New

Valorrian

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm Val. I lost my hearing about two years ago from meningitis. Since then I've been in my house. I don't go out any more. I'm extremely lonely. My friends that I had all left and went to college. I was suppose to go too but I got sick. I'm angry and depressed a lot. At times I think I'm going crazy. I'd like to meet some deaf people here and just chat. I could use some friends.

Hello and welcome! Feel free to join in and enjoy all this website has to offer.

Hi, Val, welcome to the community; I'm new here too, starting to lose my hearing due to Meniere's. Have had it for a long time on left side and now getting it on my right.

Hello and Welcome! Depression and mental health issues are awful. I've had them myself and I have now been cured with medicine. So their is light on the other end of the tunnel. It just doesn't feel like that at the time. Have you seen a councillor. That would help too and to learn sign language if you haven't already done so.

Hi, Val, welcome to the community; I'm new here too, starting to lose my hearing due to Meniere's. Have had it for a long time on left side and now getting it on my right.

Hi A.K.,
What is Meniere's?

Hello and Welcome! Depression and mental health issues are awful. I've had them myself and I have now been cured with medicine. So their is light on the other end of the tunnel. It just doesn't feel like that at the time. Have you seen a councillor. That would help too and to learn sign language if you haven't already done so.

No, I don't go to a therapist. Recently, I've decided to face my issues and start to do something about them. I've tried to ignore my hearing loss for a couple of years now and I can't do it anymore. I started the process of getting a cochlear implant but today was notified that I didn't qualify for one. I'm going to have to deal with my hearing loss as is. This is a big blow as I was hoping to be hearing again soon and go back to my old life. Now, I'm going to have to accept this and move on. I just don't know how. I am thinking if I ever want to have a full live again I'll need some help - therapy.

My mom has hired someone to teach me sign language privately. I'll go tomorrow for my first lesson. I'm very anxious. Any time I go out now I seem to have a panic attack. Do you sign?

You are deaf blind? I started therapy. I just went to one session so far. Yes, I'm also learning some sign language. It is going slow but I am realizing that it is going to be easier to communicate if I know it. I am not a good a lipreader. I see a lot of people here say that they can lipread. I am not that good at it. Maybe I'd be better if I didn't get so anxious.

You are deaf blind? I started therapy. I just went to one session so far. Yes, I'm also learning some sign language. It is going slow but I am realizing that it is going to be easier to communicate if I know it. I am not a good a lipreader. I see a lot of people here say that they can lipread. I am not that good at it. Maybe I'd be better if I didn't get so anxious.

Therapy might be a good idea because we are pretty blunt in here.
We are a family, though, a place where you are welcome no matter how bad you have been.

Last edited:
Greetings from old analog, ha Val looking around sight trying to find your story got bits and pieces, so your 20 something ben deaf for 2-3 years having trouble accepting, hum,,, no fair , wate up, what about me, and the biggy why me, why not one young that can make a stand, do research, fight the stereotype deaf and doum, it's hard being young, harder yet being given something you don't want, like my friend Johnny find her at Johny and friends. Com

I cannot take a stand right now. I’m still not there yet. I need full acceptance of who I’ve become first. Having meningitis and the after effects really shook my confidence. It’s not just being deaf I also have cognitive issues I’m having to accept. I get frustrated easily at thing that use to come easy for me, now I struggle with. It is hard. I am doing better then before though. I have come a long way since I posted all that. I communicate with my family in ASL and even have requested interpreters at appointments. I am adjusting and accepting my new normal but it’s slow going and that’s ok. I am moving forward in the right direction.

Hello, Valorrian. I use to visit this site in (some of) my most desperate moments; today I've found this post of yours from two years ago that describes how I've been feeling since forever. How are you doing now?

No, I don't go to a therapist. Recently, I've decided to face my issues and start to do something about them. I've tried to ignore my hearing loss for a couple of years now and I can't do it anymore. I started the process of getting a cochlear implant but today was notified that I didn't qualify for one. I'm going to have to deal with my hearing loss as is. This is a big blow as I was hoping to be hearing again soon and go back to my old life. Now, I'm going to have to accept this and move on. I just don't know how. I am thinking if I ever want to have a full live again I'll need some help - therapy.

My mom has hired someone to teach me sign language privately. I'll go tomorrow for my first lesson. I'm very anxious. Any time I go out now I seem to have a panic attack. Do you sign?
I hope your first lesson went well. Sign language is beautifully expressive.

There are many resources to get help on other fronts. Therapy and support groups; some meet over Zoom or similar services if you want to try them from home first. All the best to you

Back