New to all of this

Thanks..... it's just really tough adjusting to this. I know that i need to accept it to move on with life, and I am trying to, but it's just going to take time I guess. I guess I'm still "grieving" over the loss of my hearing. It's just so bizarre to be in NYC and walk in the streets without hearing the cars, the honking, rude people talking, etc.

I'm like stuck in the middle at the moment. Clearly no longer a hearing person, but not really a functioning deaf person yet either because I don't yet know the language. Soon though!

-Lauren

Yeah, Lauren, people like you have it the hardest. You're born hearing and a regular all your life till one day something turns it upside down. Nothing you can do but adapt to the new jungle. Those who were born deafdon't face this struggle (usually) because it is not something they have experienced, they are lucky.

Like you, I was born hearing but quickly lost it in one ear from a fever and progressively lost the other. I'm from a different situation, I'm what they call the betweeners.

that's a great way of describing it. I have accepted now that this is how I am, and i just want to learn to deal with it and move beyond the isolation that I now feel.

:welcome: to AD.. You will find several people that have suddenly lost their hearing at one time or another on this forum.

Hi Lauren,

I am new to all this, too, though in a different way than you. I am a hearing person, but I recently started taking ASL classes online. Learning to sign has been a long-held desire of mine. I found this site and your postings just today and my heart just goes out to you.

I just wanted to encourage you in this new chapter of your life; I think it is natural to grieve as you move from what you know to what you do not know. You strike me as an amazingly strong woman and this is a new world for you and it is perfectly okay for you to take some time to find your footing. I'm sure there will be times when you wish you could hear this or hear that, and those moments may even be down-right hard to not hear, but I think there are some truly spectacular things that await you, too. What I've been reading about the deaf culture is truly amazing. I suspect you will meet people who will, in time, grow to be some of the most influential in your life! I'll be praying for you and I will be checking back to see how you are doing!

(Hey...I'd love to know if you have a blog or something sharing with others how this transition is going for you...I think it would make an amazing blog!) :) All my best!!

Thanks..... it's just really tough adjusting to this. I know that i need to accept it to move on with life, and I am trying to, but it's just going to take time I guess. I guess I'm still "grieving" over the loss of my hearing. It's just so bizarre to be in NYC and walk in the streets without hearing the cars, the honking, rude people talking, etc.

I'm like stuck in the middle at the moment. Clearly no longer a hearing person, but not really a functioning deaf person yet either because I don't yet know the language. Soon though!

-Lauren

Last edited:
Hello Lauren,

Some of the technologies you can use are what the others have posted.

However, if you feel like you're having a hard time using ASL but are trying to call Pizza Hut for a nice, delicious, water-devouring pepperoni pizza at 10PM, try this site: https://www.sprintip.com/index.jsp

Basically, Sprint IP-Relay is a type-as-you-go relay service. You basically register yourself, login, then put in the phone number to your nearest, awesome Pizza Hut (though I am just hypothesizing) and wait for the operator to call. By the time you get to a person picking up the phone, the operator will translate the person's words for you and then you type in your own words to the pizza man. By then, 40 minutes later, the doorbell rings and you got it! :D

If you feel like you want to talk to Mom or Dad, bro or sis, anyone, try this site for the phone: https://www.sprintcaptel.com/ You have to register yourself first, log-in after activating your account, type in your phone number, then type in someone else's. The operator will type what the person says, but you will be speaking INSTEAD of typing. :) I have tried this and it's awesome. Confidence boosting, but then again I use Sprint IP relay when I feel like I don't want to use my voice.

There's a lot to being deaf than just hearing loss. You just pick yourself up, become more resourceful with the internet, find businesses/places online, make your call via two different services I listed then off you go.

I hope I've added my two helpful cents to giving you an easier transition in your life. :) Yes, hearing loss is significant but sometimes life's that way. You plan, plan, and plan, achieve them and then find a detour that just will get you mad, angry, frustrated, depressed, but you know that it's just one more challenge, an obstacle you can get over.

I wish you the best of luck, Lauren, and be safe!

Thanks so much - This really made me feel good. Interesting idea on the blog - didn't consider that!

Hi Lauren,

I am new to all this, too, though in a different way than you. I am a hearing person, but I recently started taking ASL classes online. Learning to sign has been a long-held desire of mine. I found this site and your postings just today and my heart just goes out to you.

I just wanted to encourage you in this new chapter of your life; I think it is natural to grieve as you move from what you know to what you do not know. You strike me as an amazingly strong woman and this is a new world for you and it is perfectly okay for you to take some time to find your footing. I'm sure there will be times when you wish you could hear this or hear that, and those moments may even be down-right hard to not hear, but I think there are some truly spectacular things that await you, too. What I've been reading about the deaf culture is truly amazing. I suspect you will meet people who will, in time, grow to be some of the most influential in your life! I'll be praying for you and I will be checking back to see how you are doing!

(Hey...I'd love to know if you have a blog or something sharing with others how this transition is going for you...I think it would make an amazing blog!) :) All my best!!

Wow, this is great. Thanks so much!

Hello Lauren,

Some of the technologies you can use are what the others have posted.

