New to Deaf Community.

EsmeTafolla

Reaction score
Hi! I am in my early 20’s and I have been a hearing person since birth. I speak Portuguese and I can write/read in English very good, but I speak it poorly. Anyway, in 2019, I have tumors in my ears so I had to get my ear canals removed in 2021. I have been devastated because I can no longer hear. It is hard to be confident and in public. I am trying to accept this now. I have learned some BSL (Brazilian Sign Language) & ASL. But I am wanting to learn more so I can teach my family because they are willing to sign with me. I hope someone here can connect with me and help me learn more and share their experience.
Snapchat: ema_ashley
Obrigada!

Last edited:
Hi! I am in my early 20’s and I have been a hearing person since birth. I speak Portuguese and I can write/read in English very good, but I speak it poorly. Anyway, in 2019, I have tumors in my ears so I had to get my ear canals removed in 2021. I have been devastated because I can no longer hear. It is hard to be confident and in public. I am trying to accept this now. I have learned some BSL (Brazilian Sign Language) & ASL. But I am wanting to learn more so I can teach my family because they are willing to sign with me. I hope someone here can connect with me and help me learn more and share their experience.
Snapchat: ema_ashley
Obrigada!
Hi Ema. How are you? Sure, I can help you and your family. One thing, are there any Deaf people living near you especially Deaf community? I take you are in Brazil. They can help you such as they have fellowships, events, things like that in your town if any. Just you have to go a little deeper researching on the net. You can ask them to tell you where there are classes as well. One thing, I do not have snapchat. Sorry.

Hi Ema. How are you? Sure, I can help you and your family. One thing, are there any Deaf people living near you especially Deaf community? I take you are in Brazil. They can help you such as they have fellowships, events, things like that in your town if any. Just you have to go a little deeper researching on the net. You can ask them to tell you where there are classes as well. One thing, I do not have snapchat. Sorry.
Thank you for response. I know the resources that are available. After my surgery I had got packets. I been to events that’s how I learned BSL. I'm wanting to learn more ASL because I travel to US for work often. We don't learn ASL in Brasil. My family knows Brazilian Sign Language enough. I'm not wanting to teach them ASL though just BSL. They can't handle all that jaja. I have taken courses of ASL. But it would be nice to have a ASL friend to zoom with and grow from. I just put my Snapchat for those who use it, it is not the only video chat I use. I should have said this to have people understand what I mean.

Thank you for response. I know the resources that are available. After my surgery I had got packets. I been to events that’s how I learned BSL. I'm wanting to learn more ASL because I travel to US for work often. We don't learn ASL in Brasil. My family knows Brazilian Sign Language enough. I'm not wanting to teach them ASL though just BSL. They can't handle all that jaja. I have taken courses of ASL. But it would be nice to have a ASL friend to zoom with and grow from. I just put my Snapchat for those who use it, it is not the only video chat I use. I should have said this to have people understand what I mean.
You are welcome! So, you want more of ASL. That is great you travel to the US for work. What do you do for work? I love to travel but have not been to Brazil yet. Someday! Yeah, I sure do have Zoom. I will send you private message.

I would recommend you to learn ISL (International) so you can communicate with ANYONE on this planet Eyeth.

I would recommend you to learn ISL (International) so you can communicate with ANYONE on this planet Eyeth.
No you can't communicate with EVERYONE on this planet. They have to know that same sign language you are using.

Somehow I missed this thread but Welcome Esme. I hope you have found people to connect with since you posted a few months ago. How have you been? Have you found Deaf Events in your area to join in with your family? Sending all the best.

Did you bother to look up International Sign Language before commenting? It helps to educate yourself before arguing with someone who has more knowledge about a topic than yourself.

This quote from an article about International Sign Language may help you understand better what I was trying to say. "International Sign requires its speakers to have a knowledge of other sign languages; it doesn’t really work without knowledge of at least one of the more expansive signed languages that were used to create it"

So what do you expect it the person you try to use it with does not no any sign language?

Hello, I am new here, I am Deaf, user of LSC, I want to learn ASL. Thanks.

Greetings from Colombia

Back