standard procedure to install gas furnace for nearly all houses for over 100 years, even natural gas pipes are easily available in rural area on US routes as well, however houses in remote area usually use propane tank instead. Some deaf people complained that they can't hear if gas hiss or leak, but for me, I don't care about it, so life is too short to worry about it. We don't have gas leak in my life.

Yeah, you are correct that heating eat a lot of power so solar panel isn't enough in winter, so need to have wood stove as part of off grid life, but that's not issue if you live in Florida - you don't need heating most of time.

In Alabama, it is standard procedure to install gas furnace for nearly all houses for over 100 years, even natural gas pipes are easily available in rural area on US routes as well, however houses in remote area usually use propane tank instead. Some deaf people complained that they can't hear if gas hiss or leak, but for me, I don't care about it, so life is too short to worry about it. We don't have gas leak in my life.

Yeah, you are correct that heating eat a lot of power so solar panel isn't enough in winter, so need to have wood stove as part of off grid life, but that's not issue if you live in Florida - you don't need heating most of time.

If you have piped in natural gas, you don't have to hear a leak as they put an odor in that you smell. I don't know but would expect propane to be treated the same way.

If you have piped in natural gas, you don't have to hear a leak as they put an odor in that you smell. I don't know but would expect propane to be treated the same way.

Interesting...

I'm super stubborn.... but lower your expectations and let it come naturally... Its not an overnight miracle, Took about 6 months for mine to start sounding remotely normal, My first was 12/2014 and second was 3/2015 and today everything sounds normal but music still isn't 100% yet, I'd give music a 90% at most. There is a lot going on with music, all the different instruments and vocals mixed together, its a lot to sort out at once. Remember Cochlear is geared towards voices, music is an added plus because it doesn't work for everyone.
Hey,so it took you about 6 mths before you actually heard and understood speech? Was your 2nd implant any better,like quicker or anything? I am trying to be patient and really trying to lower my expectations,very hard for me!! My sign is cancer,stubborn and hardheaded!!!

Back