However, if you feel like you're having a hard time using ASL but are trying to call Pizza Hut for a nice, delicious, water-devouring pepperoni pizza at 10PM, try this site: https://www.sprintip.com/index.jsp

Basically, Sprint IP-Relay is a type-as-you-go relay service. You basically register yourself, login, then put in the phone number to your nearest, awesome Pizza Hut (though I am just hypothesizing) and wait for the operator to call. By the time you get to a person picking up the phone, the operator will translate the person's words for you and then you type in your own words to the pizza man. By then, 40 minutes later, the doorbell rings and you got it! :D

If you feel like you want to talk to Mom or Dad, bro or sis, anyone, try this site for the phone: https://www.sprintcaptel.com/ You have to register yourself first, log-in after activating your account, type in your phone number, then type in someone else's. The operator will type what the person says, but you will be speaking INSTEAD of typing. :) I have tried this and it's awesome. Confidence boosting, but then again I use Sprint IP relay when I feel like I don't want to use my voice.

There's a lot to being deaf than just hearing loss. You just pick yourself up, become more resourceful with the internet, find businesses/places online, make your call via two different services I listed then off you go.

I hope I've added my two helpful cents to giving you an easier transition in your life. :) Yes, hearing loss is significant but sometimes life's that way. You plan, plan, and plan, achieve them and then find a detour that just will get you mad, angry, frustrated, depressed, but you know that it's just one more challenge, an obstacle you can get over.

I wish you the best of luck, Lauren, and be safe!

Jeeeebus you old wives, she's only 19! Surely no kid anytime soon! (Ok, not my business)

;)

Lots of new people to meet in NYC from here if you want to meet them glick! I go to Ithaca frequently myself.

:roll:

Jeeeebus you old wives, she's only 19! Surely no kid anytime soon! (Ok, not my business)

;)

Lots of new people to meet in NYC from here if you want to meet them glick! I go to Ithaca frequently myself.

you silly! i know that you kidddding me all the time. you know me that I like it just to be on the safe side for anything is for the future. :P

Hey everyone,

New 19 yr old chick from NYC here. I actually just lost my hearing a few weeks back when I suffered pretty bad damage to the cochlear nerve in a car accident. I'm completely deaf. I'm doing well, but this is quite an adjustment.

While obviously the communication issues are a real challenge, emotionally I'm having a tough time coping with missing the regular, arbitrary sounds in life - Like running water, the engine of a car, etc. I'm expecting the sounds to be there, but of course they are not. I am also finding that I'm lacking confidence when speaking, even though I know I probably sound fine. I'm talking less and less just because I have no idea what I sound like. I'm starting ASL classes (along with my family and some close friends) at the end of next week. I know that learning ASL will be a big help. For now, I'm trying to read lips (so much tougher than it seems) and using pad/paper.

I have a ton of questions, and am really looking for others who have been in a similar situation and who are close to me in age.

-Lauren

:wave: Hi Lauren, Welcome to AD! I lost my hearing when I was 4 years old. I have no memory of "normal" hearing. I wore hearing aids until about 5 years ago when the last of my hearing finally got up and left. I have an idea of what it is like to have hearing and then not have hearing. Sometimes I still "hear" something like a car engine and then I realize there is no car near me so it's all in my head. This happens all the time and it took a while to learn to ignore those sensations of sounds.

You may want to consider getting a hearing dog. I used to have one (he died a few months ago). A hearing dog is great because you feel more confident in not relying on others to be your ears. A dog can be a comfort and a source of protection (quasi protections as the dog is trained to be gentle not protect). A dog can also be a nice conversation starter so you get involved with the people around you more quickly.

I can only imagine what it must be like for you to go from "normal" hearing to being deaf overnight. I am glad you survived and I hope you find the answers you are looking for here. And once you find your answers, I hope you stick around to help the next one like you that finds her way here. :ty:

Thanks guys. It's a tough adjustment for sure, but I know I'll make it. It ain't going to be easy though!

-Lauren

Thanks guys. It's a tough adjustment for sure, but I know I'll make it. It ain't going to be easy though!

-Lauren

Curious. Did you sustain heavy damage to the cochlear/vestibular nerve without damage as well to nerve VII as well?

No- I have damage to my facial nerve as well that has caused facial paralysis. That's proving to be easier to deal with. The docs say the facial paralysis is likely temporary.

Consider it!! :lol: Write it!! I think it would be so interesting to chronical this transistion. Even if you decide not to do a blog, do a journal for yourself. Ten years from now you may want to reflect on this time and you will be greatful to have a journal to reference. Keep the faith, girl!! :wave:

Thanks so much - This really made me feel good. Interesting idea on the blog - didn't consider that!

NYC has a lot of resources that will help and benefit you. There's Center for Communications (formerly NY League for the Hard of Hearing); a few CI clinics to choose from (your insurance will / should cover this); HLAA meetings and support groups (Hearing Loss Association of America). Hamilton Captel app for your iPhone; Clear Captions app for your iPhone. Be sure to go to the exposition in August 21st at the South Street Seaport and in Union Square area on Sept. 24th.

Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your hearing. Look on the bright side, at least you know what speech is supposed to sound like, so I have a feeling you will be able to communicate with little problems. Anyway, my name is Mollly, I am Hearing, and I have been taking ASL classes over the summer. I would love to talk to you. You can message me on Facebook (you can find me by name Molly Nekut), or on Skype ( mollz28). Hope to talk to you soon!

No- I have damage to my facial nerve as well that has caused facial paralysis. That's proving to be easier to deal with. The docs say the facial paralysis is likely temporary.

Lucky , I do have facial nerve paralysis that is permanent. It makes me pretty self concsious.

Back