New York Drivers Named Most Aggressive, Angry in U.S.

WhisperHorse

Reaction score
NEW YORK - New York has overtaken Miami to be voted the U.S. city with the angriest and most aggressive drivers, according to a survey on road rage released on Tuesday.

Miami topped the annual poll for the last four years but voters in 25 major metropolitan areas gave New Yorkers the prize for angriest, most aggressive drivers who tailgate, speed, honk their horns, overreact and lose their tempers.

The response of New Yorkers to bad drivers also helped push the city into the top slot for road rage.

"New Yorkers were most likely to wave their fists or arms. They were most likely to lay on the horn and they were most likely to make some sort of obscene gesture," said Michael Bush, of the marketing and consulting company Affinion Group, which commissioned the survey.

Dallas/Fort Worth came in second as the worst road rage city followed by Detroit, Atlanta and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Miami ranked a distant seventh.

Baltimore, Sacramento and Pittsburgh rounded out the top five cities with the most pleasant drivers.

Portland and Cleveland were voted to have the most courteous, considerate drivers.

"The real surprise to me is that there is no geographic way to break down road rage," Bush told Reuters. "It is very much on a city-by-city basis, as opposed to geographic area."

Talking on a cell phone was the behavior that irked motorists the most, with 84 percent of people citing it as the behavior most likely to incite road rage.

Driving too fast, tailgating, and eating and texting behind the wheel also caused stress and incited road rage.

Nearly 50 percent of the 2,518 people who took part in the AutoVantage Road Rage Survey also said other drivers frequently cut across the road without notice.

More than 25 percent of people in the telephone poll reported seeing drivers putting on make-up, shaving and reading while behind the wheel. A quarter said slamming on the brakes and running red lights sent their tempers flaring.

Detroit and San Francisco had the most text-happy drivers, while Miami won the distinction as the city where people were most likely to shave, read or put on make-up while driving.

Most people, 43 percent, reacted to bad driving by honking the horn. But 36 percent resorted to cursing, 13 percent waved their fists or arms and 10 percent made an obscene gesture.

Seven percent were so angry they called the police and one percent admitted they had slammed into the car in front of them.

"In Washington, D.C., four percent of drivers admitted to slamming into another driver," said Bush. "They stand out in that one particular category."

#10- San Diego, Califorina
In the Driver’s Seat Road Rage Survey, commissioned by AutoVantage, has ranked the least courteous drivers by city. San Diego is this year's 10th least courteous city in terms of road rage compared to 24 other major American cities. (AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

#9- Cincinnati, Ohio
Cincinnati ranks ninth on the top 10 list, a substantial drop from last year’s sixth most courteous designation. (AP Photo/Tom Uhlman)

#8- Houston, Texas
Drivers in Houston are tied with San Diego for the No. 1 spot in terms of seeing others drive too fast every day. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

#7- Miami, Florida
For the first time in four years, Miami has been unseated as the least courteous city. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)

#6- Phoenix, Arizona
Drivers in Phoenix tied Cincinnati as most likely to report sending text messages and e-mails and/or using their BlackBerrys while driving every day. (AP Photo/Matt York)

#5- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
Twin City drivers ranked No. 1 as most likely to report eating or drinking while behind the wheel every day and the second most likely to admit to driving too close to the car in front of them. (AP Photo/Dawn Villella)

#4- Atlanta, Georgia
Atlanta ranked No. 1 (tied with San Diego) as the most likely to see other motorists slamming on their brakes at the last minute and No. 2 for seeing other motorists run red lights and cutting into other lines without warning. (AP Photo/Ric Feld)

#3- Detroit, Michigan
Drivers in Detroit (tied with New York and Sacramento) ranked No. 1 as most likely to make an obscene gesture in response to rude or aggressive driving. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

#2- Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Dallas/Fort Worth drivers ranked high for several road rage-inducing behaviors: No. 1 for admitting talking on cell phones behind the wheel, No. 1 for confessing to tailgating and No. 1 for cutting people off with little or no warning. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

#1- New York City, New York
New York has overtaken Miami to be voted the U.S. city with the angriest and most aggressive drivers. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

New York Drivers Named Most Aggressive, Angry in U.S. | Comcast.net

#10 San Diego | America's Most Agressive Drivers Revealed | Comcast.net

That's very interesting to see that >.>

What? No San Juan from Puerto Rico? It's most horrible traffic by many aggressive drivers. They're amazing.

not surprising. I hate NY drivers in NJ. They're incredibly incompetent and reckless. everytime I encounter an incident with a car in NJ, it's always a NY driver. I shouted - "f**king New Yorker! Learn how to drive, asshole!"

not surprising. I hate NY drivers in NJ. They're incredibly incompetent and reckless. everytime I encounter an incident with a car in NJ, it's always a NY driver. I shouted - "f**king New Yorker! Learn how to drive, asshole!"

