Newly implanted, just turned on 2 days ago

Well reading out loud is not going well at all. I can't even hear my own voice over the dings. Tried reading with my finger in my good ear and somehow that makes it better. Can anyone advise if using an earplug on the better ear is a good idea or not?
Only in Bizzarro World I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying I need to listen to louder than normal sounds to speed up the rehab process? Things are loud enough on normal volume levels. Tried wearing it to my poker game last night but had to turn it off. All the dings from processor were totally overriding my good ear from hearing anything. Trying my best not to get discouraged. Naturally all the guys were messing with me but I took it in stride.

Well reading out loud is not going well at all. I can't even hear my own voice over the dings. Tried reading with my finger in my good ear and somehow that makes it better. Can anyone advise if using an earplug on the better ear is a good idea or not?
Sounds like a good thing to discuss with your audi, but I do know that some audis suggest not wearing a hearing aid in the contralateral ear to help the implanted ear (or more to the point, the brain) to learn more quickly. I make a point of removing my first implant's processor at least some portion of each day so that my second implanted ear can get some rehab time on it's own.

Sorry to say that the results you want will not happen right away. Thats not how it works. Thats why there are mappings during the first year and then it becomes less frequent. I have had mine for a year and half now and it is still not perfect. Better than hearing aids but I still need captioning, ASL, and rely on lipreading. Yes, I do catch a word here and there but not enough to carry a conversation without visual cues. Everyone is different. As soon as I get home, that CI comes off because the world is so noisy and it picks up EVERY sound that is being made. lol

Time and patience is what you need.

Sorry to say that the results you want will not happen right away. Thats not how it works. Thats why there are mappings during the first year and then it becomes less frequent. I have had mine for a year and half now and it is still not perfect. Better than hearing aids but I still need captioning, ASL, and rely on lipreading. Yes, I do catch a word here and there but not enough to carry a conversation without visual cues. Everyone is different. As soon as I get home, that CI comes off because the world is so noisy and it picks up EVERY sound that is being made. lol

Yes, when I had CI, the mapping never was perfect, it was mostly ok to mediocre.

Yes, when I had CI, the mapping never was perfect, it was mostly ok to mediocre.
I am hoping for more than mediocre. Read so many success stories....I want to be one of them. Have my first mapping in the morning...fingers crossed

I am hoping for more than mediocre. Read so many success stories....I want to be one of them. Have my first mapping in the morning...fingers crossed

I'm sucks with CI, but many people are doing okay to good.

I agree that all the noise is exhausting. I had my wife feel behind my ear this morning and this evening to verify what I suspected. After wearing processor all day, scar behind my ear swells up.

I expect that with time and mappings the noise will be less irritating. If your processor is equipped with a volume control by all means use it in noisy situations. Ask your audiologist to include a program to help in noisy situations. I believe that what I am hearing is what I should have been hearing all along, I've got to learn to deal with it. I have found with both HA's and now CI's I can't filter out what I don't want to hear like I could when I was hearing. Again I am working to deal with that. Your swelling will subside as you heal. I dealt with that as well for a couple of months mostly when I was tired at the end of the day.
Good luck to you, be patient and don't let what seems like setbacks hold you back!

just got home from my first mapping. The dings and bells are pretty much gone. It wasn't that my brain needed to get used to it but rather the programming was off. took them an hour to get rid of bells, then when making more adjustments they brought it back and finally got rid of them for good. CI is sounding much more like a hearing aid right now and I am actually hearing language and actual sounds vs "DING". The "sh" sounds are driving me up the wall though. Now I understand why the "shush" gesture is so effective lol. And they did turn the volume up despite me really not wanting them too...par for the course I guess. Now I understand people's comments that CI's sound robotic. But that really doesn't bother me

I agree that all the noise is exhausting. I had my wife feel behind my ear this morning and this evening to verify what I suspected. After wearing processor all day, scar behind my ear swells up.

I had that problem with the swelling from the processor at first but that should go away.

just got home from my first mapping. The dings and bells are pretty much gone. It wasn't that my brain needed to get used to it but rather the programming was off. took them an hour to get rid of bells, then when making more adjustments they brought it back and finally got rid of them for good. CI is sounding much more like a hearing aid right now and I am actually hearing language and actual sounds vs "DING". The "sh" sounds are driving me up the wall though. Now I understand why the "shush" gesture is so effective lol. And they did turn the volume up despite me really not wanting them too...par for the course I guess. Now I understand people's comments that CI's sound robotic. But that really doesn't bother me

Oh I hate the "sh's"...They still drive me nuts to this day. LOL

I've heard people suggest putting moleskin on the processors at least until their ears get used to the processor.

I've heard people suggest putting moleskin on the processors at least until their ears get used to the processor.
no...Not BENEATH the processor but at the very bottom of my scar behind my ear, about 3" below my processor. I just left the gym and it has some swelling right now

I have really enjoyed reading all the comments, I have a ci coming soon I hope, y'all have let me pretty much know what I have to look forward to, very nervous, but at least getting prepared being on this site, how awesome!

Back