New Neighbors

CareyJay

Reaction score
I'm moving into a new apartment in a week. It'll be the first time I've lived neither with my parents nor in a dorm. The lease talks about quiet hours and keeping things at a "respectful volume", and I'm a little concerned. I don't think my music is loud, but I can't/shouldn't make assumptions about how it sounds to other people.
My first idea (immediately rejected because announcing a weakness seems like a bad idea) was to post a note on my door saying something along the lines of "Hi! I'm your new neighbor! If the volume of my music annoys you, please just come let me know rather than reporting me to management. I am hard of hearing and don't always realize how loud things sound to you unless you tell me."
What would you suggest for handling the issue?

I'm moving into a new apartment in a week. It'll be the first time I've lived neither with my parents nor in a dorm. The lease talks about quiet hours and keeping things at a "respectful volume", and I'm a little concerned. I don't think my music is loud, but I can't/shouldn't make assumptions about how it sounds to other people.
My first idea (immediately rejected because announcing a weakness seems like a bad idea) was to post a note on my door saying something along the lines of "Hi! I'm your new neighbor! If the volume of my music annoys you, please just come let me know rather than reporting me to management. I am hard of hearing and don't always realize how loud things sound to you unless you tell me."
What would you suggest for handling the issue?

why don't you go to your neighbor and introduce yourself? have a wonderful little chit-chat and then let them know to contact you if music is too loud.

but generally... you shouldn't be playing loud music after 10pm till morning. it's a common courtesy.

I'd use headphones - it's a much better situation in apts because walls can be very thin (easy to hear through) in many apt buildings.

When I was living in my Apt, I made sure that my landlord (lived on site) knew that I was Hoh/Deaf and gave them permission to let the suites directly in contact with mine (floor, ceiling, left and right) know that in case of noise issues to just come see me and I'd fix it! I also made sure to introduce myself personally to the neighbours to the left and right of my suite - explaining I was hoh, and that if there was ever a noise issue please just come see me and I'd fix it right away!! (I also asked if there was a fire alarm, if they could please ring my door bell so I'd know - which they always where very very good about).

In the 8+ years I was there, I only had someone come knocking once - and it was because my kitchen fire alarm was going off in the middle of the night (faulty battery or something) and I didn't hear it while sleeping ... they wanted to make sure I was ok.

I also asked my landlord for permission to install a doorbell (sonic alert signaller - flashes the lights) so I'd be able to tell if someone was at the suite door (I also put a small sign saying "Please Use Doorbell" on the door).

For the apt I had (and still have) a Sonic Alert signalling system (door, phone, sound signaller, alarm clock etc)- which is "install free" and runs through the electrical outlets.

One important tip - make sure you use a electronics grade surge/power & "noise" protection bars between the signallers and the wall to prevent electrical "talk" between apts (mine used to go off whenever a neighbour turned on their cable tv box lol - until I put in the surge protectors)

but generally... you shouldn't be playing loud music after 10pm till morning. it's a common courtesy.

That's the problem. I don't know what loud is by hearing person standards. I don't play my music at a volume that sounds loud to me, but I don't know at what point they consider it loud.

That's the problem. I don't know what loud is by hearing person standards. I don't play my music at a volume that sounds loud to me, but I don't know at what point they consider it loud.

well since you're hard of hearing... you're obviously going to be listening to music which is loud to hearing people but not loud to you.

you can simply ask your parents or hearing friends to do sound test for you.

You recognize that you are HOH, this would elude to the fact in order for you to enjoy your music, it must be at an increased volume to a normal hearing person. I full agree with the above statement of "after ten" pretty much everyone SHOULD quiet down. Hardly ever happens, but it is a courtesy thing. An introduction helps, explaining the situation, but again, even if your are friendly with your neighbors they may still get annoyed.

Just a thought, mentioned by Bottesini, why not headphones ? Wireless. You will "hear" more music quality and your neighbors will not. Skull Candy has some pretty amazing stuff on the market.

You could love the people upstairs from you, but if they put a bowling alley in their bedroom while you are trying to watch tv..........not going to make for a good relationship.

Just my thoughts.

Might not be a wise idea to announce(the note on your door) to the world about your hearing loss if you know what I mean....

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Tousi said:
Might not be a wise idea to announce(the note on your door) to the world about your hearing loss if you know what I mean....

I wouldn't recommend announcing that one is hoh/deaf on the door either.

The only thing I had was a tiny sign saying "Please use doorbell" - nothing more.
It made a huge difference because I was the only door that had a doorbell and it made people aware to use it (but not the "why" behind it).

Last edited:
I agree with whomever said to just introduce yourself to the neighbors. It's the friendly thing to do anyhow. I didn't meet mine until our condo association meeting...and discovered one was a former student!! (I'm kind of a hermit when I get home I want to be alone, not put on the public image face...I teach all day I have to be all positive and outgoing all the time!)

If you make the move, you'll avoid the neighbors all getting together and talking about you behind your back, thinking you're being inconsiderate. I know my deaf friend has had his downstairs neighbors call about his workouts. Apparently he set his weights down heavily on the floor and they just heard these loud bangs from their ceiling.

Then again, I can hear my neighbors on one side run their vacuum, or stomp up and down the steps, but nothing else like their TV. In my previous apartment I never heard ANYTHING, even from right above me. The apartment before that I heard every step they took on my ceiling. It depends on the building, so relying on your neighbors is better than a sound check at home.

I like the headphones idea, but if that's not an option (they aren't for me, I need to feel the music) then you are best off knocking on the door of all your neighbors all around - 2 doors to the right, 2 doors to the left, 2 floors down, 2 floors up, AND the neighbors to the back of your apartment - anywhere that the sound will travel!- and introduce yourself and let them know that you are unsure about the volume of music, so if it's too loud after 10 pm to come and let you know and you will be glad to turn it down.

I had my girlfriend tell me that apparently, I slammed down the toilet seat too hard. WOuld not help it as I would not hear it. Go figure.

at this point - I wouldn't worry about it. either turn it off at 10 pm or don't move there. There is no way around the rules landlord sets up. They can just evict you if you continuously disregard, claim its not too loud.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Here's the thing - if the music is loud enough to feel (without headphones) it's WAY too loud for an apt at any time of the day, or night.

While apts have "quiet time" rules about not making excessive noise before or after certain times, that doesn't mean you can blare music during the day that your neighbours can hear in their suites.

Your options are going to be listen with headphone or make sure you move into a cinderblock made building that is extremely sound proof wall to wall and ceiling to floor (which is hard to find and expensive).

There are a number of great wireless headphones available that would allow you to listen to music & the tv at any volume you want - use those.

Back