New Neptune CI processor- Swimming?

iowaboy

Reaction score
New Neptune processor- able to swim with it! I think this must be the platinum replacement.

The PDF is at neptune.pdf

why anyone want to swim with a processor on? i would imagination it falling off real easy when surfing and it would be noisy.

Though... I'm gonna look into this. I can probably get this easily, and would be a cool device to have i guess.

Neat. I had a dream a couple weeks ago about something like this. In the dream, I was in the pool and there were several kids with CIs and they were swimming with the CIs on.

As a person who does go swimming almost everyday- can't see the advantage of having a water proof implant. What does one expect to hear? Also, after swimming disconnect to dry off-how long? Real quiet in the meantime.
I discovered there is music playing from a tape for swimmers at the pool I swim in.
Thanks to Bottesini: play dance music from auditory memory.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
The water thing I thought was kind of cool. Not just for swimming, but accidental drops, peace of mind while fishing or boating, etc. Also I want my daughter to be able to hear the life guard whistle, and have continuity communicating with her friends in the pool or doing anything else where she or the processor might end up in the drink, intentionally or not.

Also, the ingress protection bit is cool. Being sealed against sand, dirt, or particulates would sure come in handy in Iowa on a farm.

My daughter currently wears her harmonies on her collar using kinderclips. The off-the-ear setup has worked so well for her that its hard to imagine hanging something on the ear. This kind of goes that route.

I actually think the Neptune could be awesome. There are people who do want to HEAR while swimming/in the pool/etc.. like kids who go to swimming parties and stuff, they want to be able to hear their friends and stuff. I think this could be very handy for those kids/people who want to hear at the pool. I myself would actually like this too. I've avoided going swimming just because I can't hear, I just feel awkward being at a pool around other people and not being able to hear what's going on. I'm quite eager with what Advanced Bionics is doing. I believe there is a clip that is attached to the Neptune so you can clip it to hair/swimsuit/whatever, or if one is really afraid of losing the Neptune while surfing and such, there's always swimming caps too I guess. Don't know how that would interfere with hearing since the mic is on the coil, and if it's covered up with the cap, I don't know how well that would work.

There is supposedly a new hearing aid coming out in June that can be worn while swimming, too. I don't care that I can't hear when I'm just swimming laps, but I like to take water aerobics classes sometimes, and it would be great to be able to hear the instructor in class.

Also for Masters Swimming, would be great to hear the coach.

Great for long summer days at the beach, or boating/surfing, when kids are in and out of the water and hands are often tied up holding lines or maintaining balance. At least, that's my experience with Li. Even when she's in the water when we're boating/swimming, we often find that she's facing another direction, using her arms, or otherwise unable to sign as easily as she can hear/speak and so we tend to waterproof the CIs for those times. If you think about how much time a kid is actually submerged when around the water, it's pretty low. We then really bag them up, tie them to us or the boat and tuck them away when she's doing things that involve being fully submerged. If she were on her own, I could see them being tossed onto a towel when she runs into the water -- easy to lose that way. I'd rather they be fully submersible and stay with her even if she's not using them under water.

But ... we don't have those :)

interesting, i dont see much use for swimming with it on but what I like is that it's water proof and dust proof. That's what we desperately need!

And I always WANT a tiny processor but not behind my ear. I prefer without it - something that's very light and can be worn around my neck or my arm or my pocket. I am not fond of processor behind the ear.

I allways worn something on my ears all my life. The is the first time that I see that AB finally gave a offical Ingress Protection Rating to their processor.

I'm looking into cochlear implants and I've read the literature AB has. With the harmony processor they tout the superior localization provided by the t-mic and the ability to use headphones and phones with the t-mic.
This processor essentially relocates the microphone to a few inches behind and above the auditory canal. I imagine there would be a ton of noise from hair and that drives me crazy with my hearing aids.
However, I'm going on our annual family trip to the beach next month and I hate worrying so much about my hearing aids. My naiads will be covered in ear gear and thoroughly dried.
I do surf and I'm ok with not hearing while surfing but I hate waiting till my hair dries enough to don my hearing aids.

Advanced Bionics has a body worn processor where the mic is located on the coil (nothing behind the ear). They've done this for YEARS, and I haven't heard of people having much issues with hearing their hair brushing across the mic and that sort of thing. The mic in the coil is nothing new with AB.

This brings up another question I have not thought before. How can you use a cell phone with the mic on the coil. Is that a issue at all?

Advanced Bionics has a body worn processor where the mic is located on the coil (nothing behind the ear). They've done this for YEARS, and I haven't heard of people having much issues with hearing their hair brushing across the mic and that sort of thing. The mic in the coil is nothing new with AB.

This brings up another question I have not thought before. How can you use a cell phone with the mic on the coil. Is that a issue at all?

Just move the phone right next to the mic. Used to have the S-series processor (still do but will never be used anymore :()

bbaseballboy123-

I would like to speak with you regarding your two different processors. We are considering this option for my daughter. Are you available to chat offline? Thank you, Sharon email: cbra2@aol.com

The rumor appears to be somewhat true. AB has contacted my family about flying out to California to do some marketing for the new-to-the-states Neptune processor. Since it hasn't been approved yet here in the states, they wont be using *working* Neptunes, but mock-ups. Maybe I'll take some pics if we go.

I doubt you'll be able to take pics if it hasn't been released on the market yet... You can't take pics in certain places due to the rights and such they have in their own factories etc...

Back