I cant stand aggressive NYC taxi drivers in midtown Manhattan...they drove me nuts and nervous!

I knew it was bad in Miami...just surprised that Jacksonville wasn't listed also!

Not surprised! My parents rented a car and they had close calls like 10 times in one fucking day! They realized it gotten worse in nyc compared to long time ago. If I visit nyc, ill be sure to take the train and bus instead.

F**k NJ! :cool2:

remind you that they could have been born in the other states and moved to NYC. Therefore bad drivers in NYC are not nyc's fault. :eek3:

I cant stand aggressive NYC taxi drivers in midtown Manhattan...they drove me nuts and nervous!

every single time I ride in NYC - I have to combat with taxi drivers. They don't care if they're going to hit me. Sometimes when they're so obvious about it (such as intending to hit me), I just speed up next to their driver seat and make a threatening gesture like - "ME CALL INS" :mad2:

That's why I bought DIY parts to construct the camera holder this weekend so i can record my trip for my own protection (video camera mode).

F**k NJ! :cool2:

remind you that they could have been born in the other states and moved to NYC. Therefore bad drivers in NYC are not nyc's fault. :eek3:

lol they're bad drivers because they don't drive often in NYC so their driving skill get rusty. we NJ are hardcore drivers on daily basis so I'd say we're better than them :o

lol they're bad drivers because they don't drive often in NYC so their driving skill get rusty. we NJ are hardcore drivers on daily basis so I'd say we're better than them :o

Har Har.. :roll: That's what Nj peeps think that way. HA! :eek3: i know pure nyc drivers do drive pretty good. :shock: so Too bad that we won't have proof based on native nyc drivers. :cool2:

Cool! Been there in NYC/NJ now you know what it is like to drive there with stick!

Sorry that I said cool cuz I am in New York.:-D

#9- Cincinnati, Ohio
Cincinnati ranks ninth on the top 10 list, a substantial drop from last year’s sixth most courteous designation. (AP Photo/Tom Uhlman)

I would have to disagree with it because I've drove so many times in Cincinnati and I recently went there 2 weekends ago. The drivers in Cincy are so incorrigible. They are so ruthless and shrewd. They're not even courteous at all.

When I was driving on I-71 in downtown Cincinnati, I just had passed by the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Stadium on the middle lane and there was an exit lane ramp approaching up. I saw the SUV that was on the far outer left lane whizzed right over from left lane all the way to the right lane in front of me and few other cars on the other lanes just barely in time to make it to get on the exit ramp. :eek:

a little clarification - I'm referring to New Yorkers as those who reside in New York City. Those who reside in upstate NY.... I have no beef with them.

just 5 boroughs - Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island

well, don't you realize that lots of li peeps lives in LI yet they do drive to NYC for work. Lot of them work in NYC. :giggle: how can you tell if drivers lives in NYC or LI.

well, don't you realize that lots of li peeps lives in LI yet they do drive to NYC for work. Lot of them work in NYC. :giggle: how can you tell if drivers lives in NYC or LI.

I'm talking about NYC residents who own car. They can't drive for shit and it's pretty easy to tell if they're from the boro or not lol. Trust me..... people driving some raggy-ass car are certainly not from upstate or LI :lol:

I don't know. lots of LIers go to NYC everyday like they pracitically lives there. They even go there for social time too. :hmm: they own old cars going to nyc as well. The problem is that lots of them used to live in NYC and moved to LI but going to NYC for job or social time.

many of them drive to NJ for malls (cuz clothes are tax free), gas stations (NJ gas is MUCH cheaper than NY gas), and Bear Mountain

He is right, I could tell whether they from nyc or not. No way NYC dcar owner have perfect car!

Even you are right about Upstate New Yorker, yet I have seen plenty of drivers in upstate that are anal.

I'm talking about NYC residents who own car. They can't drive for shit and it's pretty easy to tell if they're from the boro or not lol. Trust me..... people driving some raggy-ass car are certainly not from upstate or LI :lol:

Back