New to hearing aids

Ambiebear

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I don’t think I’ve publicly posted on hear before nice to meet everyone!

I recently got my audiology exam done and have mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears with my left ear doing a bit better than my right.

I am going to be getting hearing aids through Amplifon as that’s the only company my insurance works with. Does anyone know roughly how much a pair would cost me? How long they take to get used to? Just general hearing aid knowledge

I was born with a hearing loss now 34 For me my in the ear Canal hearing aids are about $2300 each. I have the starkey brand. They last about 5 to 6 years if you take care of them. My left just broke so now I’m looking to get a new pair. Here are some tips from a life time user.

1. I have found it to be more affordable to get my hearing aid batteries from Amazon. Mercury free last longer if you doing disposable battery hearing aids.
2. I dread knowing that I’m going to have to get new hearing aids. It’s annoying and somewhat painful for me. What works for me is I will wear them for a few hours after my appointment then I take them out for the rest of the day. When I wake up I will try to wear them until my brain hurts or ears hurt. Your brain is working hard to make sense of the new information that is coming in and how to process it properly. Give it time. Then I repeat that till I get through the day. Never accept the first fit settings. After a month or 2 go back and get your settings adjusted to your Liking. Also make sure they are fitting well and are comfortable. My air pod pros are way more uncomfortable then my hearing aids. You should forget that you have something in your ear until you put your head on a pillow and hear the feed back. That is how comfortable they should be.
3. Buy a freaking ton of batteries and hid them every where. Nothing pisses me off more then having a dead hearing aid and no batteries. I mean every car. At work. At parents house. Gf/bf house. I keep a wheel of batteries on me at all times.
4. I know it sounds bad but I don’t know if I can do rechargeable hearing aids. Batteries deteriorate over time and you never know when your going to have a late night or go camping and not have the time or ability to change your hearing aids. Just my stand on it.
5. Don’t drop them. They can break if they do it’s about $400 each to get fixed if they are out of warranty. Personally I have never used a warranty on a hearing aid.
6. I can’t remember how long it takes to get the hearing aid in probably about 3 weeks. Remember they are custom made.

That’s all I got for now. Until next time. Q.

I am older and have worn a BTE (behind the ear) hearing aid since the 1970's as one ear is completely deaf. I have had no desire to use one that is all in the canal as even the smallest BTEs are large enough to be easier to put on and take off. Anymore some want bright colors to shown them off rather than blend with hair color. BTEs also have the advantage of ear molds that, if still fitting well, can be switched to a new aid or aids. Being a woman I do not put batteries in multiple places but keep some in my purse at all times. Have even given a battery to someone else and later gotten repaid in kind rather that figuring out the price of one battery. For the 675 size that I use I have come to prefer my local Walgreens as a source but it has been awhile as I bought quite a number of packs on sale.

I do agree with Mr Q about the idea of rechargeable aids going dead at the worst time. Remember you can't wear and recharge at the same time!

Back